Arch Enemy

I finally saw Arch Enemy live in november at the Arnhem metal Meeting festival and I was very impressed by their energetic performance. I allready had 8 CDs but really wanted to see them live. I quite enjoy their music but I can go for months without listening to their stuff.

All of the Johan Liiva stuff is great and I actually like the first Angela album quite a lot too. After that they became a snoozefest for some reason though. Anthems of Rebellion and Doomsday Machine pretty much lack all of the elements that made Wages of Sin still fun to listen to. They aren't nearly as fast and ferocious, boring lead work, bland riffing, and over-processed vocals. They just sound like a heavily watered down version of the band they used to be.

A Carcass reunion would be awesome though. I read an interview with Jeff Walker a while ago where he said he'd do it if Bill was up for it. He's apparently been the main factor in holding back a reunion from actually happening. Though it would only be a touring reunion, he ruled out every recording any more Carcass albums (which I suppose is probably for the best).

All of the Johan Liiva stuff is great and I actually like the first Angela album quite a lot too. After that they became a snoozefest for some reason though. Anthems of Rebellion and Doomsday Machine pretty much lack all of the elements that made Wages of Sin still fun to listen to. They aren't nearly as fast and ferocious, boring lead work, bland riffing, and over-processed vocals. They just sound like a heavily watered down version of the band they used to be.

*nod* I agree. They actually played many songs much faster on the live gig though. I enjoyed that. And it was nice to hear so many solos (even a drum solo). They're still skillful musicians.

I think Wages was their best album followed very closely by Burning bridges but I know what you mean about Doomsday and Anthems, they sound really watered down compared to their earlier stuff. I really don't think Angela made fuck all diference to the overall songwriting either, they would have taken that direction anyway. I mean there still is some pretty classic AE songs on Wages of sin.

I think Wages was their best album followed very closely by Burning bridges but I know what you mean about Doomsday and Anthems, they sound really watered down compared to their earlier stuff. I really don't think Angela made fuck all diference to the overall songwriting either, they would have taken that direction anyway. I mean there still is some pretty classic AE songs on Wages of sin.

the "watered down" songwriting didnt truly begin until after wages...considering the album was written before Angela had joined. however you could see they were getting a bit sloppy and careless from time to time on wages.

I've always found them a little average. I think the pre-Angela material is a bit more refreshing and interesting, but ever since it's been a solid downward slide into faceless mediocrity.

Having said that, Doomsday Machine is one of my most played albums due to the production job Andy Sneap did on it. I've listened to the album that I virtually know how it should sound off by heart, and I use it to tune PA systems in venues etc. with. Great production, but the material is not very awe inspiring.