Am I in the wrong here?

King Richard

Hello there
Mar 23, 2006
Wouldn't you like to know
Long story short, I'm a warehouse manager and in the front of the warehouse there is a sales counter for people to come in and buy seals (hydraulic and pneumatic seals). There's this regular that comes in who is a loudmouth know it all, who acts all buddy buddy with the other people I work with. The past two days he's come in and done something that has really disgusted me. Each day while the inside sales guy is helping him and walking through the warehouse to match up his seals, he walks over to the sink right next to the sales counter and cleans his glasses with the paper towels hanging on the wall, and leaves the paper towels on the roll.

I shit you not, I had this look on my face each time: :guh:

To me, that's just utterly disgusting. Those are the paper towels I use to dry my hands after I wash them.

After I noticed it the first day, I told myself, "If this guy does that shit again I'm calling him out on it." Low and behold, the very next day he does the same shit so I did what I promised myself, I called him out on it.

I said, "Hey buddy, you want to do me a favor and throw away those paper towels you just cleaned your glasses with?"

He looks at me with a puzzled look on his face as if to say "are you serious?"

He paused a second and said, "Oh yeah sure." While in his head he is saying, "Who the fuck is this guy telling me what to do."

So I just stared at him and watched him throw the paper towels away just to show him I was being serious.

Since he was somewhat nice about it, even though I know he really wanted to tell me to fuck off, I decided to pull the whole kill 'em with kindness tactic and refrained from giving him the ol' Rick special in the form of some verbal abuse. I just replied with, "Thanks, I really appreciate that."

He just gave me another look like I'm fucking nuts or something but whatever.

He's lucky I value my job because if I had reacted the way I wanted to I would have called him a nasty motherfucker and kicked him out of the building.

Anyways, what would you have done?

Pretty much the same thing you did. But I would say "hey, you mind throwing those paper towels away?"

I have a moderate case of OCD when it comes to cleanliness of my hands and if I were to interact with something that would make my hands dirty. That's not to say I don't get dirty, or I'm afraid to get my hands dirty. But if I am about to eat something, or do something with my hands that I think requires them to be clean then I have to wash them. Seeing that guy defile my paper towels like that and just leaving them there for me to wash my hands and then dry them with his nasty glasses shit smeared all in them just made me sick to my stomach. It makes me sick just thinking about it. Is that weird?

Nope, I think you handled that about right. People tend to throw away paper towels after they use them. That's just... you know... how it works.

That guy shouldn't be using a paper towel to clean his glasses to begin with. That's horrible for them.

You should come to Hong Kong King (if it bothers you that much). Seriously, no one would even do as much as drop a napkin on a sidewalk. There are so many bored cops all over the place.

I would have called this guy out on it but probably wouldn't have been as nice as you were about it.

I used to work Counter Sales awhile ago selling Electrical material and know it all/ignorant customers seemed to swarm that place. Every one of them expected something for free and a couple of times i had to throw a few of them out.

Thats really a Seinfeld moment. I would just put up a sign that says "Throw away the towels" and put it up next to the sink the very next day

I wonder if he leaves the toilet paper on the roll after wiping as he took a shit.

Glasses have body oil on them. Plus, the guy would have had to rub his hands all over the paper towel, and god knows how long it's been since he washed them.