Anyone also listen to punk?

Shiny McShining Rodriguez

Pain: the gateway.
Oct 17, 2003
Canberra, Australia
Just curious as to whether anyone here listens to both metal and punk. I personally don't listen to punk, but was listening to Motorhead recently and pondering over the fact that Lemmy considers his music to be punk... Like I said, I don't listen to punk and don't know the first thing about it, perhaps I should? Any ideas?

I've only heard the Misfits, GBH, Dead Kennedy's...but why would you think that you should "know about punk" just because some influence? Screw that.

Christie_fell said:
I've only heard the Misfits, GBH, Dead Kennedy's...but why would you think that you should "know about punk" just because some influence? Screw that.

It was mostly sarcasm on my part I guess "perhaps I should" basically was me saying I should be more knowledgeable, not that I should listen to it. I was just wondering if there was any punk that was more along the metal lines (aesthetically perhaps) that people were listening too. I understand that the ideologies clash, but I was curious none-the-less.

Discharge is widely regarded as the close it gets, I think... Anyway, I rather like them. I can't claim to be super-knowledgable on the subject, but most punk I've heard does suck a whole lot of arse.

EDIT: Also, no "OMG DISCHARGE ARE HARDCORE WHATCHU SAYIN?!" from any of you shitheads, I don't fucking care, fuck off.

Gallantry over Docility said:
Also, no "OMG DISCHARGE ARE HARDCORE WHATCHU SAYIN?!" from any of you shitheads, I don't fucking care, fuck off.

Sounds threatening
ill.gif

...wait...

god5ey.jpg

:lol:

Punk is dead... it died the day after it was invented and wasn't original anymore.

Fuck punk and anyone who even looks like they like punk.

It has to be Black Flag. The only punk I will listen to.

The cross over stuff Cryptic Slaughter,DRI is better. Punk + thrash.

You people never cease to amaze me. When it comes to music outside one's own preferred genre, metalheads in general have got to be the least open-minded group of music lovers out there. I loved punk before I got into metal, and I still listen to it pretty often. Flame away...

Oh man GoD Erik is ripping you APART.

Old punk and hardcore owns. Owns hard.

If you guys want to hear a new school band playing old-school hardcore that totally rocks ass, get Loud Pipes - Downhill Blues.

Oh yeah punk and crossover gets plenty of listens from me. Bands like The Zero
Boys, Toxic Reasons, Angry Samoans, Sloppy Seconds, GBH, Discharge, Exploited, Ramones, DK,DRI, and many more still get played around my household.

Erik said:
AND STILL MEN AND WOMEN DRAG OUT THEIR LIVES IN MISERY
BLINDED DISFIGURED AND MENTALLY SCARRED
THE NIGHTMARE CONTINUES!!!

JÄVLAR!

After some silence at the end of "Through the Red"? Then again, I suppose you've never actually listened that far :D

Ah yeah, I remember that passage and remember thinking it was punky. I used to listen to it loads before I ever heard of Discharge, and I've listened to it occasionally in recent times yet it never really clicked that it was a Discharge cover.