Are there any "cheasy" Symphony X songs?

HellFire

Hawkwind
Aug 12, 2003
England
I remember on the Dream Theater forum there was a huge thread discussing if Symphony X is "cheesy" (cant seem to find that thread again though).

Personaly i dont find any Symphony X songs "cheesy", then again, i dont find Rhapsody all that "cheesy", only a few bits in Rhapsody ill cringe at.

Am i missing something?

What songs/parts if any, do you find cheesy?

HellFire said:
IPersonaly i dont find any Symphony X songs "cheesy", then again, i dont find Rhapsody all that "cheesy", only a few bits in Rhapsody ill cringe at.

Am i missing something?

What songs/parts if any, do you find cheesy?
You mean you didn't cringe when you heard "Shades of Grey"??? ;)

Shades of Grey! :lol:
There are others that sound cheesy on the s/t just cuz of Rod's style, but even Russel can't take the cheese away from Shades of Grey.

Savage Curtain (not really a cheesy song but the chorus is definitely cheesy)

That's about it from me...that's really pretty good, considering 6 studio albums.

bwahaha @ Shades of Gray. I hate that song more because of Rod's incapability of singing it than its cheesiness, but anyway...to be honest, I never really thought of SymX as being cheesy, but now that I think more, Accolade definitely comes to mind. To me, cheesy does not mean bad. In fact I love cheesy power metal stuff like Rhapsody and Dragonforce. So wait...do I see a theme here? Do knights, dragons, blah blah automatically determine cheese level? :confused:

LOL accolade 2 is abit cheesy
"I wish to stay...to be here with you
You were my strength...How can I go on? "
that's i think the cheesisest line like ever
anyone overall i dont think symphony x is cheesy
and surely not close to raphsody and such...

I think cheese is a combination of bad lyrics, way over the top delivery (usually vocal delivery) and bad band imagery. Not all of these have to be in even ratio of course. Overall i guess cheese is in the mouth of the beholder.

Taliwakker said:
I think cheese is a combination of bad lyrics, way over the top delivery (usually vocal delivery) and bad band imagery. Not all of these have to be in even ratio of course. Overall i guess cheese is in the mouth of the beholder.

Well, what is bad to you is good to someone else.

Someone saying something is cheesy just translates to "I Don't like it."

oh yes i find syx cheesy in many many songs.. pharaoh, accolade, king of terrors, masquerade (even the '98 version) and most of the first two albums (all of the first)... but not as bad as other bands. Alot of The Odyssey album is pretty cheesy too. In this case though, I dont mind at all.

Good point SR, the definition of cheese is really important. For me, it's if I can see an 80's hair band or some wannabee rockstars playing/singing it. (not necessarily being able to play the parts technically) And I could definitely see a cheesy video for shades of grey. Romeo would be on a mountain top making orgasmic faces during the solo, hair blowing in the wind, and Rod would be standing on top of a car in an alley way with spandex on.
Now with that in mind, I could definitely see the Cheese image for Accolade 2. Russel suited up like he was back at Medieval Times. Pinella could be like this evil sorcerer guy. Rullo's the elf, Romeo's the King. LePond is Robert the Bruce.

SilentRealm said:
oh yes i find syx cheesy in many many songs.. pharaoh, accolade, king of terrors, masquerade (even the '98 version) and most of the first two albums (all of the first)... but not as bad as other bands. Alot of The Odyssey album is pretty cheesy too. In this case though, I dont mind at all.

Oh yeah, I forgot Pharoah!

Gods of the nile rise to strike you down! :headbang: