Annoyed at Damnation

Static said:
Hey Thorns, this isn't exactly the same as the acoustic parts on the other albums! These songs have more depth to stand on their own, thanks in no small part to the mellotrons...
I guess, but it just sounds like they expnaded on ideas that theyve had on other albums.

Also, there is a song on Damnation, that uses the same theme and progression for an acoustic part on Deliverance. I think it may be Masters Apprentice, but Im not sure.

i dont think the mellotrons make that big a difference in the music. Sure, they add [some] mood, but that style of "lets add some keyboards, 70s production, and vocal harmonies === PROG ALBUM!" that bands like porcupine tree, flower kings, and must neo-prog bands follow is, imo, purely aesthetic and not worth my time...

BUT i am trying to give opeth a chance here hehe

I don't know what to think of Damnation.I haven't downloaded it and I don't think I will,but altough this gives me hope that Damnation is gonna be better than BWP and Deliverance,I also see people saying it's as good as Deliverance,and that album disappointed me a lot.
Let's see what happens

Iblys said:
"purely aesthetic and not worth my time"
what a stupid comment

its a matter of labeling: if anything with mellotron and accoustic guitar is prog, then most pop artists could make some surface [[ie. aesthetic]] changes and be called progressive

this is a pet peeve, but its not "stupid." if opeth had made an album like camel's moonmadness i wouldnt be complaining!

I've only heard one song, it's pretty good. I don't really plan on getting any more until the album is released.

someone on this thread says it sounds like the clean and acoustic stuff from SL/BWP.. sounds awesome to me \m/

blueskytheory said:
its a matter of labeling: if anything with mellotron and accoustic guitar is prog, then most pop artists could make some surface [[ie. aesthetic]] changes and be called progressive

this is a pet peeve, but its not "stupid." if opeth had made an album like camel's moonmadness i wouldnt be complaining!

Ahhhh very good. Now if only you could somehow make this point relevant in anyway.

The definition of 'prog' is so vague that its a fucking difficult judgement to make. To me, Damnation is 'proggy', but not 'prog' per say. At any rate the argument of what prog should be is both irrelevant and stupid.

Well, if what you people say about Damnation being like the clean parts of Still Life and BWP is true, and if the "gloomy and dark" comment is correct, then on April 14th I'll get my soon-to-be favourite album.

Alright, I've got the volume cranked up halfway to max on my stereo, and I got my good $150 headphones on... I'm gonna appreciate this bastard at its best... cmon Damnation... TAKE ME.

Btw, so far Windowpane is winning me over slowly... I love that really groovy part that could fit into the song BWP... and also that main riff that's reminescent of the 'By the Pain I see in others' fair music... except bluesified.

Yeah that's what really struck me about Sorskogen... when Mikael just ripped that solo outta nowhere... that completely kicked my ass! But its still good, im still discovering Damnation.. I guess they were experimenting with different ways to 'get you off' and I guess using solos is a bit too standard.