April Ethereal, I love it

jhetfield99

New Metal Member
Feb 25, 2006
Indiana
From the black-metalish thunderous intro, to the clean vocals and acoustic guitar at 3:45, to the long, bended notes at 6:00, this is easily one of my fave Opeth songs. Everytime I hear the 6:00 part I close my eyes in ecstasy. I was hoping to hear it at the upcoming Chronology show in Chicago, but seeing the previous posts with the setlists from this tour, it seems unlikely.

My question: is this a song that often finds itself in Opeth's live rotation? It'd be a shame if not, such a heavy asskicker. Lots of people in the crowd were chanting for it the last time I saw them in Chicago, so it 'appeared' in demand, but it could have just been that crowd.

:headbang: DEFINITELY ONE of my favourite songs ever! I HOPE they play this at the London show in a few days (28th) - I JUST CAN'T WAIT! It'll be my 7th time seeing the guys live.

That song is amazing in every aspect. It is undoubtedly a classic but it seems to be almost underrated. Until now I have never heard it be praised. Good Thread. Great Song!!

Putting "April Ethereal" and "When" next to eachother on "My Arms, Your Hearse" was the best idea Opeth ever had. Their 2 best songs by a mile i believe. Actually, if possible, i would lose my virginity while the beginning of this cd is playing in the background.

brownden said:
Putting "April Ethereal" and "When" next to eachother on "My Arms, Your Hearse" was the best idea Opeth ever had. Their 2 best songs by a mile i believe. Actually, if possible, i would lose my virginity while the beginning of this cd is playing in the background.

need some help?! :oops:

It's in my top 3 songs easily.
Lately I've been loving it even more.

Also hoping for a chance to see it live in April but I can't see it happening.

ahhh prologue + April Ethereal + When. Very good point. This is also my favorite Opeth Combo in the catalog. The songs go together so well. I often listen to the begining of MAYH on the way home from work to cool me down after a long day. I oftne start it off with my other favorite combo: Wreath + Deliverance, that one gets the blood flowing.

I definately want to hear both MAYH and BwP in their entireties. That would make for one hell of a show if it happened on the same night. Damn think of that, open with Prologue+April Ethereal. Close with Blackwater PArk. ahhh, damn

I too agree that it is one of my top 5 favorite Opeth songs. It really gets you excited for the rest of the album. A little off topic here, but I hate to admit this, but I use to not enjoy My Arms Your Hearse that much. Just something about it made me not want to listen. Then one day I was listening to it and just opened up and fell in love with it as a whole. And I feel April Etheral helped me see how beautiful of an album it is.

Seeing April Ethereal live was one of the greatest concert moments I have ever had.

Actually, the Lamentations Over America Tour was probably my favorite show. It was the last date of the tour, I got to hear The Moor AND April Ethereal in one night...simply amazing.