am i the only one?( arcturus reference)

Garm hadn't really developed much vocal dynamic before The Sham Mirrors. AHS, LMI and Borknagar's first two albums demonstrate his limited range as a baritone, and it wasn't until the turn of the millenium that he developed a capacity for higher pitches. Because of this, I cannot favor Garm's vocals in Borknagar over Vortex's superior dynamic performance on his two efforts with Borknagar, and Arcturus.

Garm hadn't really developed much vocal dynamic before The Sham Mirrors. AHS, LMI and Borknagar's first two albums demonstrate his limited range as a baritone, and it wasn't until the turn of the millenium that he developed a capacity for higher pitches. Because of this, I cannot favor Garm's vocals in Borknagar over Vortex's superior dynamic performance on his two efforts with Borknagar, and Arcturus.

The Sham Mirrors wasn't noisy
Actually it does have a low, noisy production.

Aspera has aged really poorly for me, I can hardly stand it nowadays. Fall of Man and Bodkin & the Quietus are good songs however.

Anyhow, I think LMI is Arcturus' most enduring, coherent and atmospheric release. Has been a favorite since I first managed to wrap my mind around its weirdness.
Can anyone recommend something in a similar vein to LMI? No Solefald please.

Actually it does have a low, noisy production.

Aspera has aged really poorly for me, I can hardly stand it nowadays. Fall of Man and Bodkin & the Quietus are good songs however.

Anyhow, I think LMI is Arcturus' most enduring, coherent and atmospheric release. Has been a favorite since I first managed to wrap my mind around its weirdness.
Can anyone recommend something in a similar vein to LMI? No Solefald please.

If by similar you mean carnivalesque, I can really only think of Ephel Duath's Rephormula. It's quite different though.

I listen to The Chaos Path more than any of the other songs on LMI, but for the songs that Garm sings, I don't think Simen does them any better, but maybe that's because he performed them live (I have the DVD). Basically, Garm is perfect for the songs he does. I also like Simen's performance on The Chaos Path better than pretty much any of his performances on Sideshow Symphanies.

Zeph you might know the answer to this, who writes the vocal lines? I assume on LMI, Garm did it all, even on The Chaos Path; and that Simen did it on Sideshow Symphanies. Maybe that's why I like Simen better on LMI.

I listen to The Chaos Path more than any of the other songs on LMI, but for the songs that Garm sings, I don't think Simen does them any better, but maybe that's because he performed them live (I have the DVD). Basically, Garm is perfect for the songs he does. I also like Simen's performance on The Chaos Path better than pretty much any of his performances on Sideshow Symphanies.

Zeph you might know the answer to this, who writes the vocal lines? I assume on LMI, Garm did it all, even on The Chaos Path; and that Simen did it on Sideshow Symphanies. Maybe that's why I like Simen better on LMI.

Simen wrote the lyrics, so it's likely he wrote the vocal melody as well. I'm looking at the LMI booklet and it doesn't mention who wrote parts of which songs.