Am I the only one who would love to hear this???

Oct 23, 2006
Québec City, Québec, Canada
I had a discussion with one of my friend who's also a huge Opeth fan and both of us agreed about the fact that Opeth should do a huge concept album. What I mean by concept album is full lenght story spread on two cd's. No dark/light side thing. Everything mix, long songs, short interlude, experimental break, etc. Lots of band made legendary records of that kind. Just think of Pink Floyd - The Wall, The Who - Quadrophenia, Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, etc. I think Opeth reach a level of musicianship that could do that kind of stuff.

I love My Arms, Your Hearse more than any other Opeth record. Still Life is my second favorite. Not only do I think, musically they are more fun than their other records, but lyrically they are both great works. I'd love to have a two disc Opeth concept album, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Honestly, I could see Porcupine Tree or Dream Theater doing a two disc concept album before I could see Opeth doing one. Hell, 6DoIT was somewhat on par with a two disc concept, but I'd say it was more themed than anything else.

Anywho, I'd love to hear Opeth do one. But, who knows what they have instore for us with their tenth release....?

They should not tour this time and get straight back to work on this double album. Then release it in 2010, the year of Opeth's 10th opus.

Win post.

It may happen. Watershed was probably delayed because of the line up situation not to mention they filmed TRT and all that.

No I wasn't, actually. They've toured after every album and I don't need to see them again. I don't feel a need to hear Watershed songs live, and for the old stuff we've got the DVD and memories. And imagine 2 years work on an album, rather than the usual 2 months!

I haven't seen them either, considering the middle states got fucked over by Progressive Nation.:cry: I mean really. No Texas, Missouri, OK dates. What the hell? I'm a student with a full time job and can't afford to travel for 9 hours to see a band (though I would've if i could afford it). I must see them, but I do agree that they should get a jump on a new album and not make us wait as long as we did for WS. Roadrunner will be on their ass to do a big headline tour though, and I'm sure they want to showcase WS a bit more.

Having said all this, I absolutely :worship: to Watershed but would like to see more of a balanced ratio of heavy to light material. If half of the album sounded as heavy as heir apparent and half of the album was as soft as burden or coil, I wouldn't have a problem at all. Like you said, I think that is a brilliant idea. They could totally pull off a full-length, two-disc concept album. It would be killer :headbang:

Honestly, I could see Porcupine Tree or Dream Theater doing a two disc concept album before I could see Opeth doing one. Hell, 6DoIT was somewhat on par with a two disc concept, but I'd say it was more themed than anything else.

Too bad 6 Degrees sucked so much balls. It was the start of the downfall of Dream Theater... and being released after the awesome, epic Scenes From A Memory, makes their downward spiral even more tragic. Each album starting with 6 Degrees just got shittier and shittier.

The Glass Prison is a great song. Is it just me or are Dream Theater, for all their technical prowess, a heavily formulaic band? All of their songs seems to follow the same pattern, and although its great to hear some skillfull guitar fiddlery sometimes their albums are just... too much to take in. Add to that the fact that James LaBrie has got to be one of the worst popular metal vocalists in HISTORY and that they feel the need to throw in cheap Evanescense or Muse rip off songs just to stay "progressive" and diverse enough for the label-happy reviewers. As a result of how I feel, I think Dream Theater are (for me) impossible to get into, as for every kickass metal song or two there's a shitty ballad, and far too many attempts as writing in different styles that, no matter how rich you are and how much your fans will forgive you for, simply do not fit. Anyone else agree with this?

The Glass Prison is a great song. Is it just me or are Dream Theater, for all their technical prowess, a heavily formulaic band? All of their songs seems to follow the same pattern, and although its great to hear some skillfull guitar fiddlery sometimes their albums are just... too much to take in. Add to that the fact that James LaBrie has got to be one of the worst popular metal vocalists in HISTORY and that they feel the need to throw in cheap Evanescense or Muse rip off songs just to stay "progressive" and diverse enough for the label-happy reviewers. As a result of how I feel, I think Dream Theater are (for me) impossible to get into, as for every kickass metal song or two there's a shitty ballad, and far too many attempts as writing in different styles that, no matter how rich you are and how much your fans will forgive you for, simply do not fit. Anyone else agree with this?

Dream Theater have released a coupla killer albums (awake, scenes) but are currently like postmodernism, they're like bad family guy. they pick up on other external reference points but don't really contribute anything new themselves.

...wouldn't work for me I don't think..Opeth's lyrics imo are not the strongest, personal taste I know. I'd just like to see them get weirder and more extreme with all the elements they use. I think a concept album is a bit obvious for a band with prog leanings. I'd be more shocked and impressed if Opeth released an album of 2 minute punk style songs!

I had a discussion with one of my friend who's also a huge Opeth fan and both of us agreed about the fact that Opeth should do a huge concept album. What I mean by concept album is full lenght story spread on two cd's. No dark/light side thing. Everything mix, long songs, short interlude, experimental break, etc. Lots of band made legendary records of that kind. Just think of Pink Floyd - The Wall, The Who - Quadrophenia, Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, etc. I think Opeth reach a level of musicianship that could do that kind of stuff.

Sure