Any good black metal bands?

soulshred

Dec 7, 2003
Boston, MA
I am into black metal stuff but ı dont know any bands execpt C.O.bodom
are there any other great similar bands.You know fast, melodic,with amazing guitars , keys and musicianship .ı heard bands from Sweden,Norway and Finland are awesome any recommendations?

Hmmmm.. This is a difficult question to answer.
First off, Children of Bodom are in NO way black metal, neither musically or lyrically.
True black metal has both nationalistic and pagan ideals lyrically.
Some bands mask this with more fantasy based lyrics.

If you like keyboards, you might want to start with something more commercial, ala Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth.

I personally can only tolerate very limited amounts of black metal.

Some good black metal bands (in my opinion) are:
Naglfar (Century Media Records, from Sweden)
Immortal (Nuclear Blast, from Norway)
Enslaved (Osmose label, from Norway)

I think a prog metal fan might find Enslaved musically more interesting than most. I personally recommend their amazing recent album "Below the Lights" which was released on The End Records.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, Bodom isn't black metal at all...

I gotta suggest Dimmu Borgir, probably the masters of the genre. Get Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and Death Cult Armageddon are great too.

If you're interested in something a bit out of the ordinary, check out the finnish folk black metal band Finntroll.

Yeah, Bodom isn't black metal at all...

I gotta suggest Dimmu Borgir, probably the masters of the genre. Get Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and Death Cult Armageddon are great too.

If you're interested in something a bit out of the ordinary, check out the finnish folk black metal band Finntroll.

Whats right to call COB.
Trash-power-prog- black metal?

yes, the only black metal element thay have are probably vocals though.

soulshred said:
I am into black metal stuff but ı dont know any bands execpt C.O.bodom
are there any other great similar bands.You know fast, melodic,with amazing guitars , keys and musicianship .ı heard bands from Sweden,Norway and Finland are awesome any recommendations?
This made me LMAO.

Sorry, I'm an ass. I really am. That was funny as hell, though.

You're clearly new to black metal, so if you're looking for something accessible, I'd recommend Borknagar's album "Empiricism", which is somewhat of a cross between black metal and prog. It's mostly prog-ish, actually. Like I said, accessible. True black metal is often very unaccessible and even unlistenable at times.

soulshred said:
Whats right to call COB.
Trash-power-prog- black metal?

yes, the only black metal element thay have are probably vocals though.
"Blackened Power Metal" seems to be the most popular description, and it's one that I'd agree with. Black metal vocals, neo-classical power metal music.

arglebargle said:
"Blackened Power Metal" seems to be the most popular description, and it's one that I'd agree with. Black metal vocals, neo-classical power metal music.

nooooooooo, that term is stupid as fuck. what are they, fish? And the neoclassical influences stop pretty much after hatebreeder. I'd say they're thrash/power musically. Their vocals aren't even straight black metal, its like a mix of black and shouted thrash.

Yngvai X said:
Their vocals aren't even straight black metal, its like a mix of black and shouted thrash.
Agreed.

Check these bands (some are viking other BM):

Astriaal (Renascent Misanthropy)
Ulver (Bergtatt)
Taake (Nattestid Ser Porten Vid)
Windir (Arntor, 1184)
Aeternus (...And So The Night Became)
Blut Aus Nord (The Work Which Transforms God, Memoria Vetusta)
Mirrorthrone (not black metal perse, but you'll probably enjoy them: check Of Wind And Weeping)
Vinterland (Welcome My Last Chapter)
Arcturus (Aspera Hiems Symfonia)
Mayhem (De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas)
Immortal (Pure Holocaust)
Negurã Bunget ('N Crugu Bradului)
Nagelfar (Virus West)

I recommend you, Dimmu Borgir, BAL-SAGOTH, Finntroll, Stormlord, Emperor, The Wickes (This Guys are Insane), Old Man's Child, Norther(They are like COB), Arcturus and Vintersong.

This Bands really rocks, they have a lot of keyboards, and they are very good musicians. I hope this helps...

LifeKeeper said:
I recommend you, Dimmu Borgir, BAL-SAGOTH, Finntroll, Stormlord, Emperor, The Wickes (This Guys are Insane), Old Man's Child, Norther(They are like COB), Arcturus and Vintersong.

This Bands really rocks, they have a lot of keyboards, and they are very good musicians. I hope this helps...
I don't want to open a whole debate, but half the bands you mentioned are not even close to black metal bands.

Now, to actually answer the thread-starter's question.

If you really want to hear some classic black metal, you need to listen to some Darkthrone, Mayhem, Immortal, (earlier) Emperor, Ulver and the like.

If more melodic (i.e. Swedish) black metal is your thing, check out Marduk, especially their earliest stuff and their last few albums.

If you want some black metal with a lot of attention paid to folk hymns & melodies, and a more epic sound, check out Enslaved, Graveland, Falkenbach, Moonsorrow and other viking-style bands.

If you want your black metal cross-polinated with thrash death metal and loads of guitar-driven melody, you need to stop what you're doing and go get everything ever recorded by Dissection. Then when you realize how sad you are since they only have 2 real albums, pick up some Naglfar (the Swedes, not Nagelfar, the Germans) and some Dark Fortress, who continue what Dissection began.

That is all for today's lesson.

dude, if your into bodom, Kalmah will make ur head spin. all the way around. 360 degrees. thats a lot. these guys wipe their ass with bodom.