Andy's 80's/AOR thread :p

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
In the spirit of this from the Rock recommendations thread:
Whitesnake? haha

I'll have to have a think about this one. I saw the 'rock' title and got excited because I was ready to rattle off a ton of AOR/80s bands hahaha. Nevermind!

I'll get back to you :p

We now have the right place for a great amount of awsomeness

Go for your life Andy

(Hopefully one of these days I will start making more sense too)

I bought a Foreigner album. I hated it. It was a best of though and i try not to judge bands on them. Tell me Andy, you master of the 80's, is a Foreigner best of indicative of their overall sound or are me and AOR just not meant to be?

I generally love all that is 80's and 70's. Even the most commercial stuff but there was just something i didn't like about them.

If you want to check out some AOR you need to track down the first Boston album, Hi-Infedelity by REO Speedwagon, VI by Toto, Paradise Theater by Styx, Leftoverture by Kansas, Foreigner's Double Vision and Agents of Fortune by Blue Oyster Cult.

Oh man.... I'm going to own this thread so hard. Thanks Daniel!

When I get some spare time this arvo (hopefully), I'll throw in some suggestions (including helping you out Shane haha).

No problemo. It's one thing to have to sort through todays shit, so at least I can have a steer in the right direction with the old shit :p
Seriously, I still haven't found "the 80's band", so it looks like I need all the help I can get haha.

Eeeew. That album is horrid. Even the band hates it.

*sigh* That album is pretty much the same as something like "Risk" was for Megadeth in that it's so popular amongst fans to hang shit on it that they never really give it a chance.

The ONLY thing about the album that I feel is a shortcoming is the cheesiness of the lyrics (eg- "To join our hands as one, to join our hands and sing, and slowly sing") but the same can be said about their 'classics' as well (eg- "Come on baby, don't fear the reaper, baby take my hand, we'll be able to fly, baby I'm your man").

Again as with the Megadeth (or Metallica / "Load", Van Halen / "Van Halen III", Iron Maiden / "Virtual XI", Judas Priest / "Demolition" etc) example, someone who's NOT already fan of other work would be more likely to approach the album with an open mind and actually enjoy it because there's really nothing anywhere near as bad about them as they're talked down to be. Other than the cheesiness at times, the songs are top notch and every bit as worthly of the Blue Öyster Cult name as any of their other albums.

I have no qualms with BOC's cheesy lyrics. "Harvester of Eyes" is one of my favourite songs of theirs. But I agree with your comparison of Ninja with Risk. And you're correct, but when you do develop a liking for the rest of their work, you realise that Ninja is crap in comparison. FTR, if I were to list their albums in order of preference, it would be something like this:

Secret Treaties
Cultosaurus Erectus
Agents of Fortune
Imaginos
Fire of Unknown Origin
Tyranny and Mutation
Blue Oyster Cult
Spectres
Heaven Forbid
Curse of the Hidden Mirror
Mirrors
Club Ninja

ok! well... I may as well get a start on it!

My top 10 AOR/80s Rock albums (no order)

Harem Scarem - S/T
Icehouse - Man of Colours (this is up for debate on whether its AOR but I reckon it is and one of the greatest Australian albums of all time)
Whitesnake - 1987/Self Titled
Harem Scarem - Mood Swings
Foreigner - 4
Journey - Escape
Europe - The Final Countdown (knock it all you want, but its a KILLER release!)
Bad English - S/T
Danger Danger - S/T
FM - Tough It Out

I'll make a 'best AOR/80s rock songs' post later on :) Because there's a lot of AMAZING songs on some somewhat average/full of filler albums.

ok! well... I may as well get a start on it!

My top 10 AOR/80s Rock albums (no order)

Harem Scarem - S/T
Icehouse - Man of Colours (this is up for debate on whether its AOR but I reckon it is and one of the greatest Australian albums of all time)
Whitesnake - 1987/Self Titled
Harem Scarem - Mood Swings
Foreigner - 4
Journey - Escape
Europe - The Final Countdown (knock it all you want, but its a KILLER release!)
Bad English - S/T
Danger Danger - S/T
FM - Tough It Out

I'll make a 'best AOR/80s rock songs' post later on :) Because there's a lot of AMAZING songs on some somewhat average/full of filler albums.

It warms my heart to see all this talk about AOR (adult oriented rock) on here!

Harem Scarem - s/t is my fav AOR/hard rock album but for the record that and Mood Swings were both released in the early 90's.