Annoyed at Damnation

Thanatopsis123

白鬼
Oct 13, 2002
日本
Visit site
I feel I need to get a few things off my chest.

Damnation is not what I expected. It's not as good as I expected. I'm pissed off that Mike lied (he once said in an interview that he'd never do anything like this under Opeth's name - like it would be defacing the band). I feel somehow...betrayed. I'm fairly sure that I'll always be thinking of that interview in the back of my head everytime I listen to this album.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the new stuff but it pisses me off that it's staining Opeth's discography. I hope they don't end it on this note.

I hope my feelings change with repeated listens but I can't see that happening.

Oh, and btw, anybody else like Sorskogen better? I don't suppose anybody else feels the same as I do about Damnation?

:( :( :(

Thanatopsis123 said:

Damnation is not what I expected. It's not as good as I expected. I'm pissed off that Mike lied (he once said in an interview that he'd never do anything like this under Opeth's name - like it would be defacing the band). I feel somehow...betrayed. I'm fairly sure that I'll always be thinking of that interview in the back of my head everytime I listen to this album.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the new stuff but it pisses me off that it's staining Opeth's discography. I hope they don't end it on this note.

I hope my feelings change with repeated listens but I can't see that happening.

Oh, and btw, anybody else like Sorskogen better? I don't suppose anybody else feels the same as I do about Damnation?

:( :( :(

It hasnt been officially released. So you are blowing smoke up my ass.
As for this ungodly wrong they have commited, enlighten me. I think i know what the problem is, but ill give you a chance. Speak my child, speak.

I'll admit Damnation isn't what I expected... and it took me a few listens to really love it. I just can't dislike anything that Opeth do. Like somebody said, listen to it a few more times. It's better when you're concentrating on something else, and have the music on in the background. I find CDs grow on me faster that way, weird, huh?
And seriously dude, you need to let go of this interview!

Actually, even though it really pains me, I have to agree... Damnation somehow doesn't seem to be all I expected, and yes I too like Sörskogen alot more.. I thought Damnation would be alot more in that light as opposed to what it is.

I'm not gonna give up trying to listen and get it through my head, but at this point in time it's a real disappointment to me. The music to me always feels like it goes nowhere and the lyrics really do nothing for me either... and this is coming from a guy that loves the Face of Melinda words! There are alot of points in the music where it sounds like standard Opeth acoustic, but it can't go anywhere since it doesn't go heavy... it tries to take you 'there' in a different way but for me it really fails.

I'm not trying to impose what I think on any of you, so please spare the fanboyness and flames, I'm just really disappointed that I feel this way (ie being disappointed with the album itself).

Love it - period!!

And I generally like the hard and heavy stuff.

Windowpane and Closure - totally awesome tracks.

But - to each his own taste :)

I think Mike has ran out of ideas. Deliverance hinted at that and Damnation confirmed it. Neither are bad albums, they just aren't fabulous like the first five.

Thanatopsis123 said:

I'm pissed off that Mike lied (he once said in an interview that he'd never do anything like this under Opeth's name - like it would be defacing the band).

The band has not been defaced, that's an opinion.

Mike also said in an interview that he doesn't give a fuck what any of us think.

:headbang:

dude, i haven't even heard damnation yet, and ur already saying that is not up to ur expectation? damn!!!! you better say it like you mean it or else........ hehe, just kidding........

Damnation is great I love it, BUT unlike most people I wasn't expecting a amazingly mindblowing album. All the vocal harmonies, and most of the riffs are all signature Opeth. The album basiclly sounds like what you expect it to sound like, take the clean parts from Still Life, and BWP and make them into songs = Damnation. Its nothing new for Opeth, IMO it doesnt sound adventurous, its not something fresh and new at all, its just another awesome Opeth album. :)

Hey Thorns, this isn't exactly the same as the acoustic parts on the other albums! These songs have more depth to stand on their own, thanks in no small part to the mellotrons...

i was hoping for a bit more. he said he saved the stronger melodies for this album, and while i hear them here and there, what i mostly hear is standard opeth accoustic tunes with all their signature pickings and rythms.

i was expecting something a bit more proggy, this is like folk-accoustic stuff.. not bad but not exactly what i hoped for. on the upside i think it has a nice haunting feel, which will be nice for when im in that mood