Anybody why to try mixing a tune for me?

Hey Charlie man, I love everything in your mix apart from the bathroom verb thing you got going on the backing vox near the end. I think it's fantastic and basically sounds broadcast ready from what I hear.

I'm downloading the tracks now and may give it a bash tomorrow since I have the day off.

Feedback Round 2:
Listed by filename

• [savefile]060712122028_Splat88mix2.mp3 - good mix. Vox don't seem to be part of the music. Not sure how to explain it.
  • 01_01__MKS_Mixoff.mp3 - Primus mix? Interesting to say the least.
  • 7-13-06 CJWall FoolsCrown Mix.mp3 - Great mix! No complaints. Very in your face.
  • Daunt-FoolsCrown_v2.mp3 - Good mix. Guitar sound is a little hollow. Not as "in your face" but still quite good. Clarity is very nice.
  • edsrecordings+foolscrowncleanmix.mp3 - seems to "wobbly" sounding. Not sure why. Very scooped sound.
  • Fools.wma - basic mix. not bad. seems distant and lacks power.
  • fools_crown_faderhead_mix_01m.mp3 - very creative concept. ministry meets zombie at a gay bar and covers a fools crown sound. I like it but not quite right for the band.
  • freddrik--foolscrown.mp3 - basic mix. not bad. seems distant and lacks power and a little hollow.
  • Keith's mix.mp3 - basic mix. needs "ommmph". very distant sounding.
  • matula_mixdown.mp3 - sounds like every one of my demos from the early 90's. vox sound apart from the rest.
  • Mix 3 Splat88.mp3 - ballsy. I like it. Very in your face.
  • Mix 3.1 Splat88.mp3 - same as above but a little harsh. I think I hear some unwanted fizziness.
  • mix attempt-final.mp3 - very rubin'ish. simple. I like it. Still needs more power and less distance.
  • YARGH.mp3 - very fizzy. not bad not really suited for this band.

Overall, my 3 favorite mixes are from Charlie (CJ), Daunt & Splatt.

Link to all the submissions for round 2:
http://www.mksstudios.com/round2.zip

Thanks guys. No more feedback from me until Sunday for the final Round (Round 3).

You may also notice Laura (guitarist) is also posting now.

MKS said:
Feedback Round 2:

[*]fools_crown_faderhead_mix_01m.mp3 - very creative concept. ministry meets zombie at a gay bar and covers a fools crown sound. I like it but not quite right for the band.

Thanks guys. No more feedback from me until Sunday for the final Round (Round 3).

You may also notice Laura (guitarist) is also posting now.

Hehe, cool. Thanks for the feedback. If I was the producer, I'd screw a lot with most of the tracks to make them sound less "old and dusty" (not recording wise, but sound/idea-wise) and more modern. To me the most important quality of a producer is his ability to make the band sound "more" than they are and maybe push them in directions where they surprise the listener. Still, I can totally understand if the band doesn't want to be pushed in a direction like that.

Well this won't be knocking on any doors around here, but I'll post it all the same, haha.

http://www.freefileupload.net/file.php?file=files/140706/1152854676/foolscrown-moonlapsemix.mp3

Charlie man, I wonder if there's any way you could share how you treated the rhythm guitars and bass? I've always liked the fact that you get so much low-end into your mixes. I can never do it without the bass sounding all round and crappy. Also, you did a really good job making GuitarSuite sound more realistic.

EDIT: I should add that the Sonic Timeworks compressor was doing weird shit to my toms. I had to take them down heaps in volume, but it still distorts and ducks whenever they come in. I really don't get why. Will have to work on that, haha.

Moonlapse said:
Well this won't be knocking on any doors around here, but I'll post it all the same, haha.

http://www.freefileupload.net/file.php?file=files/140706/1152854676/foolscrown-moonlapsemix.mp3

Charlie man, I wonder if there's any way you could share how you treated the rhythm guitars and bass? I've always liked the fact that you get so much low-end into your mixes. I can never do it without the bass sounding all round and crappy. Also, you did a really good job making GuitarSuite sound more realistic.

EDIT: I should add that the Sonic Timeworks compressor was doing weird shit to my toms. I had to take them down heaps in volume, but it still distorts and ducks whenever they come in. I really don't get why. Will have to work on that, haha.

First off, thanks for the compliments!
But dude, I'm having the same exact problem with the Timeworks compressor on my toms and various other elements in the mix. I don't even have it limiting, I just stuck it on the 2buss to keep my overall master at 0.0 and it's still doing funky shite to my sounds, dunno. We gotta sort that...

As for rhythm guitars, it took a LOT of creative EQ'ing to get 'em sounding decent. I also set up an aux send with RComp and send a bit of the Guitar Buss to it for a little extra kick and consistency.

As for bass, the basic sound was great, so the only EQ I did was a HPF at like 30hz. I did however run the bass track through Amplitube to dirty it up. Adding that grit really helps the bass stick to the GTRS. Too much and you'll have a sloppy mess so, it's just about experimenting.

BTW, I dig your mix. Did you use GuitarSuite as well?
Charlie

Here's my first full mix.

I used my Cobra Ch2 for the Rhythm Guitars and V30 speakers

The bridge is the Cobra Ch3, but it's really tucked under

I don't think mine's as heavy as the others since MKS said Crowns Fool is a Hard Core Punk typish band...

I just listened to a couple... nice :kickass:

anyways here's My Mix

here's my previous for fun Bass Only no Guitars version

kp-

I just listened to the three that MKS liked and Damn they're loud... :loco: mine's definitely not going to compete at these levels and probably won't anyways

Charlie, one thing really stood out... the bottom end in your mix on my system seems unruly

Great job guys... :kickass:

CJWall said:
First off, thanks for the compliments!
But dude, I'm having the same exact problem with the Timeworks compressor on my toms and various other elements in the mix. I don't even have it limiting, I just stuck it on the 2buss to keep my overall master at 0.0 and it's still doing funky shite to my sounds, dunno. We gotta sort that...

As for rhythm guitars, it took a LOT of creative EQ'ing to get 'em sounding decent. I also set up an aux send with RComp and send a bit of the Guitar Buss to it for a little extra kick and consistency.

As for bass, the basic sound was great, so the only EQ I did was a HPF at like 30hz. I did however run the bass track through Amplitube to dirty it up. Adding that grit really helps the bass stick to the GTRS. Too much and you'll have a sloppy mess so, it's just about experimenting.

BTW, I dig your mix. Did you use GuitarSuite as well?
Charlie

Yeah, the Timeworks compressor did strike me as being a bit too good to be true, hehe.

Cheers for the insight. I don't know why I didn't run the bass through Guitar Rig 2! I keep forgetting the benefits of distortion on keeping an even low end and adding to the gtrs. Thanks man.

Yeah I used Guitar Suite as well. It's pretty much the only software amp sim I'd go to for high-gain sounds. Didn't use it to the same effect you did, but still, haha, gave it a bash.

One thing I'm wondering. Do you have the close-mic Hi-hat track up in your mix? I've noticed your hat is a lot fuller sounding than most of the other mixes, and I figured that's maybe coz you don't have it as high filtered as the OHs. I got way too much hat in the OHs, so I couldn't really use the close-mic track haha.

Keiffer said:
I just listened to the three that MKS liked and Damn they're loud... :loco: mine's definitely not going to compete at these levels and probably won't anyways

Being loud is not necessarily a good thing. The loudest albums I own are hard for me to listen to. I'm interested to see if a label will eventually say enough is enough on the whole limiting thing and release an album that is NOT SO LOUD! It would start a great trend. The only time I think louder is better is when I'm listening to a CD in a really noisy car and want to hear everything all the time. When I have headphones on, I can't listen to a lot of modern mixes.

Splat88 said:
Being loud is not necessarily a good thing.
I try to stay around K-14 to K-12 FS

I'd like to see a mixoff where everyone mixes to a certain RMS Avg level. That would make listening easier and should level playing field some

kp-

Keiffer said:

Charlie, one thing really stood out... the bottom end in your mix on my system seems unruly

One of the hardest things for me is getting the low-end sounding nice and tight/punchy but not booming and overbearing. I don't know if it's my monitors or room or both but I just cannot seem to get it how I want it. Any suggestions? I actually have a high-pass on the 2buss as well set at around 41hz or so.. would multi-band compression help me here you think?

Thanks!
Charlie