American regions of death metal

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
Well I'm aware that various bands styles can be described according to the area of America they come from.

I basically wouldn't know how to distinguish between the different sounds, and indeed what these different groups are.

1) So, how would I recognise..I don't know, California death metal for example?

2) What are the other commonly known styles according to location, and how would you define them?

Cheers

NY style is my favorite - Suffocation, Immolation, Cannibal Corpse, Pyrexia. It tends to be influenced by hardcore and they have hardcore style breakdowns in their songs.

Florida style - Morbid Angel, Obituary, Malevolent Creation. Not sure how to define it but if you know these bands it should be pretty clear what it sounds like.

I don't really know the differencese with California DM

Hope this helps

I know Cannibal Corpse started out in Buffalo, but I always thought they were considered Florida style.

As far as I know Texas DM is the real br00tal stuff with the guttural, even by death metal standards vocals, and few solos...just crushing and constant noise. That's how I understand it anyway, but I could be mistaken.

I don't know how to describe California DM as much but it includes stuff like Gorgasm, Deeds of Flesh, Impaled if that helps any.

NYDM (my favorite) - Often quite technical, well structured, some hardcore influence, a good amount of blasting
Florida dm (almost as good as NYDM) - More straightforward arrangements, usually less blasting, no hardcore influence, often thrashy, occasional "evil" sounding riffs, scales, and guitar harmonies
California dm (I don't like it at all) - Random, amorphous song structures, often lots of blasting, complete lack of melody or unity within songs, the least melodic of the three

Unfortunately I am very much a virgin in the death metal scene basically - so these bands you give as examples don't help much for me.

It has been useful so far, though.

I gather there is NY death metal, Texa death metal, California death metal, florida death metal. I couldn't even point to these fucking places on a map, but hopefully it will help to know these different styles! :p

I'm still not 100% sure what hardcore is, even though I made a thread about it before!

Basically, I'd appreciate more of the characteristic sounds of each area.

Thanx

Harcore is a subgenre of punkrock. Where punkrock can be melodic and such, hardcore focuses more on great riffage, and is also usually a lot heavier and faster than punk. Screamy/growly vocals are common. One of my alltime favourite genres. Check out the following bands:

Gorilla Biscuits
Raised Fist
Refused
Buried Alive
(Early) 59 Times The Pain
Straightfaced
Skare Tactic
Down To Nothing
Integrity

I suggest that you get some samples from each of the bands we have listed and listen to them to see the differences. It's hard to explain these things in words, you'll have to listen to it to tell for yourself.

No, that's alright. Everything that needed to be said about it has already been said, pretty much.

Disavowed, Pyaemia, Suffocation, and Vomit Remnants are great examples of NY-styled DM, even though three of those aren't US.

NYDM isn't known for being blast-centric, rather, california DM is. Songs tend to be just one long blast beat. Go listen to the Decrepit Birth album and then 'Pierced From Within'. PFW does blast but nowhere near as much as DB.

Ageless said:
NYDM isn't known for being blast-centric, rather, california DM is. Songs tend to be just one long blast beat. Go listen to the Decrepit Birth album are then 'Pierced From Within'. PFW does blast but nowhere near as much as DB.
Exactly. NYDM has some blasting, but lots of mid paced crushing grooves that are somewhat melodic in a way and even, dare I say, catchy. California dm, on the other hand, is pretty much constant blasting, with no melody or structure whatsoever.

NYCDM(the style and known sound and almost all NYCDM acts most broken up): Suffocation,Pyrexia,Baphomet,Internal Bleeding,Morpheus Descends,Malignancy,Dehumanized,Disfigured,Entorturement,Wasteform,Skinless,Disciples of Berkowitz etc.... very groovy style DM with some hardcore elements if not having a very uplifting feel to them and something that just about anyone can get into regardless back ground. or just being more technical,complex or insane. Makes you want to mosh your ass off. Usually(not all) strays from regular song structure and lacks repetition but remains catchy. Lyically themes, regular life issues, personal problems etc.. you name it anything that goes on with humans. Very reality based and less fantasy if any at all involved(one of the few metal/death metal musical styles that is not fantasy involved or uses little. Immolation is from NYC but strays from the groove style and lyrical themes of the other bands or those things in general and goes for a more dark and dissonant/akword guitar sound.

Florida DM: Brutality,Cannibal Corpse(originally from Buffalo NY but relocated to be apart of the uprising scene in Florida(thought it would be a better move) and to record there disks),Monstrosity,Malevolent Creation,Obituary,Morbid Angel,Resurrected, etc..... Very thrash infleunced DM taking it just a next step from Thrash(some adding alittle more technical edge and lower vocals). Very Slayer and thrash in General infleunced... Some being depression or gore based(not all)

Cali DM: Disgorge(starters of the Cali scene in 91,92),Deprecated,Decrepit Birth,Deeds of Flesh,etc..... Based more on full on brutalily and blasting. Most lacking melody or actual full on riffs or song identity. I noticed with a lot of these artists. It is mostly single notes with random harmonics and mutes thrown in. Lacking any structure or catcheyness while remaining very predictable(you know what is next since they do the same things everysong. Gorebased bands(while some touching on some other subjects)

Pseudo NYCDM: Vomit Remnants,Disavowed,Pyaemia, etc..... Bands that emphasis on replicating NY style groove DM(especially Suffocation in General). Damn.. who does not want to try to sound like Suffocation and fail ?

By meaning Fail not that these artists suck they just can't pull it off. Disavowed trys to hard and fails.

I tried to sum this up all fast but I think I got generally what it is about whether you agree or not.

Living Inside said:
NYCDM(the style and known sound and almost all NYCDM acts most broken up): Suffocation,Pyrexia,Baphomet,Internal Bleeding,Morpheus Descends,Malignancy,Dehumanized,Disfigured,Entorturement,Wasteform,Skinless,Disciples of Berkowitz etc.... very groovy style DM with some hardcore elements if not having a very uplifting feel to them and something that just about anyone can get into regardless back ground. or just being more technical,complex or insane. Makes you want to mosh your ass off. Usually(not all) strays from regular song structure and lacks repetition but remains catchy. Lyically themes, regular life issues, personal problems etc.. you name it anything that goes on with humans. Very reality based and less fantasy if any at all involved(one of the few metal/death metal musical styles that is not fantasy involved or uses little. Immolation is from NYC but strays from the groove style and lyrical themes of the other bands or those things in general and goes for a more dark and dissonant/akword guitar sound.

Florida DM: Brutality,Cannibal Corpse(originally from Buffalo NY but relocated to be apart of the uprising scene in Florida(thought it would be a better move) and to record there disks),Monstrosity,Malevolent Creation,Obituary,Morbid Angel,Resurrected, etc..... Very thrash infleunced DM taking it just a next step from Thrash(some adding alittle more technical edge and lower vocals). Very Slayer and thrash in General infleunced... Some being depression or gore based(not all)

Cali DM: Disgorge(starters of the Cali scene in 91,92),Deprecated,Decrepit Birth,Deeds of Flesh,etc..... Based more on full on brutalily and blasting. Most lacking melody or actual full on riffs or song identity. I noticed with a lot of these artists. It is mostly single notes with random harmonics and mutes thrown in. Lacking any structure or catcheyness while remaining very predictable(you know what is next since they do the same things everysong. Gorebased bands(while some touching on some other subjects)

Pseudo NYCDM: Vomit Remnants,Disavowed,Pyaemia, etc..... Bands that emphasis on replicating NY style groove DM(especially Suffocation in General). Damn.. who does not want to try to sound like Suffocation and fail ?

By meaning Fail not that these artists suck they just can't pull it off. Disavowed trys to hard and fails.

I tried to sum this up all fast but I think I got generally what it is about whether you agree or not.
I think this is a pretty good description. Although I think Disavowed pull it off well, but thats a different discussion.