Asshats Versus the Heir Apparent

Only the song "Porcelain heart" is in drop-D tuning. The rest are standard tuning. Glad most of you seem to like the song. Howeever, I can't say the rest of them sounds like this one. I think they're all very different from eachother so it's going to be a love/hate record I guess....well, like all of our Lp's I suppose.

Cheers
Mike

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7063345 said:
Only the song "Porcelain heart" is in drop-D tuning. The rest are standard tuning. Glad most of you seem to like the song. Howeever, I can't say the rest of them sounds like this one. I think they're all very different from eachother so it's going to be a love/hate record I guess....well, like all of our Lp's I suppose.

Cheers
Mike

Awesome!

All good records have that result. If everyone liked it then you'd be writing songs for Britney Spears .....thank fuck this is not the case.

I am forever in awe of your musical genius. Keep up the good work Opeth

Cheers
Mike

No way man, its gonna be all LOVE!

Ive always preferred albums which have a variety of songs.

Cheers
Mike

Yeah same for me its probably going to be a Love record... I mean different sounding songs are what makes a record great.

Why are people so offended by differing opinions, if they're justified? I'm not that big a fan of the song judging from the video bootleg; but it's grown on me already, and perhaps after hearing the studio recording it'll grow on me more.

imo u cant "justify" any opinions on this song until u hear the real deal, ok so youve got an idea what it sounds like, but I can imagine the studio version sounding a whole lot different. Keep in mind its the first time they ever played it live.

lolz i dint like hair apparent at all b/cuz it sounded like shit lol i dont know what they thinkin puttin such shitty music out lol opeth may as well have died afte rthey released still life lol everting else has suckd

So they are doin shit since a long time ago, but you´re still here at this forum? SL was 9 years ago :p Well, it´s an opinion! Cheers

Cheers
Mike

The more people like them, the more people will hate them. It happened with the beatles, pink floyd, led zeppelin, metallica, etc...now it´s happening with Opeth :) That´s life. So keep rockin

There's a huge difference in what is playable, the lowest note matters less than the relations between the strings in determining the sound of a song. For example, it just isn't feasible to play some of the riffs from ghost reveries in a drop D or standard D tuning, because of the notes in the arpeggios they let ring out. To play the same thing in D standard would be extremely difficult to finger and wouldn't ring, and they probably never would have come up with the note sequence if they had been playing in a tuning that wasn't encouraging of those particular arpeggios. Even simple Drop D has similar issues, like it's absolutely not possible to play Demon of the Fall or Blackwater Park smoothly in a guitar that's in D-standard tuning, if you played guitar yourself you'd understand but it's hard to explain.

I do play guitar. I have never played, nor wanted to play, anything in dropped D.

no no..the riffs are ----"run on sentence" (period :erk:) that fadish word is as annoying as a fat chick with spandex... and a tube top :erk:
The song definately sounds forced at best...maybe it's the technicality arrangement or maybe it's the newness of the new line-up dipping their toes in the water. I don't know! but I like the song but "something something .....just ain't right"-Keith Sweat "Make it last forever," 1987

the riffs alone on heir apparent are fucking PERIOD. i dont think the glass slide "solo" is supposed to impress you... did the the drapery falls slide solo impress you? no, it just established a feeling.

^Just because you don't have the musical ability to write or play anything in Drop-D doesn't mean it isn't a respectable guitar tuning.
That is the vibe I am getting from hibernal dream's post.. lol

I do play guitar. I have never played, nor wanted to play, anything in dropped D.

Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Dream Theater, and Tool all use/have used drop D in songs before. But I guess because you're so much of a guitar elitist, you think that anything that uses a drop tuning rather than straight down-tuning is not good. Sorry, please try again.