Arcturus

Maybe I'm just really messed up, but does anyone else notice the reflection of Arcturus's attitude with their fans on this one:

And skeletons dance
they have no voice
and no complaint

But I am still flesh
and will not serve
you vampire fools
bringing you life
by invoking dead

Arcturus - Ad Absurdum

I dunno, I'm probably crazy.

Originally posted by samoniac
I love Aspera Hiems Symphonia.
I adore La Masquerade Infernale.
I worship The Sham Mirrors.
I love Aspera Hiems Symfonia
The magic of La Masquerade Infernale seems to keep missing its grip on me... Is it me?
I love The Sham Mirrors!

The re-mix thing doesn't really raise my interest, but is Disguised Masters any good?!

I love Garm's voice, that part in "Nightmare Heaven" where he's going: "Nothing has a history or a naaaaaaaaaaaaaame woow!" Yeah! Great part, or "Foooooor To End Yeeeeeet Again", wow too.

His work on Borknagar's "The Olden Domain" is excellent, on their debut also...

Originally posted by MadTinus
The magic of La Masquerade Infernale seems to keep missing its grip on me... Is it me?

Yes, sorry to say it, but it's you :D :D :D

Originally posted by MadTinus The re-mix thing doesn't really raise my interest, but is Disguised Masters any good?

Yes, it's very good but only if you realize what you're going to listen to. The remixes don't have many similarities to the original songs and they are exclusively electronic. Still, it's a very interesting album.

@NovemberFrost: I tend to agree with you because in this song Garm's lyrics seem to deal with the situation in the band (remember the first verse?), so a "message" to the fans would be normal. But, I believe that the lyrics in this album must be the strangest he ever wrote.

for some reason La masquerade is almost my favorite (conceptually)...only Garm and co. could come up with an opus a la the faustian plite...it has such variety on the album....

even Disguised masters is a treasure. I love when bands pervert the purity of their own stuff and are not afraid to experiment.

Aspera hiems simfonia is probably one of my favorite "black Metal" albums of all time.

they are all exceptional albums in their own right.

but seriously folks...do pick up Winds if you like arcturus...

you will not be disappointed...it's a very deep and emotive personal album (the minds I)

Protocol's Arcturus discography:

My Angel 7'' 1991 1100 copies (another 2-7 hundred bootlegs on red vinyl 1997?)
Rather drab except for the real funky 1½ last minutes of Morax.

Constellation promo-cd 1994 500 copies (plus 500 vinyl bootlegs)
Early versions of four of the tracks from Aspera Hiems Symfonia, all of which are better on AHS. Recorded without bass as I recall.

Reconstellation bootleg 199?
Includes Constellation and My Angel and two tracks called Morax Anno 1996 ev. and Outro (Radiant Star Befallen). I don't know what those are supposed to be, but this is a nice easy way to get hold of the first two releases if you want to hear them.

Aspera Hiems Symfonia cd 1994 (digipack only?)
Very nice indeed. I'd buy this cd if I could find a non-digipack release. Gotta hate those bloody digipacks.

La Masquerade Infernale cd 1997
Thoroughly brilliant. Their best. Go get it.

Masters of Disguise cd 1999 (intro + new track + remixes)
Very mixed release. Some tracks are brilliant and others I can't stand. Recommended!

The Sham Mirrors cd 2002
Some rather catchy tunes but I can't stand half the vocals. Too much cheese.

Aspera Hiems Symfonia + Constellation + My Angel dcd 2002 (remastered)
The remastering is rather uneven - it reveals previously hidden parts in the mix, some of which is good but it also brings defects to the front. Some tracks are cut short at the end (just a fraction of a second but still annoying) and some vocals have been re-recorded. I particularly dislike the sham-mirrorish cheese howl in Raudt og Svart.
On the whole I'd rather play the originals with some equalizing magic than the remastered ones.

The two session leftovers extra tracks are rather worthless. Constellation might be remastered but I don't think My Angel is, not that I see any point in remastering Constellation. If you don't mind digipack you're better off getting the AHS original and the Reconstellation bootleg.

Oh! Almost forgot Winds. I like the piano bits a lot and the drumming I guess is ok. The guitar solos all sound pretty much the same though and seem to play the exact same role in every track (at least on the mcd). And the vocals are bloody awful. They're slick and greasy and the english is horrible - too soft Rs.

does anyone know where i can find the lyrics for "aspera hymn symfonia"? and possibly even translations for some of them? from what i've understood of the lyrics they sound good and i want to hear the rest.

Leaps around excited for Lakestream discovering Arcturus :D hmm...and to think I attacked hearse for his polls :lol:

They're all good, dammit !:(
The standout ones may be:

From Aspera Hiems Symhonia -

1.Fall Of Man (Best track on album IMO)
2. Raudt Og Svart
3. Du Nordavind

From La Masquerade Infernal -

1. Ad Astra (Best track on album IMO)
2. The Chaos Path
3. Alone
4. Painting My Horror

From The Sham Mirrors -

1. Star-Crossed (Best track on album IMO)
2. Nightmare Heaven
3. For To End Yet Again

Enjoy :)

Another good choice would be to download all the songs, listen to them and then buy the albums. I really thinks that all three albums should be heard as a whole, Arcturus isn't a band of a couple of songs (that's especially true for LMI).

Basically I ask is because I heard the song "Deception Genesis" and it didn't really hit me on first listen (mostly got turned off by the repetition at the end...). It seemed interesting, and I noticed the Winds connection... Some bands are harder to get into because they are album oriented, and I figured Arcturus could be one of them. But it did seem interesting, and that's why I thought I should explore it further. Now if only I had a good place to download... :(

Originally posted by TheLedTool
Basically I ask is because I heard the song "Deception Genesis" and it didn't really hit me on first listen (mostly got turned off by the repetition at the end...). It seemed interesting, and I noticed the Winds connection... Some bands are harder to get into because they are album oriented, and I figured Arcturus could be one of them. But it did seem interesting, and that's why I thought I should explore it further. Now if only I had a good place to download... :(

The 'Disguised Masters' album (which has Deception Genesis on it) is a remix album, therefore not the source that should be used to decided whether the band is good or not....the album is still great, but you should judge via AHS, LMI and TSM albums first ;)

Originally posted by Ethereal Sage

The 'Disguised Masters' album (which has Deception Genesis on it) is a remix album, therefore not the source that should be used to decided whether the band is good or not....the album is still great, but you should judge via AHS, LMI and TSM albums first ;)

Ah! That makes sense... I thought it was... interesting. ;) I'm liking it more on the repeated listenings, actually. I'm just dying without Audiogalaxy... :( I think I'm going to end up with a love affair with www.theendrecords.com and just have to buy a lot of CDs there. :lol: