Anybody why to try mixing a tune for me?

CJWall said:
One of the hardest things for me is getting the low-end sounding nice and tight/punchy but not booming and overbearing. I don't know if it's my monitors or room or both but I just cannot seem to get it how I want it. Any suggestions? I actually have a high-pass on the 2buss as well set at around 41hz or so.. would multi-band compression help me here you think?

Thanks!
Charlie
I loaded your MP3 and in my estimation... taming at 104Hz with a fairly narrow Q made a significant improvement. I also tried a bit of compression below 200Hz and that smoothed also, but I stay away from MB compression on the Stereo Buss. I'd back up stream and fix it there.

If you get up and walk around while playing your song and bass starts popping out or going away in different locations then you have room modal issues that need attention. I bet you do. You can't get rid of all of them but they can be smoothed. If your room dimensions are on some level multiples (e.g 12X10X8, 16x8x12 ) , then your room really needs treating. Regardless, it still needs some bass traps.

kp-

Keiffer said:
I loaded your MP3 and in my estimation... taming at 104Hz with a fairly narrow Q made a significant improvement. I also tried a bit of compression below 200Hz and that smoothed also, but I stay away from MB compression on the Stereo Buss. I'd back up stream and fix it there.

If you get up and walk around while playing your song and bass starts popping out or going away in different locations then you have room modal issues that need attention. I bet you do. You can't get rid of all of them but they can be smoothed. If your room dimensions are on some level multiples (e.g 12X10X8, 16x8x12 ) , then your room really needs treating. Regardless, it still needs some bass traps.

kp-

thanks for the tips man, greatly appreciated. My room is of typical bedroom size and shape, so dimensions are far from ideal. I do have some Auralex stuff up around my listening area, but I do have huge low-end spikes when walking around the room..

Any particular brand of bass trap you prefer?

Charlie

Yeah I have major modal issues, since I'm just in a standard bedroom. I try to work past them, but low-end is always a struggle to get right. I never know which pumping is due to my room and which is due to the mix. Ah well.

CJWall said:
thanks for the tips man, greatly appreciated. My room is of typical bedroom size and shape, so dimensions are far from ideal. I do have some Auralex stuff up around my listening area, but I do have huge low-end spikes when walking around the room..

Any particular brand of bass trap you prefer?

Charlie
I have no experience with realtraps but I wouldn't hesitate to buy some.

I'm lucky that I have a 10K cuft mixing room which helps with modal issues. I have built my own bass traps. In both back corners I have a Passive Resonator (forget the design name) and also I have two boxes (didn't unpack them 12"x24"x48") of ridge 2" fiberglass panels stacked to the ceiling in one corner. I also have several wall to ceiling angled 4" thick fiberglass panels.

I have used R + D for some time now to make room acoustic decisions and would recommend you take a look at this SW. It'll be an eye opener.

If you don't get a handle on your room, you really can't make accurate mixing decisions.

kp-

Final mixes for me right here. Only difference is limiter settings. The second is louder, but that means more artifacts. Everyone seems to think louder is better. Adjust the volume on your system and then judge from there. The third one seems to be the clearest, which is one of my original mixes.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=88CF5CEA66386976

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=D9C5792014C5AA8A

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=453A470C478ED66D