Old school black metal and death metal

death metal black metal

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2007
I've decided these aren't subgenres or time periods, but attitudes that can be rediscovered in any time. You could do it now, even.

After years of trying, I'm going to just admit that I don't want to listen to anything but art created in this spirit. It's all that interests me (outside of classical/Baroque/romantic/Modern music, which is 80% or more of my listening). I don't want to talk about metalcore, emo, nu-punk, nu-metal, punk rock, and all those recent creations.

I want to talk about the stuff that got away from what all sounds the same to me, the rock and roll and punk and bounce metal hordes, because they seem to be saying the same thing: it's all about you. Death metal and black metal of the underground were scarier, because they said the opposite: life doesn't care about you, look at the big patterns like history and philosophy and DEATH and natural selection.

I <3 the old school.

I've decided these aren't subgenres or time periods, but attitudes that can be rediscovered in any time. You could do it now, even.

After years of trying, I'm going to just admit that I don't want to listen to anything but art created in this spirit. It's all that interests me (outside of classical/Baroque/romantic/Modern music, which is 80% or more of my listening). I don't want to talk about metalcore, emo, nu-punk, nu-metal, punk rock, and all those recent creations.

I want to talk about the stuff that got away from what all sounds the same to me, the rock and roll and punk and bounce metal hordes, because they seem to be saying the same thing: it's all about you. Death metal and black metal of the underground were scarier, because they said the opposite: life doesn't care about you, look at the big patterns like history and philosophy and DEATH and natural selection.

I <3 the old school.

A good friend of mine once told me that if he was born in the late 90s he would have not been a metalhead...I look at the bands i enjoy listening to and i think to myself maybe i could say the same thing...in the other hand the part of me thats wild and likes to headbang thinks i would allwyas find something good to enjoy.

There does seem to be something pervasive about the 'old school' style of Black and Death Metal that is transcribed within even the newer bands that are continuing this style. Even though they are completely unoriginal at this point in the history of Metal and are merely regurgitating what others have done in the past, there is something in the genuine and pure nature of the music that they are playing that is able to recapture a glimmer of the past. They are continuing on in the same tradition and spirit that originally stood for breaking away from other musical styles and not being influenced by the trends of the day or of yesterday, which is why it is still worth hearing. It's the taking from the original source material like Slayer, Bathory, Possessed, Morbid Angel, etc., and utilizing these sources in a pure and untainted form, that makes regurgitated 'old school' Metal so charming.

The old bands REALLY LOVED THE MUSIC. I must say that Hellhammer sounds like shit, but they really loved the genre. This is what metal is missing.

i don't give a shit if some band is old or new. of course i like more old metal bands than new, but we have good surprises, like nevermore, municipal waste, nile and many others that i respect like an old metal band, and i must to say that there are many bad old metal bands, like pyogenesis, christ aghony, crematory, cemetery of screams and anothers horrible, that i could say that they are a shame to the world metal scene

I like old school stuff just as much as I like the modern stuff that's coming out. However, I think in the long-run, the old school material will retain its longevity while my need for new stuff is not quenched.

As a modern metal fan (as in, I am young), I enjoy both the metal from 2000- that got me into the genre and also a LOT of the old classics of black and death.

It's true, there is something special in old school heavy metal that you just cannot find in modern metal.

The special part is that it was original at the time, bands were feeling their way forward into the realms of extremity. Now the only 'new' stuff is either reproductions of old styles or different combinations of styles put together. There is still plenty of inspired music being made, but it definitely lacks the 'pioneering' feel of the older stuff.