Arch Enemy

descendencyfw

Jul 4, 2003
Delaware
Visit site
I'm listening to Anthems of Rebellion again, and it's still full of unmemorable filler. With exception to maybe "Dead Eyes See No Future" and another song or two, it's very subpar. ...Doomsday Machine on the other hand kicks ass. Better than Wages of Sin.
Disclaimer : The best AA cd will not touch the lamest NM cd.

Seeing them wednesday. I thought doomsday machine was LAME, it was so boring. Wages of Sin is pretty good, but im not a huge fan. They've got quite bland.

...actually, maybe if I was high it might sound even better?
Ok. I'll have to go back and listen to Wages of Sin again. I think "Nemesis" may totally sway me on this one. That has to be one of the most killer songs and riffs of all time! Remind's me of Painkiller from JP. There are other killer songs on Doomsday Machine, but nothing that matches "Nemesis", on DM or WoS.

To hell with WoS through DM

everything up to Burning Bridges > everything after it

...and I wouldn't put Arch Enemy up with any of my favs (NM, Dream Theater, Slayer, etc...), I was just listening to them at the time of the original post and find them rather interesting with their heavy metal style w/ the female death metal vocalist. A "best of" from their WoS through DM era would make a killer set... Oh yeah, that's why I burnt my favs from all of those onto one disc! (No flaming, I own real copies of all of them.)

I actually dig Arch Enemy the most when they kick up some speed and back it up with killer groove riffs. Actually, that's what I dig most about all of my favorite bands. Speed is a necessity to make the killer groove even more powerful and pounding.
My fav NM songs have that same formula, then WD backs it up with powerful lyrics and melody in his vocals. NM just does this much better than anyone on the planet and that is what sets them apart from the rest.

I like everything. (NO REALLY?) but I think that Doomsday Machine is really good if you listen to it a couple times. I liked a lot less the first and second time through then the third. Also, Wages of sin is good but not that great...

and here, is what I think if you don't feel like reading

Burning Bridges
Stigmata
Doomsday Machine
Wages of Sin
Black Earth
Anthems of Rebellion