At the heart of winter vs. Sons of northern darkness

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I listened to these two again recently back to back. Quick summary: "...winter" isn't as good as I remembered it, and "sons...." is better than I remembered.

Winter = 8/10
Sons = 8.5/10

Immortal live were excellent playing this material.

Also, what the heck is on the front cover of "...winter"?

0000538070.jpg

At the Heart of Winter probably. I haven't listened to either for awhile but last time I tried to listen to SoND I remember it being not so hot.

ATHOW is simply on another plane of existence. Sons... has some killer songs (Far Beyond the North Waves in particular), but ATHOW is just so consistently good in that all out black thrashing way. Solarfall is a masterpiece.

Every so often, you folks get on an Immortal kick and force me to revisit their catalog. The result is always the same; they do nothing for me. But because I'm a creature of habit and because it's my life's ambition to be both tr00 and kvlt, I'll probably queue one of these two CDs up at some point in the next few days.

Zod

General Zod said:
Every so often, you folks get on an Immortal kick and force me to revisit their catalog. The result is always the same; they do nothing for me. But because I'm a creature of habit and because it's my life's ambition to be both tr00 and kvlt, I'll probably queue one of these two CDs up at some point in the next few days.

LOL

Jason

Well, neither of these two cds are neither tr00 nor kvlt, but good luck with that! :D

"At the Heart of Winter" are perhaps my favorite, but certain tracks on "Sons" rate just as high as anything on "Heart". The ones I'm thinking of are:

In My Kingdom Cold
Sons of Northern Darkness
Within the Dark Mind

Immortal rules so much...

Crimson Velvet said:
Well, neither of these two cds are neither tr00 nor kvlt, but good luck with that! :D

"At the Heart of Winter" are perhaps my favorite, but certain tracks on "Sons" rate just as high as anything on "Heart". The ones I'm thinking of are:

In My Kingdom Cold
Sons of Northern Darkness
Within the Dark Mind

Immortal rules so much...

In My Kingdom Cold definitely rocks out.

I think it sounds totally uninspired and lifeless. There's no emotions or feelings to be found, and too many songs use that standard, mid-tempo DULL beat. I like "Damned In Black", because there actually are some interesting riffs to be found in that album, but the only kickass track on "Sons" is the title track, imo.

"Pure Holocaust" is their finest work, though :kickass:

At the Heart of Winter by a hair imo.

for me they're both 8.5/10 (and 8.45/10) material. Depending upon my mood... they sometimes hit 9.5/10

Henrik Main said:
I think it sounds totally uninspired and lifeless. There's no emotions or feelings to be found, and too many songs use that standard, mid-tempo DULL beat. I like "Damned In Black", because there actually are some interesting riffs to be found in that album, but the only kickass track on "Sons" is the title track, imo.

"Pure Holocaust" is their finest work, though :kickass:
why do people always look for emotions and feelings in metal? Listen to simple plan instead for fuck's sake! You'll have plenty of gay feelings