An Opeth Whirlpool

S4R

gooey
Sep 7, 2001
.il.us
A few weeks ago, I was caught in a kind of trap, for five days straight I only listened to Opeth, nothing else, it seemed that Opeth was the only way to fill my musical need. I must have listened to each album three times. Do you think there is something wrong with that? I was wondering if anyone has had this experience.

Happens to me all the time. I'd say my cd player has an Opeth disc in it probably 75 percent of the time. Almost everything else, even stuff I cherished years before discovering Opeth, just isn't as good anymore.

I did play OPETH for three weeks straight in my car (7-8 hrs a day). The other CD that made it in the 6 deck was Toxicity from System of a Down.

Everything sounds so trite after Opeth

Man I love that when you put in a few Opeth discs in the CD player and then you realize a few days later that you haven't listened to anything else. Plus you really don't care!

yeah its always good to mix it up,say something by swano in there . For me usually nightingale,infestdead edge or moontower every once in awhile.:heh:

five measly days -- peshah! :D i went several MONTHS, at least 4, without listening to anything besides opeth. in fact, i got really depressed because i thought all the joyous days of discovering new music were over since nothing would ever top opeth. and nothing has topped opeth for me, but i've been able to lower my standards for the sake of variety. but really, opeth has so much variety within the 5 albums that i could live with no other music. to tell you the truth, after listening to ONLY opeth for that long, my brain was starting to get tired. :loco: i started craving, like, pop music just to escape the intensity of it all. kinda funny. but now i'm back, baby.

Maybe I'm just odd, but I don't listen to Opeth much at all..maybe only once or twice a week. That's how I am with any band I really really enjoy. I guess I'm in the mindframe that if I listen to something too much, I'm going to get sick of it, or it'll somehow cheapen the experience by not being -exactly- in the right mood for the particular album.

Originally posted by Lina
five measly days -- peshah! :D i went several MONTHS, at least 4, without listening to anything besides opeth. in fact, i got really depressed because i thought all the joyous days of discovering new music were over since nothing would ever top opeth. and nothing has topped opeth for me, but i've been able to lower my standards for the sake of variety. but really, opeth has so much variety within the 5 albums that i could live with no other music. to tell you the truth, after listening to ONLY opeth for that long, my brain was starting to get tired. :loco: i started craving, like, pop music just to escape the intensity of it all. kinda funny. but now i'm back, baby.

And I thought I was a die hard fan of Opeth. :D

yeah, from Nov 4th (last pumpkins gig) to about mid march i only listened to the Pumpkins, i don't really want to go back to those days, really depressing, no other music done it for me, then i found Katatonia and Opeth folowed. i didn't really get board of listening to the pumpkins but i almost burnt the cds as i thought this was going on for too long, anyway ive been listening to Opeth for about a month now a lot, other bands too but mainly Opeth :D , but thats because i seeing them soon.

A while ago I had a problem of comparing everything to Opeth.
Couldn't buy new albums because they were all shitty and
nothing compared to Opeth! Luckily(or un...) I got over it. I
propably was asking too much from other bands...dunno.:rolleyes:

Holy shit! What did I tell you, Lina! I swear, I was and still am the same way. I've been listening to Opeth for like a year! Sure, there was a few here and there, but the first like 4-6 months was OPETH.....SOLID! Nothing else. That's all I wanted. I didn't care about any other music. Then, just like you said, I was getting a little bothered by the fact that nothing else seemed good anymore, but that didn't matter because I could live the rest of my life with only Opeth and be satisfied. I haven't gotten to the point where I crave poppy music yet. Does singing random Madonna out of the blue count? :lol:

Wow. I'm not the only one. Cool! :lol:

Prior to the release of BP in March 2001 I have listened to all 4 Opeth albums since November 1999.

Originally posted by nevershine
A while ago I had a problem of comparing everything to Opeth.
Couldn't buy new albums because they were all shitty and
nothing compared to Opeth! Luckily(or un...) I got over it. I
propably was asking too much from other bands...dunno.:rolleyes:

I've that that problem before. You place Opeth on a peak and other music simply doesn't interest you anymore. However, I have managed to balance my diet of Opeth and other music.