Anybody why to try mixing a tune for me?

Just a little background and update. I was not paid to record this project. I'm still new to the studio and I did this as a learning experience and as a favor to some old friends. 11 songs were recorded but only 7 (maybe 8) will be released.

Thanks to everyone taking the time to post their mixes. It's nice to get a fresh outlook on the mixing process. IMHO, mixing is far more complicated than tracking.

I've told the band that the should hire the poster with the best mix to mix the entire CD. So far, I would say Splatt has the best sounding mix. I would be happy to have a good representation of our lil' studio.

Keep'em coming folks.

Machinated said:
Just out of curiosity, what mic's and pre's were used in tracking? Should have the drums downloaded in about 20 mins, can't wait to start on it.

Snare - SM57 & DDrum Trigger -> RME Firewire 800
Under Snare (Acutally on the floor) - Sennheiser MD421II -> RME Firewire 800
Kick - e602 & DDrum Trigger -> RME Firewire 800
Toms - e604 -> M-Audio Octane
Ride - MAudio Nova Condenser Microphone -> M-Audio Octane
Hats - MAudio Nova Condenser Microphone -> M-Audio Octane
Overheads - (2) Behringer B2 Pro Microphone -> M-Audio Octane
Ambient - Rode K2 Tube Microphone -> M-Audio Octane

Vox - Rode K2 Tube Microphone -> M-Audio Octane

Guitars & Bass went into the instrument direct channel of the RME Firewire 800 Interface. Used Guitar Rig 2 for monitoring purposes.

Both M-Audio Octanes are lightpiped into my RME Firewire Interface

I think it was recorded at 48/24

Sonar PE 5.2

Laura Guitar - Gibson Les Paul
Dan Guitar - Some Schector (not sure on model)
Bass - Old Fender P-Bass
Drums - 5pc Sonar Delites
Cymbals - I can't remember.

Anybody know why 'the rest' files can't be read by my pro tools rig? I am re-downloading the wavs but thought I'd see if anyone else had had any issues?

Drums sound cool - and the trigger even adds a nice click to the kick so I may even use that! Think i'll use whats there instead of resample - I'm getting pissed off of hearing way over produced no balls all teeth sound. - It'll probably sound like shit though compared to a modern tone - stilll - I like a challenge - expect a warm and puncht mix.

Machinated said:
MKS - Sorry to be a continual pest, but do you have the tempo track for this? If you could do a print screen or quickly write it out, Id really appreciate it.

Im loving every second of doing this song - cheers for putting it up man! Just what I needed.

Sorry man, no tempo track was used. The drummer wasn't comfortable with a click at the time of recording.

No worries MKS, I tried working out the tempo and couldn't get it. At least I know why now :loco: Sounds really well recorded man, well done.

Just done a 1st mix, gone for a bit of a dirty sound, havent used any samples on this one. Ill do a completely different mix of it tomorrow with a more polished sound and samples. Fancied mixing it 2 different ways. Any feedback is appreciated.

Fools Crown DIRTY Mix :headbang:

First of all, thanks for all the submissions. I didn't expect so much interest. I really appreciate it.

ROUND 1

Feedback from entries made thus far:

Listed by filename:

• [savefile]060710040831_Mixing_Challenge_Splat88.mp3 - Great mix so far. Would like to hear more. Drums may need a little more beef but not much. Guitar sounds great.
  • mix attempt2.mp3 - too much treble overall.
  • t_m_h_foolscrownmix.mp3 - a little overwashed with verb for this type of music. need a bit more "rawness" to it
  • QuickMix .mp3 - too much reverb and not "ballsy" enough. seems very distant.
  • mix_1-02.mp3 - not enough balls. guitars need more gain overall.
  • mix attempt.mp3 - very distant sounding. needs to be more upfront.
  • FoolsCrown - Lopes Mix 7-10-06.mp3 - not bad but too overwashed with reverb for this type of music. sounds distant. Good drum sounds. I really like the "clack" of the snare.
  • foolscrown2.mp3 - too much reverb and not "ballsy" enough. seems very distant.
  • DRumuzz-03mt.mp3 - not bad but distant. sounds a little hollow.
  • edsrecordings+foolscrownsong.mp3 - not bad at all. guitar sounds a little processed to me. Not really diggin' the intro. The drums need a little work. They need more "oommph". Overall, good mix.

Please don't get mad at me. I'm just giving my honest feedback. I don't really have any room to criticize anyone because I suck at mixing. My personal preference may not match the thoughts of the other people on this board.

Here's a zip off all the entries so far (round 1):
http://www.mksstudios.com/round1.zip

IMHO, as of now, Splatt88 is in the lead.

BTW - Andy & James, where's your attempt? (just kiddin')
pickle.gif

MKS said:
First of all, thanks for all the submissions. I didn't expect so much interest. I really appreciate it.

ROUND 1

Feedback from entries made thus far:

Listed by filename:

• [savefile]060710040831_Mixing_Challenge_Splat88.mp3 - Great mix so far. Would like to hear more. Drums may need a little more beef but not much. Guitar sounds great.
  • mix attempt2.mp3 - too much treble overall.
  • t_m_h_foolscrownmix.mp3 - a little overwashed with verb for this type of music. need a bit more "rawness" to it
  • QuickMix .mp3 - too much reverb and not "ballsy" enough. seems very distant.
  • mix_1-02.mp3 - not enough balls. guitars need more gain overall.
  • mix attempt.mp3 - very distant sounding. needs to be more upfront.
  • FoolsCrown - Lopes Mix 7-10-06.mp3 - not bad but too overwashed with reverb for this type of music. sounds distant. Good drum sounds. I really like the "clack" of the snare.
  • foolscrown2.mp3 - too much reverb and not "ballsy" enough. seems very distant.
  • DRumuzz-03mt.mp3 - not bad but distant. sounds a little hollow.
  • edsrecordings+foolscrownsong.mp3 - not bad at all. guitar sounds a little processed to me. Not really diggin' the intro. The drums need a little work. They need more "oommph". Overall, good mix.

Please don't get mad at me. I'm just giving my honest feedback. I don't really have any room to criticize anyone because I suck at mixing. My personal preference may not match the thoughts of the other people on this board.

Here's a zip off all the entries so far (round 1):
http://www.mksstudios.com/round1.zip

IMHO, as of now, Splatt88 is in the lead.

BTW - Andy & James, where's your attempt? (just kiddin')
pickle.gif

Hey I'm glad you like my mix! Yes, the drums need a little more punch. I just opened my Cubase file and realized I accidentally turned on a highpass filter at 70 hz on the main mix. The kick drum totally disappeared! I'm going to make a much better mix overall anyway. That was just a quick test I did before I wne to bed last night. I might actually keep the guitarsuite guitars instead of going through an amp or POD. I'm digging the way they're sounding.