Heavy Metal Chicks! Am I the only one?!

speed said:
This is an old post- but since you resurrected it, with my quote, I ll continue it.

I have noticed Ragged Doll, that early to mid 30's women do actually like metal- I suppose because it was popular wheb they were teenagers,and in their early twenties. Most of these women, just like the hair bands, but many love metallica, maiden- megadeth.

Still, by and large, except for nu-metal marilyn manson goth girls, very very few young 16-25 year old girls listen to metal at all- and if they do- they are usually white trash- or were subjected to it by their brothers.

Im glad you dress for yourself- so not give into to social conformity.

What about someone like me? Oldschool punk, who is as addicted to metal as I am old political punk bands. The old hair bands did nothing for me. I started out with ac/dc when I was 10 then was subjected to an older brother. He started on punk, then went to metallica, to Kreator, Slayer, Morbnid Angel, Then branched off into everything. Many a day I came home from school to Dark Throne blasting on the stereo.
After years of "come here and listen to this!", "Did you hear how fucking amazing that is?" and not to forget his little demon voice when he says Voivod, you gain an appreciation for the music, and the bands themselves.
I mean, I turn 28 soon, I'm a little sister, I dress alot like Ragged_doll does, and I have a 7 yr old son who currently is addicted to Ozzy. I guess what I am trying to say is, never underestimate a little sister. I mean my last bf was a seroius lover of Cannibal Corpse. The world stopped for that! Well....all but sex. lol
My brother may have introduced me to it, but I took it from there. As I am now passing it onto my son. There was a point to this. I think I just lost where I was going. Oh ya, Metal chicks. I know quite a few that were heavy into hair bands but I luckily escaped that. I was drawn to the darker side of metal. I do still like Dark Throne, and usually get picked on for liking black metal. But I have to say I find Sepultura most relaxing, and Type0 to be sex music. But, I'm not going to bother with a list of everything. You get the point.

Metal chicks are hard to find because they are either too young, or are married by a guy who is amazed he found a chick into metal.

Do you remember the 80's hair where the chicks would backcomb their bangs, and put them up in a fan? I still see ppl my age doing that. They scare me.

Lucretia said:
Do you remember the 80's hair where the chicks would backcomb their bangs, and put them up in a fan? I still see ppl my age doing that. They scare me.

They scare the shit out of me too, friend.

In my life, I have never met a woman who would take the time to look away from their reflection and reflect, although it could be because I have long hair a beard and an ugly contenence. :lol:

Yeah, I don't look for metal chicks anymore. I look for those I can convert. Those that may have an open mind. The "bling-bling" chicks usually only want black guys or white guys that act black. They are usually stupid anyway.

Here! Here! It's really nice to see that I'm not the only girl here who doesn't like black or death metal! I used to enjoy it for a spell, then moved on. The heart of my passion lies with prog & power metal, but I love a lot of the hair bands (can't help it! ^_^), and the old thrash bands.

There is a decent number of women on the ProgPowerUSA board here at UltimateMetal.com! I am surprised by how many there are, and they aren't just there for their boyfriends either! :)

I forget who made the comment earlier, but something I've noticed as well, and even made a thread about it months ago, is that a significant number of metal chicks are psycho in one way or another, whether phsyiologically or characteristically. I tend to stay far away from girls, so this is all stories from guys who have dated "metal chicks" and have placed the same stereotypes on me... I soon began to wonder if there is a minority of women who enjoy metal and are just down-to-earth, honest, good girls who simply enjoy metal?! Have any of you other girls come across this?

~Sh0k~

Fortunately, my girlfriend is very much into the metal scene, which is great for me because not only do we share a similar taste in music, but this way I don't have to put up the effort to drag her to shows. In fact, I often notice that it's HER who's constantly begging me to take her to shows...fuck, she's the best!

Okay, I apologize for bragging a little there, but I do see what many of you mean by the lack of "metal chicks" in the world, but I suppose it has a lot to do with the area in which you live...I seriously doubt Europeans have as much of a problem...

MetalMaiden1777 said:
:Smug: Blind Guardian- now I suppose it would be a matter of what you like about them that would determain what era you like best. I would say with confidence that they arent really anything like what they were on Battalions of or Folllow the Blind.. they progressively changed most aspects about them- I still love them but the newer stuff -starting with nightfall is almost a little much. While it is extremely talanted stuff.. is it really comparable to their older stuff? I dont think so.. the older stuff was more traditional power which is what I prefer over such highly orchestrated progression. Dont get me wrong I adore classical music and some orchestration is great but is it more metal or better than the old? Depends on what ya like.. : )
:eek:
I thought the cool thing about their later albums such as Nightfall and Imaginations was that since they were so epic, one could almost imagine themselves in a fantastic landscape fighting by King Arthur or assailing a group of orcs.....nevermind, I'm insane. :loco:

I thought the cool thing about their later albums such as Nightfall and Imaginations was that since they were so epic, one could almost imagine themselves in a fantastic landscape fighting by King Arthur or assailing a group of orcs.....nevermind, I'm insane.

Well, then I guess we're both insane because I feel the same way. Blind Guardian's music is very visual, to say the least, and it doesn't matter how many times I listen to Nightfall(their best album, in my opinion), it always seems to transport me to the forests and battlegrounds of Middle Earth...I know it would sound crazy, but music has that effect on me.

MetalMaiden1777 said:
Meanwhile bands like King diamond-well actually only king diamond... remains the same.. every album a continued masterpiece.. although abigail is still my favorite.. All hail the King!!!
Amy~

Yeah King Diamond's great, my fav band. I think Abigail 2 is the best album he's done in a while. I can't wait for Puppet Master which is out next month. Hopefully he'll tour the UK.

speed said:
I have stated this before- but few women - if any like metal. It seems only those women that grew up in the 80's like metal. If I even mention I like metal to women my age (18-24) they go nuts about how violent and immature it is. SO, I suppose it is good to see a few women that like metal- its just a shame more dont.

i love death/black and gothic metal and i grew up in the 90's and im a chick and nearly your age (17)

Yeah I've pretty much given up looking for metal chics too. I know a few but Im basically just friends with them and don't think anything would ever come of it. The only other place to find them is the internet, but that doesn't really count, especially when you live miles from civilization.

I witnessed 4 undergrad metal chics sitting next to me at the cafe in the building I take most of my classes in. One was wearing a korn shirt, the other two had the all black look- one with what must be an obscure black metal band shirt on- the last one was regulary dressed. These four girls were ugly- I mean objectively ugly- fat, ugly and both. Its been a while since Ive seen a metal chick above 16 years old- without a Manson shirt on- and this is what I was treated to; the four horsewomen of the ugly apocalypse.