Am I the only one who thinks MAYH is Opeth's weakest effort?

illbeleavinnow said:
Dammit I can't help it! As hard as I try, I can't get into MAYH. There are like, two or three memorable parts in the whole album that I like, but I can't get into it. It doesnt' make me feel depressed at all, it doesn't get to me...

Am i insane? :erk:

Yes :p

Seriously, to each his own, but I personally love MAYH...but then again, I love all of the albums...but Still Life is my least favorite....How do you not like Karma and.....well all of them? hehe.....wait....it doesn't make you feel depressed? You feel like you can't enjoy music if it doesn't make you depressed? hmmm...

Beth said:
Yes :p

Seriously, to each his own, but I personally love MAYH...but then again, I love all of the albums...but Still Life is my least favorite....How do you not like Karma and.....well all of them? hehe.....wait....it doesn't make you feel depressed? You feel like you can't enjoy music if it doesn't make you depressed? hmmm...

No no no no. Lol. :D Of course I enjoy music when it's not depressing, but everyone says taht MAYH is so depressing and they get sad listening to it but to me it doesnt' move me at all. That's what I was trying to say by "It doesnt' get me depressed". :)

Give it time, my friend, give it time....

It was harder for me to get into than ANY other Opeth album, but when I got into it, it became my favourite. You'll love it one day, I'm sure. The clean-vocals on MAYH are so powerful, and the growls fit superbly with the riffs. It really is fantastic.

illbeleavinnow said:
Am i insane? :erk:

yes, yes you are. it's their best album!

it took me about 15 or so listens to get into
but it's absolutely fucking A. amazing stuff.

eh. . how can you like opeth but not My Arms, Your Hearse.. Ouch.. If you ask me deliverance is the weakest yet.. THAT is the only album i couldnt instantly get right into. But i mean. .a weak opeth album still == better than basically anything out there.. so weakest doesnt mean much relatively :) ( to the rest of hte music industry! ) I have yet to hear ONE single opeth song i dont like. Hell i cant even think of a PART of a song i dont like.. hmm.. I yet again recommend the Violent head shaking therapy.

Jinks' Perscription:

Take one dose of MAYH PER hour as necessary. Turn stereo as loud as it goes, or until someone tries to yell at you to turn it down ( dont worry you wont REALLY hear them, as opeth will be much to loud! ). Ignore person yelling. Bang head in a forward, then backward motion until CD ends.

If this percription does NOT work. Find nearest bridge and jump off ;)

hmm... not insane no... but it has something slightly different from the other Opeth albums. The emotion in Orchid and Morningrise often comes from the acoustic and laid back bits, and from Still Life on, the emotion is there, but not as much a wall of sound as on MAYH... what i mean is that the heavier parts of MAYH are the most emotional parts of it... it's just this somehow sorta scary, yet sad and a bit angry all at once sound comming at you. At least that's the way i see it. here's i'll point out a few specific moments of this sort of thing... also the transitions into and out of them from the softer bits makes them SO MUCH more powerful too.

April Ethereal - (4:43-6:02)

When - "graven face, she said my NAAAMMMEEE" (5:02-5:40) "...and i crieeedddd" (7:43-9:14) (that part gets me... pay attention to the lyrics there too)

The Amen Corner - (3:14-5:33)

Demon Of The Fall - (4:28-6:13)

Karma - (2:54-5:24)

now..... get back to me when you can hum these parts and appreciate the layering of the heavy parts... i can guarantee once you can do that you might have a different opinion on the album.

Reactions: illbeleavinnow
Bumblefoot said:
hmm... not insane no... but it has something slightly different from the other Opeth albums. The emotion in Orchid and Morningrise often comes from the acoustic and laid back bits, and from Still Life on, the emotion is there, but not as much a wall of sound as on MAYH... what i mean is that the heavier parts of MAYH are the most emotional parts of it... it's just this somehow sorta scary, yet sad and a bit angry all at once sound comming at you. At least that's the way i see it. here's i'll point out a few specific moments of this sort of thing... also the transitions into and out of them from the softer bits makes them SO MUCH more powerful too.

April Ethereal - (4:43-6:02)

When - "graven face, she said my NAAAMMMEEE" (5:02-5:40) "...and i crieeedddd" (7:43-9:14) (that part gets me... pay attention to the lyrics there too)

The Amen Corner - (3:14-5:33)

Demon Of The Fall - (4:28-6:13)

Karma - (2:54-5:24)

now..... get back to me when you can hum these parts and appreciate the layering of the heavy parts... i can guarantee once you can do that you might have a different opinion on the album.
I pretty much agree with all of that.

'The celestial touch.....From grey to black....'
Intro and Outros of The Amen Corner
'I will endure.....Hide away....'
First riff of April Ethereal with that occasional triple drum.
'This day, wept on my shoulders.....'
'And I cried....'
A couple of other parts of When
Most of Demon of the Fall/Credence

All those bits send shivers down my spine.

Prologue and Epilogue are nice too.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Yes. Deliverance is their worst album, to my ears.

Yet it's still high above what other bands produce. I think with Opeth your standards are raised so much you sometimes don't appreciate amazing stuff as much :)

illbeleavinnow said:
No no no no. Lol. :D Of course I enjoy music when it's not depressing, but everyone says taht MAYH is so depressing and they get sad listening to it but to me it doesnt' move me at all. That's what I was trying to say by "It doesnt' get me depressed". :)

Ohhh, sorry I misunderstood....well MAYH doesn't sadden me in the least, but I guess those who say that are referring to the lyrical concept/theme of the album.........
With all this talk I'm now driven to play MAYH while I shower.....I was undecided...thanks :)

MAYH is my second most favorite after Morningrise. This first CD of the "new format" (written by mikael, less twin leads, etc etc.) carries most emotion and is evil, brutal, sad, all at once. Although production is "dirty" and lacking, the composition, and the feel this cd carries outdo all other cd's in my opinion.*

* once again, except for morningrise :)

sf.