Am I the only who thinks Devin is overrated?

Mattias the Bitch Boy

New Metal Member
Dec 1, 2001
I mean sure, he's cool and all (he's bald but has long hair anyway, you gotta respect a man like that) but is his singing really so great? Personally, I find his voice to be rather monotonous. His range could be improved a little. His clean vocals sound like monk vocals, I think he needs more passion when singing clean. His death vocals sound a little too... well extreme. He should calm down.

All in all, I'd say he's ok for starts, obviously he's not a BAD singer per say, but he needs to develop his voice a little more before hitting the big leagues. Am I the only one of this opinion?

Mattias of the Night said:
I mean sure, he's cool and all (he's bald but has long hair anyway, you gotta respect a man like that) but is his singing really so great? Personally, I find his voice to be rather monotonous. His range could be improved a little. His clean vocals sound like monk vocals, I think he needs more passion when singing clean. His death vocals sound a little too... well extreme. He should calm down.

All in all, I'd say he's ok for starts, obviously he's not a BAD singer per say, but he needs to develop his voice a little more before hitting the big leagues. Am I the only one of this opinion?

yes, you are the only one that thinks like this. ok.. so his singing is too weak and his harsh vocals are too extreme. make up your mind. before hitting the big leagues? he has already hit them. so, your opinion is pretty much pointless

clean vocals too weak? Just listen to ocean machine my friend. his range is absolutely mind blowing. and for the record...syl is an extreme metal band...how can vocals in an extreme metal band be "too extreme?"

doesnt want to make it like i'm joining the other to team up on you, but i also have to disagree. do you have a reference to which songs or albums? what other artist would you recommend?

the main reason i listen to devin is because of his emotional voice, definitely not monotonous. "the death of music", which has some of the most beautiful and emotional exhausting singing i ever heard. and beside some songs has fast tempo so the singing is just meant to be fast and monotonous. if it was 12-bar blues, then maybe i would have been more critical on vocals.

...either that or because i have a hi-fi speaker system.

also there shouldn't be death vocal that is too extreme, extreme is what its all about...as gay that it might sound. well there is something more extreme, its called doom vocal.

Mattias of the Night said:

You are still alive mattias? and you are still gay i presume? :loco:

Well the thing with Devin Townsend is segments of the man's fanbase tend to make usage of the word "overrated" inevitible. They go on and on about how he is a golden god who will save music and has never written a crap song or hit a flat note. Truth is he's a solid songwriter with a voice that remains fresh and interesting who can (and does) make mistakes from time to time. So folks coming in with the former perception kinda get severely disappointed.

Overrated my big hairy ass. He is one of the few metal vocalists around who can succesfully pull of both harsh and clean vocals so succesfully, and as for his clean vocals sounding like monks chanting, who gives a shit? It sounds pretty fuckin' cool anyway.