Am I the only who thinks Devin is overrated?

My question is this:

Why come to the Devin Townsend thread to ask if everyone thinks he is overrated? That's like a gay man going into Hooters to ask someone getting lap dance whether they like tits! Why bother, of course people here think Devin is good!

Not that it matters, but I too think his voice is brilliant.

I agree with Mister B. I'm a big fan but fuck, come on! I saw him twice live, and one of those times, his voice was downright pitiful. He's got his ups and downs, like most humans. Point is, ANYONE would be overrated with a fanbase like his.

Enlightened By Darkness said:
Why come to the Devin Townshend thread to ask if everyone thinks he is overrated?

In the hopes of finding fans who aren't total knob-polishing zealots, probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened By Darkness
Why come to the Devin Townshend thread to ask if everyone thinks he is overrated?

In the hopes of finding fans who aren't total knob-polishing zealots, probably.

I don't think that Devin "Is the greatest" or "The most Extreme" or any of that crap. I think he has a good voice and is well suited to his bands. I am not a HUGE SYL or DTB fan. Sure, I like them but I won't go crazy about how he is this great pillar of rock history blah blah blah.

I'm done, My KNOB needs a polish

I'd never say that his voice is the best in rock history or something similar like that.
but you'll certainly agree that the first post is just stupid:

-"he should calm down" ???
-"monotonous" ???
-"monk vocals" ???

I think that he isn't overrated. Especially considering metal today.
Terrymx mentioned "The Death of Music"... I mean when have you heard anything like that song? 12 minutes of vox & keys only and it fuckin' rules...
And I agree with what Greg B. said, that Devin does sometimes make mistakes, but, it's all part of the job.

maliciousteve said:
Listen to him sing on Steve Vai's record. He is not at all overated, if anything he's underated
And not to mention he was only 19 when he recorded on that CD and that his Noisescapes demo impressed Vai—you may have heard of him—so much that he invited a no-name kid from Canada to sing on his album!!

Devin's vocal ability is amazing! He can go from Morbid Angel to Steelheart in the same verse with ease! Devin is the fucking man!!

Mattias the Bitch Boy said:
I mean sure, he's cool and all (he's bald but has long hair anyway, you gotta respect a man like that) but is his singing really so great? Personally, I find his voice to be rather monotonous. His range could be improved a little. His clean vocals sound like monk vocals, I think he needs more passion when singing clean. His death vocals sound a little too... well extreme. He should calm down.

All in all, I'd say he's ok for starts, obviously he's not a BAD singer per say, but he needs to develop his voice a little more before hitting the big leagues. Am I the only one of this opinion?

haha. More passion? Less extreme? you've got to be kidding.