Worst Symphony X songs?

The Apparition

Porpoise McSalamander
Dec 22, 2004
Sydney
I know this has probably been done before but i'd like to know what Symphony X songs people don't get into.

Here's my picks, i don't particularly hate any of these songs, but they are definitely my least favourite.

Shades of Grey(mostly Tylers fault there,the songs not that bad)
Secrets
Savage Curtain
The Relic

Call me idiot but Rediscovery Part II is for me the worst song because it is an obvious rip off of Kansas´s "Song from America". You can listen to the file here:

http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?~a-600111/0696590_0107_00_0002.ra

B0002CHK54.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002CHK54.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Savage Curtain??? Why god why? It's a brilliant track.
Besiege me not for what I am: a man with intent in the Devil's den.
For I know not what to believe, yet mad I am not. In trust I deceive.
Radical alterations, in my temper grows worse day by day
I will offer you extreme opposition.
Lyrically one of my favourite SymX songs \m/

My least favourite ones would be stuff off S/T just because of the vocals, but I don't dislike them.

As for the rip-off thing, I don't think that's true. And even if there is a resemblance I don't think that's a bad thing either. I enjoy Rediscovery 2, and I enjoyed all the tracks people said DT ripped off other bands on 8vm. I think it's really narrow minded to say you don't enjoy something purely on the basis that it sounds like something else.

Luis said:
Call me idiot but Rediscovery Part II is for me the worst song because it is an obvious rip off of Kansas´s "Song from America". You can listen to the file here:

http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?~a-600111/0696590_0107_00_0002.rahttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B0002CHK54001002/1/104-9540334-1011939
I'm sorry but that really doesn't sound very similar at all. I accept Symphony X are influenced by Kansas, but to call Rediscovery part 2 a rip off of Song from America is a fallacy.

Yea, the first chorus of Rediscovery Part II sounds a lot like Song for America chorus.
But it definately doesn't make it my worst SymX song. I would say that these are some of the SymX songs that I don't bother to listen that much:
I'll pick one from every album if possible

S/T: Don't have it
DG: Savage Curtain
TDWOT: Witching Hour
TIO: Sonata
V: Absence of Light
TO: The Turning

Luis said:

Who needs Kansas when one can listen to Syphony X ;)

But seriously:

Songs I dislike: 'Sonata' off TiO.

All the other Songs are very much enjoyable.

I can't say I skip over any SymX songs. I've skipped to songs, but not with the intent of skipping over songs. I just wanted to hear a particular song at the moment.

Though I have the self-titled release, I haven't listened to it much lately. I'd better go see about Shades of Grey.

Savage Curtain is awesome, especially the solo.

I don't think there is a single SyX song that I don't like, although some of the stuff on the S/T album doesn't appeal to me. More really that a cool song has a weak chorus (i.e. Absinth & Rue, Shades of Grey). I'm not big on 'Secrets" either. Just a bland song, although it does have a cool guitar solo.

mask_x said:
Who needs Kansas when one can listen to Syphony X ;)

But seriously:

Songs I dislike: 'Sonata' off TiO.

All the other Songs are very much enjoyable.

How how how can you hate sonata! That's Beethoven at his finest. That piece is better than Moolight Sonata in my book, the changes are just so good and so interesting.

Yes Rediscovery pt II has a MEGA rip of the Song for America chorus. It's the progression, rhythm, vocal melody, basically everything but the lyrics. Other than that little kink, however, that song is amazing.

I've always kinda felt that The Witching Hour is sub standard and obvious in its construction. Also I think Lady of the Snow is too long for being so slowly paced and repetitive, I have to be in the right mood for that one. Other than that I don't really skip any SX tracks

I'm a little horrified at some of these songs being listed here, many of them are among my absolute favourites. Lady of the Snow in particular is one of their greatest works. As for myself, I consider SymX to be that once in a lifetime band that actually doesn't write any bad songs, at all, ever (I know, I'm a sychophant).

As for Rediscovery Part II: as a longtime and dedicated fan of both Kansas and Symphony X, I really can't see how this is considered a ripoff. Yeah, they sound similar, but at the least I would call this an influence, and at the most I would call it a paraphrase. Rediscovery happens to be my favourite track on my favourite album, and the allusions to Kansas are definetly a part of what makes it great.

Hmmmm..... The Relic, Lady of the Snow..... uh, thats really about it... even Shades of Grey I like listening to because Rod's singing picks me up when I'm feeling down hehehe

"If I could turn back hends of time...."

I'll have to add that a good way to start liking one song more is to learn and play with it(that's if you play an instrument or sing). For example Witching Hour is a lot of fun to play on bass and you start to appreciate the song more. So try it, heh