Am I the only one who thinks MAYH is Opeth's weakest effort?

Deliverance is a brilliant album but it's probably my least favourable out of all of Opeth's other albums.
It depends what mood i'm in when I decide to listen to any of the albums, so it's impossible for me to pick a definite favourite. However i agree that MAYH has the best lyrics and conveyed emotions.

MAYH is actually a great cd in disguise. Seriously, it took me a very long time before I actually liked it. Usually an Opeth cd taked a while for me to really like, but this one took forever. Keep listening to it and you will eventually see the beauty hidden within.

The drumming.....The clean-vocals.....The riffs......The concept.....EVERYTHING ABOUT IT, AHHH.....Such a good album. I pity anyone who doesn't adore it, I really do. Incredible, incredible album.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Give it time, my friend, give it time....

It was harder for me to get into than ANY other Opeth album, but when I got into it, it became my favourite. You'll love it one day, I'm sure. The clean-vocals on MAYH are so powerful, and the growls fit superbly with the riffs. It really is fantastic.

I couldn't of said it better myself, just give it time. I had it for over a year before I got into it, now it's my 3rd favorite Opeth album.

MAYH is an absolute triumph, and I'd be glad to use it to convert gospel-singing conservatives into raging Opethians..

I think anyone should be able to appreciate the expression of emotion and lucidity of feeling that the album constantly displays..

mm.. gonna listen now. :D

illbeleavinnow said:
I think I just never really listened to it fully, you know? I got into every other album so simply, just by listening to it in the background. Frankly if an album doesn't grip you just by doing that I don't think it's relaly that good of an album but I could be wrong.

Well, In my opinion, I don't really agree to that. sometmes you have to listen to an album with no other noise or major distractions many many times to fully appreciate it. MAYH could be pretty hard to get into depending on your tastes though. Only advice I have is not give it more time and not just listen to it as "background" music. Try reading along with parts of the lyrics maybe once or twice.

I'm pretty much the opposite of everyone here. I loved it almost instantly, and it was my favorite for the longest time, but I think I may have burned myself out on it.

Still Life is currently receiving the most rock out time from me, and I love it. It, Blackwater Park, and My Arms, Your Hearse are pretty much equals to my ears.

MAYH took me longer then say Still Life. I used it as background music frequently, listened to it a lot like that. One day it just grabbed me, and I listened to it constantly. It's now probably my fav Opeth, tied closely with Still Life. :)