ARCH ENEMY

After listening to this for a while, I kind of wish the rhythm guitars were a little louder by just a few db's. They definitely seem lower in this mix compared to older mixes. Overall, everything else seems like an improvement from any other Arch Enemy CD.

Rhythm guitar tone turned out great, as indicated by the YouTube clip.

Based on this and a recent personal experience I basically went out and bought a Marshall JVM the other night. Was never a Marshall guy, but this amp is intense! Thanks Andy!

hey guys, please check this!

Arch Enemy // Khaos Legions
Track 5 (No Gods, No Masters): on the right side is a digital beep at 3:56 (original CD)

Is it only on my CD or what's happen there? :err:

Sounds like a synth to me, as there's a slight beep on the left side two beats later, and both are in-time with the music.

Hi,

I listened to the cd a couple of times now. Mixwise I think it's a bit different from the previous AE stuff and other recent AS productions, but I think it sounds great as well. Great job Andy!

There is just one thing that I noticed and I'm wondering if I'm the only one who noticed this. At some points it sounds to me like some tracks are out of synch. The song 'no gods, no master' would be the best example to listen to in this regard. To me it sounds like the drums are just 'behind' compared to the rest of the band. Probably it's not being out of synch as I don't think it's consistent during the whole song. But what could it be? Sloppy playing? I know AE consists of great musicians so I can't imagine this. A mistake in editing? Well maybe. I don't know.

Please don't get me wrong. It's not my intention to criticize the band or engineers in any way. I'm also not the type of person who is complaining that it doesn't sound tight if it's not played/edited 100% spot on. I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed the same and has an idea of what it could be.

Best regards, Ad

^No idea what you are talking about.

I listen to this cd every day and absolutely love it but I'm not sure why. There is something really solid about it. It's not the fastest record, nor the heaviest, nor the catchiest. None of the songs blow your mind. They are all really straight forward. But it's just dope. Dunno.

^^^ This is possibly why I'm enjoying this album from a purely aesthetic standout. Loving the mix overall, have made the effort to really listen to it a shitload the last few days seeing as there's a few guys on here foaming at the mouth from it. And it's definitely going to jump into the reference pile, and yet, not as a reference for the death metal stuff either haha.

Sadly though, I just can't get into the album itself, sounds completely uninspired and there's no AE flare that I'm used to hearing, nothing really new/ exciting or even catchy... It's my opinion entirely, but it's just boring overall to me..

But hey, we are talking mix here right... And it's a damn good mix overall, really tight and everything is really well separated. The guitar tones fits like a freaking glove and seems to give everything its space quite well, I'm really liking that it does that even if it's not necessarily the sort of tone I normally like etc.

in the new "Gitarre&Bass" Amott talks about the amps, pedals etc he used on the record.

among other interesting details he mentions that he used 2205s for solos (one of them heavily modded, Tom Scholz Rockman-Echo, split into two cabs...also A Boss Chorus Dimension C)

Found some cool sneap stuff on avid forum. Nothing new, but now I have it in black and white...

Sneap%20Arch%20Enemy%20Kick.JPG

sneap%20Drums%20Nevermore.JPG

HP at 600!

And i thought monster and fusion was used on DHIADW? And costum samples on Doomsday?

Just heard some tracks from the new album and these days Angela sounds really bad, filled with fx basically. Sounds like a really made-up sound (be it or not), the first album with her worked good, but since then it's been a really hard dive vocal-wise. Liiva was never my favorite when he was in the band, but I'm missing his vocals these days. It's not like Angela has a bad voice, but why on earth it sounds like filled with fx all the time, something that I'd only prefer on certain hit point of the songs. I'm not the only one with this opinion...

It's funny because last time I saw them live she was absolutely brutal! Really seemed alot better than last time I saw them at Download in '07. Maybe she struggles to get the same intensity in the studio?

Just heard some tracks from the new album and these days Angela sounds really bad, filled with fx basically. Sounds like a really made-up sound (be it or not), the first album with her worked good, but since then it's been a really hard dive vocal-wise. Liiva was never my favorite when he was in the band, but I'm missing his vocals these days. It's not like Angela has a bad voice, but why on earth it sounds like filled with fx all the time, something that I'd only prefer on certain hit point of the songs. I'm not the only one with this opinion...

Definitely! I mean, I love the stuff they put out with Liiva, and his vocals really grew on me...I actually like the original versions of the songs with Liiva rather than The Root of All Evil. Wages of Sin was pretty solid, but later on, you could tell that it's being a bit more processed...Khaos Legions, in terms of processed/fx vocals, really took it to another level though.

Doomsday Machine, imho Andy's best work to date.
It wasn't to clean, or to sterile as a mix.

Just thought this as I've been spinning this baby for a few weeks now, again!

I like Chimaira mix better. THe vocals sound like shit on doomsday. I think he could have done better work with them. Strange frequencies etc and the whole mix sounds a bit sharp/digital. But it sounds tits non the less :)

I like Chimaira mix better. THe vocals sound like shit on doomsday. I think he could have done better work with them. Strange frequencies etc and the whole mix sounds a bit sharp/digital. But it sounds tits non the less :)

I think you must be thinking of a different Doomsday Machine than the one we are. We are talking about Arch Enemy's record, the one Andy Sneap mixed. You're clearly thinking of something else, must have been confused.

I think you must be thinking of a different Doomsday Machine than the one we are. We are talking about Arch Enemy's record, the one Andy Sneap mixed. You're clearly thinking of something else, must have been confused.

I believe he's not... I share the same opinion about the vocals... to me they sound obviously over-distorted ...people usually do that when they what to hide bad voice color... It's not this case, so I see no reason why that much... maybe to give it industrial feel... seems like people think about it in two different ways...

I'm spinning DM right now myself. I'm in total love with this album. Vocals, guitar tone, the whole atmosphere. It does have a vaguely industrial vibe to it, but that goes with the title.

And for some reason the machine noises between Nemesis and My Apocalypse always sounded vaguely sexual to me... Like Angela getting banged by a mech or something :lol: Anyone else get that? Or was that just me being a horny teenager back in 2005?