Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

N-MAYH said:
way 2 spam.. fatass...
What the hell; that was absolutely uncalled for.

Yeah whatever, here's my opinion: Deadwing is an awesome album and that song is great. Mike's solo in it is also great.

blimey said:
Dude fuck off! The whole drink thing started with me and Vampyrouss. No... take it away :erk:
Hey I was part of that too! Me and Vampyrouss are the only two left with a drink in our sigs, too. :mad:

- Is that spamming ya goose?

Haha. Deadwing pwns hardcore. My favorite PT album. Tied with Ghost Reveries for best album of 2005 in my books.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
What the hell; that was absolutely uncalled for.

Yeah whatever, here's my opinion: Deadwing is an awesome album and that song is great. Mike's solo in it is also great.

Hey I was part of that too! Me and Vampyrouss are the only two left with a drink in our sigs, too. :mad:

- Is that spamming ya goose?
no, but you did hurt my feelings by calling me a goose. and yes i agree with what you say about Deadwing, IMO its teh best PT album, and no not only because of mikes appearance:p

blimey said:
The style. It's all about the style. The first section of that heavy riff would superbly fit with someone growling.

....don't think so...sure it may be heavy by their standards, but the only element it would share with death metal would be that it was heavy, in which case it could be labeled a lot of things. And since he doesn't growl = not death metal. Pantera had heavy riffs too, did they have elements of death metal?

No man. Not just the heaviness. I mean this is very subjective. I've come to the point where I know you're just trying to argue senselessly and you have no valid point so I'll just leave it alone now.

The Evil Toucan said:
....don't think so...sure it may be heavy by their standards, but the only element it would share with death metal would be that it was heavy, in which case it could be labeled a lot of things. And since he doesn't growl = not death metal. Pantera had heavy riffs too, did they have elements of death metal?
Dude... just because someone does not growl does NOT make a song/band Death Metal. its all about the music and the way it is used, wether its fast, heavy riffs and weird solos with some shredding involved, or slower, more complex riffs. anyways, my point is, growling is not a major involvment in death metal, even though it helps.

blimey said:
No man. Not just the heaviness. I mean this is very subjective. I've come to the point where I know you're just trying to argue senselessly and you have no valid point so I'll just leave it alone now.

Call it whatever you like dude, I know what the fuck I'm talking about. You obviously have a different definition of death metal than me.

The Evil Toucan said:
Call it whatever you like dude, I know what the fuck I'm talking about. You obviously have a different definition of death metal than me.
are you implying that we are amateur music listening people who know nothing of what we speak, even though we all tend to have valid arguments(though pointless) against each others opinions + arguments?

N-MAYH said:
Dude... just because someone does not growl does NOT make a song/band Death Metal.

What I think you meant to say was that just because they don't growl, doesn't mean they aren't death metal.

Elements of death metal:

1) Heavily distorted guitars, a lot of the times downtuned
2) Fast riffs, not necessarily always but if they are slower they are HEAVY ie Grave
3) Fast drums/blastbeats, again for a large part
4) Lyrics that deal largely with killing, gore, satan, etc.

Of course there are exceptions, but most people who actually have listened to death metal would probably agree with the above. What of those does Porcupine Tree have?

The Evil Toucan said:
What I think you meant to say was that just because they don't growl, doesn't mean they aren't death metal.

Elements of death metal:

1) Heavily distorted guitars, a lot of the times downtuned
2) Fast riffs, not necessarily always but if they are slower they are HEAVY ie Grave
3) Fast drums/blastbeats, again for a large part
4) Lyrics that deal largely with killing, gore, satan, etc.

Of course there are exceptions, but most people who actually have listened to death metal would probably agree with the above. What of those does Porcupine Tree have?
i never said Porcupine Tree was death metal, i agreed that the riff in Arriving Somewhere But Not Here was, due to it is downtuned, heavy, faster drum part. so to answer your question, elements 1 2 and 3, and during the riff, there is no singing

N-MAYH said:
are you implying that we are amateur music listening people who know nothing of what we speak, even though we all tend to have valid arguments(though pointless) against each others opinions + arguments?

No, I wasn't implying anything.

I just fail to see how anyone could agree that they have death metal elements in their music.

Ok: PT isn't death metal in any way. What I think everybody means is that Steven Wilson has put his more recent exposure to the genre to his advantages, and incorporated elements of it to the extent that it would suit his music. In this, I don't think he has made Porcupine Tree resemble death metal. But the sensibilities of progressive death metal (eg - Opeth), are there plain as day.

Do I make sense?

N-MAYH said:
i never said Porcupine Tree was death metal, i agreed that the riff in Arriving Somewhere But Not Here was, due to it is downtuned, heavy, faster drum part. so to answer your question, elements 1 2 and 3, and during the riff, there is no singing

:erk:

They use Bad Cat amps. Those aren't high gain metal amps. They sound fucking aweosme, but it ain't hardly the 5150 or a Recto. Their guitar sound is nothing close to death metal.

The drumming, while it's faster than a lot of other stuff, is not like death metal.

The riff......it just can't be considered to be 'death metal'. You couldn't drop it in a Bloodbath song and it sound right. Unless you dropped it to B and turned up the gain.

Liquid Diamonds said:
Ok: PT isn't death metal in any way. What I think everybody means is that Steven Wilson has put his more recent exposure to the genre to his advantages, and incorporated elements of it to the extent that it would suit his music. In this, I don't think he has made Porcupine Tree resemble death metal. But the sensibilities of progressive death metal (eg - Opeth), are there plain as day.

Do I make sense?

Thank you, someone else with some sense.

Just because a PT riff sounds like it could be in an Opeth song, and Opeth has elements of death metal sometimes, does not mean that PT does.

Actually, if I hear anything in the new PT record, it's Dream Theater ('Deadwing', 'Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here').

I think they're changing from an all-out prog-rock band to more of a prog-metal band.

But I see what everyone means with the death-metal thing. I just think it's a little stretched. :)

Liquid Diamonds said:
Actually, if I hear anything in the new PT record, it's Dream Theater ('Deadwing', 'Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here').

Arrrg!! That's terribly insulting..... do you want every PT fan to cry? :ill:

The Evil Toucan said:
:erk:

They use Bad Cat amps. Those aren't high gain metal amps. They sound fucking aweosme, but it ain't hardly the 5150 or a Recto. Their guitar sound is nothing close to death metal.
What the flying fuck do amps have to do with death metal? you can have any type of amp and still be death metal, be it laney, "recto" marshall wtv, any amp works fine if you know how to use it

I think I'm going to laugh.......................wait..............wait for it!!!........................................................................ALMOST THERE!!!!!.............................................!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: LOLOLOLOLOL LMAO ROFLMMFAO!!!!!

Porcupine Tree isn't death metal.

- not at all

amaranth said:
Arrrg!! That's terribly insulting..... do you want every PT fan to cry? :ill:

No. I like Dream Theater, I think they get a bad rap. 'Train Of Thought' is a really excellent album IMHO, and I think there are similarities between some of that and Deadwing.

Deadwing is better, obviously :)