Anyone heard new Opeth yet?

Opeth are at that point now where they are going to get criticism no matter what they do, unfortunately. If they changed too drastically, then people would be complaining about that, and if they stay true to their present sound, then people say its predictable or boring. It's a really fine line to walk musically, where you can stay fresh and at the same time still please the die hard fans. The one thing I can say pretty confidently about Opeth, is that they care more about writing what they enjoy playing, and if people dont like it or are disappointed, then that comes secondary.
Like I mentioned before, this new cd hasnt really grabbed me like their past cds have. But I respect them still very much and their level of musicianship is still so far above a good majority of others out there, I cant help but remain impressed with them.

that's it NvmbrsDoom5...i'm with you...

what i have to say is that i have changed my opinion about the album...my first impression was terrible...i only enjoyed the first song...but after listening to it more and more times now i can say that the album rules...predictable? yes, but...it's cool anyway...
what i can't stand up to now is the end of the song "deliverance"...they could have avoid that endless repetion...

sorry for my english!

ecto.

Ya know I did not have a "bad" first impression of this album...maybe I am just not a seasoned Opeth listener or something...it grabbed me right away:D I could go on and on...but I wouldn't want to be "repititious":p

Honestly, I can't see why people don't like it if they are into Opeth. It's pretty much what you expect from this band, with a bit more accessability. I love it. I feel it's the "easiest" cd of there's to listen to, meaning it's not quite as chaotic in structure. Not to leave out, it has more hook all over the place.

Well I am hoping to finally go out and actually purchase the cd today, so after I get to listen to it several times through on my own, I can see if it's grown on me any more. Up to now I have only heard it in bits and pieces.

Let me clarify myself. I agree with NvmbrsDoom5 in that Opeth write what they enjoy playing. I wouldn't have it any other way. I also agree that no matter what Opeth do, they will be praised and criticized. It's just the nature of the beast.

I think with Still Life, the band found a sound they are comfortable to stick with, and haven't left that comfort zone since. THis in turn, creates predictability.

Another time I have to agree with dreamlord.
Since Still Life something changed, I think that nowadays Opeth's music have less emotion than their previous releases, are more technical, best produced... But not better.

The Opeth sound is now standard, it is not a good thing

Alright, I have purchased the cd at last.

I've listened to it five times already. It's definately growing on me. I do notice that they dont have as many quiet interludes on here. Perhaps because of the whole "heavy album/ soft album" concept that they are doing with this two cd thing? I'm not sure if I like that, actually. There are definately some great hooks on here. This feels like an easier album to listen to, where you dont have to concentrate so much on what is going on. For lack of a better word, there's more "flow". I like it.
I have now gone and listened to all of their cds, and I gotta say, I dont think theres anything standard about them. Yeah, they have a style, which is GOOD. But each cd is distinct from one another. I dont think Still Life, BWP, and Deliverance sound hardly anything like one another, other than the general Opeth style being consistent.
I think the early cds may have a bit more of a separation between them because they were still a band growing and maturing and finding their path. And while that can make for a very interesting listening experience, eventually a band will find its way, its sound, and I think thats what has happened with Opeth....
and besides, I personally dont care for 'Orchid', even if that isnt "underground true" for me to say, pfft.

I personally think Orchid is their best. And no, I'm not an old-school Opeth fan. MAYH was my first Opeth album.

The same goes for me...people who talk something like this 'underground' shit prove that they had their head stuck in their ass while listening to Orchid - if they listened to it at all. The production is almost the same as on Morningrise and the playing didn't seem to improve between those two releases (that's no surprise since they already played godly on Orchid, at least IMO). I just like the songs on Orchid better...the songs seem to have more flow in them and it seems to be more varied.

My point was, that alot of people out there talk shit about everything else Opeth has done since 'Morningrise' and on, but they like 'Orchid' because that was when they were "true underground" and whatnot. I personally don't care as much for 'Orchid' but only because, for whatever reason, it just doesn't grab me as much. I don't think stylistically there's much difference between 'Orchid' and 'Morningrise', I just got into the latter much more for whatever reason. Alot of people really love 'Still Life' and for me, that one is probably the one I listen to the least of all *shrug* The nice thing about Opeth is that even though they keep their defining sound on each release, they all stand out on their own.

In any case, I'm not saying Orchid is bad, Im just saying that I dont give a shit what these elitist underground fans have to say, I think that the band has improved greatly since then, and only liking 'Orchid' because it was more underground than the rest of their releases is just goofy. If you like Orchid better because you just honestly think the songs are better, then thats great. I'm just sick of the closed minded underground crap some of these people spout out constantly.

And EVERYTHING Opeth has released from day one has been "godly" in my opinion as well. I just didnt care for 'Orchid' as much as others. Or 'Still Life'. Just personal preference.

Originally posted by turnloosetheswans
where do ya get an underground elitist licence or permit...cuz id really like one....

No man, you like goth and Y & T and Stryper, I think the elitists would revoke your card instantly, if you'd even get one to begin with! :lol: You're only allowed to like cds that aren't able to sell more than 5,000 copies haha! And don't forget that slow tempos are a sign of weakness :rolleyes: I say these things because I have ACTUALLY heard people declare such things and mean it.....crazy 'innit?

Ah well, people can have a narrowminded perspective on everything if they want, just as long as they leave me the fuck alone.....

p.s. For the record, I hadn't really given 'Orchid' a thorough listen again until recently, so I am going to continue to listen to it more and see if it doesn't make a better impression on me. I remember for a long time being sorta 'blah' towards Morningrise, and the more I listened to it, the more it became a favorite. So who knows, maybe?

Originally posted by NvmbrsDoom5
Alright, I have purchased the cd at last.

I've listened to it five times already. It's definately growing on me. I do notice that they dont have as many quiet interludes on here. Perhaps because of the whole "heavy album/ soft album" concept that they are doing with this two cd thing? I'm not sure if I like that, actually. There are definately some great hooks on here. This feels like an easier album to listen to, where you dont have to concentrate so much on what is going on. For lack of a better word, there's more "flow". I like it.
I have now gone and listened to all of their cds, and I gotta say, I dont think theres anything standard about them. Yeah, they have a style, which is GOOD. But each cd is distinct from one another. I dont think Still Life, BWP, and Deliverance sound hardly anything like one another, other than the general Opeth style being consistent.
I think the early cds may have a bit more of a separation between them because they were still a band growing and maturing and finding their path. And while that can make for a very interesting listening experience, eventually a band will find its way, its sound, and I think thats what has happened with Opeth....
and besides, I personally dont care for 'Orchid', even if that isnt "underground true" for me to say, pfft.

Amen Brother!! I haven't heard somrthing more right on in ages!!

WHAT HE SAID!!!:)