any bands that are the same as slayer

No bands clone Slayer exactly that I know of, but countless bands were influenced by them, and it really shows sometimes. Here are some.

Entombed (Morning Star)
Absu
Dew Scented
Alastor
Destroyer 666 (Cold Steel for an Iron Age)
Malevolent Creation
Vader (The Ultimate Incantation)
In Battle (Welcome to the Battlefield)
The Haunted (they need to be mentioned even though they suck)

metal paddy said:
well hello listening to south of heaven at this time and wondering dose any know of any bands that are like them:headbang: :headbang:

A hell of alot of bands have incorporated or been inspired by Slayer. I'd even go so far as to claim Slayer has inspired more metal bands than any other metal band--but thats personal opinion of course. Most Thrash, Death, and black metal bands have taken either direct or indirect inspiration.

Hypocrisy's Into the Abyss is a Slayer inspired album. I'd agree with the person that mentioned Vader. Of all the bands, Vader seems to be the closest.

Slayer hasn't influenced half the bands that Iron Maiden has, or Black Sabbath for that matter.

But on-topic, pretty much any Scandinavian/European/South American death/thrash/speed metal band is a derivative of Slayer (they themselves a derivative of late '70s punk+Celtic Frost+Hellhammer+Venom).

Life Sucks said:
No bands clone Slayer exactly that I know of, but countless bands were influenced by them, and it really shows sometimes. Here are some.

Entombed (Morning Star)
Absu
Dew Scented
Alastor
Destroyer 666 (Cold Steel for an Iron Age)
Malevolent Creation
Vader (The Ultimate Incantation)
In Battle (Welcome to the Battlefield)
The Haunted (they need to be mentioned even though they suck)
No offence meant at all, but I don't see what good that list does. I think Paddy was looking for bands that sound similar to Slayer, not just any bands who were influenced by the band.

I don't think it's particularly relevant to list bands like Malevolent Creation because although they might be well worth checking out in themselves I doubt they will satisfy the request for stuff like South of Heaven.

Pyrus said:
Every single thrash metal band gets compared to Slayer by people who don't know what they're talking about; Dark Angel, Morbid Saint, and Cyst actually do sound Slayeresque. Vader reflects their more DM side, as mentioned.
I don't know Cyst, hook me up

Yeah I suppose you could point out similarities, but they're hardly a name you would recommend if someone asked for something that sounded the same as South of Heaven.

That's the right Cyst. Concussion Symphony has a little bit of Shadows Fall-ness in there, but not enough to cancel out the awesomeness of the riffage. The initial thing that draws Slayer comparisons is their awesome "Angel of Death" cover, but their original material definitely rules.

Destruction 'eternal devastation' sounds similiar to Hell Awaits.

I disagree with the person who said The Haunted sound like Slayer. The Haunted do not even play thrash. I've heard people regard them as thrash but i'm not getting why.

Sodom is first rate black/thrash, while Slayer have always been second rate, even with Show No Mercy, which is the best and only good album Slayer have ever done, they were only second rate "NWOBHM-esque" stuff.

Sodom is indeed > Slayer.

Ex-cally-boo said:
Sodom is first rate black/thrash, while Slayer have always been second rate, even with Show No Mercy, which is the best and only good album Slayer have ever done, they were only second rate "NWOBHM-esque" stuff.

Sodom is indeed > Slayer.

Saying "Show No Mercy" is the only good album Slayer has ever done automatically disqualifies you from having a valid opinion ever again. Well done.