Anybody here that hates the beatles?

No. I respect their influence and innovation - much of their songwriting was clearly ahead of its time.

Musically I like some of their songs (had to record at least one for a band's session) but find a lot of the vacuous, bubbly tunes (Yellow Submarine, I Wanna Hold Your Hand etc.) quite irritating. I could make more o an effort to appreciate their back-catalogue, but don't care enough really.

I don't hate The Beatles, I just don't think they're anywhere near 'the best band ever' like some seem to think.
I've been a life-long Beatles fan. I consider Abbey Road to be one of the 5 best albums ever recorded (in any genre). that being said, I also wouldn't say that they were the "best" band ever, however I do think that they were the most "significant" and "important" band ever. Their significance was both musically and culturally important. I wouldn't say that they single handedly changed the world by any means, but they influenced so many musicians and the music industry on the whole.

They may not have been "the best", but they certainly were the most significant and important band of all time.

JM2CW

I still admire the effect they've had on metal in general. I wasn't surprised to hear that Khan from Kamelot had them as his favorite band.

Helter Skelter! :kickass:

I've collected everything on them over the years...my older brother was into them and I fell into it quite easily.

I agree Lynchsta that Abbey Road kicks ass...The medley's on there..the ending to I Want You still sends shivers and hell..I've heard that riff in many tunes (metal & otherwise) over time.

I really like them a lot. I don't get involved in stupid arguments about them because it gets old fast.
This forum is still going on about this??Move on. Most on here who don't like The Beatles probably were'nt even a cum stain when they were popular. How can you properly assess something if you were'nt aware of the Beatles magnitude in the 60's? Like them or not, if you don't realize their contribution to modern music, well you don't know fuck-all about music. Period.

Their music is just not interesting to me at all. I don't deny the significance they had in rock development, but I will not listen to them. If I was alive when they were popular, I would have grown up on Jazz and Classical instead of Metal.

This forum is still going on about this??Move on. Most on here who don't like The Beatles probably were'nt even a cum stain when they were popular. How can you properly assess something if you were'nt aware of the Beatles magnitude in the 60's? Like them or not, if you don't realize their contribution to modern music, well you don't know fuck-all about music. Period.

Their contribution was much like Metallica's Black Album's contribution to metal. Making what the innovators had done and bringing it to a wider audience through their popularity.

The Beatles, with George Martin, were innovators in their own rights. When the recording boards did not have enough tracks on them to capture everything they needed they would bounce the tracks down to a single track to enable them to capture more and make the songs richer and more textured. Denying the influence that they have had on modern music is like saying that Les Paul and Leo Fender didn't contribute to our music.

Exactly...

Their contribution was much like Metallica's Black Album's contribution to metal. Making what the innovators had done and bringing it to a wider audience through their popularity.
This is so wrong on so many levels... the Beatles were innovators as Musicevangelist has stated... The Beatles did not stay the same... they evolved from bubblegum rock to imo progressive rock for that era... Listen to the White Album compared to their debut album... night and day yet undeniably them with innovations in the latter...

Btw Metallica was already widely popular by the time the Black album came out...

The Beatles, with George Martin, were innovators in their own rights. When the recording boards did not have enough tracks on them to capture everything they needed they would bounce the tracks down to a single track to enable them to capture more and make the songs richer and more textured. Denying the influence that they have had on modern music is like saying that Les Paul and Leo Fender didn't contribute to our music.
Exactly... like saying Hendrix wasn't an innovator as well...

Oh, nonsense, the Beatles played classic rock from day one till the day they died. Best "classic rock band" everest, in fact the epitimy of the classic rock genre, they defined it and even created it, if not for the Beatles we would have never had "classic rock"...

Im not sure about that, theres a piece of Hendrix in every guitar player since and frankly I dont here much Beatles in the music I listen to, but I hear bombastic guitar players everyday and Jimi lit that bottle rocket.

I don't hate the Beatles. I just haven't found one single song of theirs that I think is fantastic or even good. And I've heard most of them.

I consider myself to be an eclectic person. I listen to all kinds of music (anything from Metal to Eurodance, from Pop to Renaissance) and tend to enjoy anything with a great tune, regardless of status or genre.

But, the Beatles just don't appeal to me at all. Do I acknowledge and recognize what they did for the music industry? Yes. Do I still think their music is crap? Yes.

Same goes for the Rolling Stones.

So there you have it. :)

Meh, I don't like them either, but then I didn't grow up on their music like so many seem to have, so no nostalgia factor=dated music.

The Beach Boys are awesome.
My favorite rock band still remains Queen, pretty much to the end of time. First three albums are great, then Night in the Opera=decent(I played the hell out of it), and the greatest hits compilations are timeless monuments.
Innuendo is another good album.

You have Queen ST ? Great record, still have it, listened to it alot, not my favorite of the era but it was a stand out. Queen was much more than just a rock band. Great King Rat ! Someday I need to catch up on their first recordings on CD's. Been ages since I heard II and Shear Heart Attack, first one seemed more special

Yes, Great King Rat rocks!
My favorite of the first three is the second album.Very underrated, in my opinion. Some of the most bewitching and charmingly tongue-in cheek material they've released. I especially love White Queen,the precursor to Bohemian Rhapsody- March of the Black Queen, the proto-metal track Ogre Battle and the dreamy Funny How Love Is. Excellent record overall.

Queen had plenty of pre metal, ST is loaded with bits of it, May never had a really fat riff sound but that was his signature tone largely due to his handmade guitar. Still much of the music was right there. You should have brought this up in the general old rock thread... AKA "classic rock".... LOL, deserves better though. I'd say they were more progressive than anything, often off the hook, musically theatrical

Yea, sorry.You should move it there if you want.
Queen were pretty much innovators in their own right. What I love about this band is how they dabbled in so many styles, and while this may have made some of their albums rather patchy, they still looked for ways to reinvent themselves. And Mercury's vocal acrobatics are amazing, adapting pitch and tone to fit each song like a glove, and are unmatched to this day, if not everyone's cup of tea, I guess.