any no-holds-barred fighting fans?

GUNDAR

New Metal Member
Jul 24, 2001
los angeles, CA
Visit site
I know this has nothing to do with music, but are there any no-holds-barred fighting fans here among you Opeth fans? You know, like the Ultimate Fighting Championship or Pride Fighting Championship... or any other vale tudo fights...

Originally posted by GUNDAR
hey Silhouette,
what's his name???? does he still fight?

He used to fight up in Queensland (a state here in Australia) a few years ago, so being American I'd doubt you know him. I do karate and met him through that. He only fights in karate tournaments now. The experience he gained from NHB fighting sure gives him an advantage.

I guess it's good some people have an outlet for their anger.

But I have to say I think anything from boxing and worse is rediculous :)

It's rediculous that you take pleasure in hitting/hurting and/or getting hit/hurt yourself.

Do something constructive with your time instead.

Of course, this is all IMHO.

I'm a big fan of this !
I'm doing Judo and BJJ and i love it, but i'm a big fan of NHB also !
Next Pride is this sunday, but the line up is not that good, i highly prefer UFC now

Hmmmm ... perhaps your thoughts apply to some forms of fighting. But let me say that there is much more to different styles of fighting than just hurting someone or yourself. I get alot of self satisfaction out of doing karate. In my dojo there is a feeling of togetherness and everyone has the same goals and helps eachother acheive them. It has taught me discipline, self confidence, focus, patience and has made me physically and mentally stronger. Ppl rarely get hurt in normal sparring and can choose whether they want to go on and do more full on fighting. So taking these facts into account, I don't think it's rediculous at all.

BTW, I've been playing drums for about 3 years. And, yeah, it's an awesome way to vent anger. I just feel sorry for my poor skins, hehe. ;)

I wouldn't call karate a fighting sport, I would call it a sports of self defense.
When you compete in karate you're not out to beat the crap out of your opponent, are you?
Ultimate fighting and boxing and anything like that is what I am talking about.

There's a lot to be said for an ultimate test of ones toughness, instinct and fighting ability. Even skilled fighters will tell you that being prepared for anything is of utmost importance. Fighting is, afterall, eighty percent mental. You wouldn't want to find loved ones in a bad way because you didn't have the killer instinct to act during that precious moment of truth.

So... yeah, I think NHB types of fighting are a great way for people to learn about what happens during a fight that is the closest thing to real life.

Originally posted by Johan
It's rediculous that you take pleasure in hitting/hurting and/or getting hit/hurt yourself.

Do something constructive with your time instead.

Of course, this is all IMHO.

injuries are pretty infrequent in NHB compared to boxing. i think boxing is pretty dumb. its too tree trunks hitting each other in the head. in NHB there is a lot more than punchin. you have the punchin and kickin but there is a lot of ground fighting as well...things like submissions and stuff like that. less striking.

as far as constructive. i think it is. you are betting yourself. confidence. conditioning your body and such. also, you have to think or you will lose. you get good reflexes and you feel good when you do it. its not really about hurting people. i like the challenge and i think its fun.