Am I the only one who thinks TOOL is Overrated

Blade said:
Being a metal fan for many MANY years. I think TOOL still is one of the better 'popular' metal bands, and think the drumming is on par with some of the best I've ever heard. Although, I do agree that they are pretentious, Maynard hiding in the shadows during their recent tour and trying to be all 'artsy' was a downfall. But, all in all, they are probably the most talented popular 'metal' band of all time.

But then again, metal is a pretty vague word these days....

I loved the way Maynard left himself out as the "key" figure of attention, staying in the background, letting the audience be enveloped by the might of the music, without the pretentious rockstar frontman running around like a fucking ape. The last Tool tour was one of the better gigs I have witnessed. I've been a fan since Opiate surfaced, and believe the band have gone from strength to strength since. Tool. One of the greats.

union9 said:
I loved the way Maynard left himself out as the "key" figure of attention, staying in the background, letting the audience be enveloped by the might of the music, without the pretentious rockstar frontman running around like a fucking ape. The last Tool tour was one of the better gigs I have witnessed. I've been a fan since Opiate surfaced, and believe the band have gone from strength to strength since. Tool. One of the greats.

yes!

:D

i tihink tool are overatted, im not a fan, however i dont tihnk people should worry whatother people like, if you dont like it, dont listen to it, but if loads of people say its great and you say its crap, so wat, but to gove a simple answer i would say yes, they are overatted.

Tool is definitely not overrated. You should not judge them from the metal-view, it's no music for headbanging. You really have to get into their stuff, they are really no "by-the-first-listening-band". It's art.

so I think I've done my duty as a tool-fan

If I were to listen to any Tool album it wouldn't be that one..I think that one has the most fillers and boring parts..it also pretty much made them bona fide rock stars with all the nu metal kiddies. They aren't a bad band..but I'm tired of everyone stressing the fact that Danny Carey is so fucking great at the drums when people like Flo Mounier are out there owning his ass with every beat...that is all
He is fucking great at playing drums. Carey does shit Flo cant even come up with. Flo is good, but he cant even approach the time signatures that Carey plays in.

Now, for the reasons I dont think Tool is over rated:

Tool was one of the first progressive metal bands out there that wernt obsessed with lyrics involving fantasy, power metal, or 13 minute tracks with 4 minute solos.

Tool brought a much darker, more melodic side to metal and with AEnima and Lateralus they encorporated progressive elements that no other band has done in years. Of course, they havnt done anything relativly new, but what they do they do it well. Maynard is a very intelligent lyricist and Adam Jones is a great guitar player.

Maynard hiding in the shadows during their recent tour and trying to be all 'artsy' was a downfall.

Wrong. Maynard, and Ill try to paraphrase him, wanted to the focus taken off of him and put on the music as a whole, therefor, for the remainder of last years tour he either wasnt even on stage, or when he was he had his back turned to the crowd.

As one stated above Tool is Art.....

It may seem repetitive but its not, its amazingly komplex......would u ever have thought of the main riff in Schism......its magic!!......But my expeirience tells me that people find it hard to listen to Tool!...
Maybe because they not play metal the AC/DC-way!!...I do love AC/DC for there music!....