attn: people who use programmed drums (aka: check out MY band)

Kevin Kitchel

Junior Muppet
Apr 14, 2002
Lansing, MI
www.somber.net
Well, since its "get your band reviewed by the Opeth forum" day/week/month, I thought I would put some of my stuff up to the test. I also use programmed drums, and try to make them sound as real as possible (in most cases). Its not really in the style of Opeth (although my OLD band Somber had a big influence, and we did play with Opeth once in Detroit). Its a little heavier, I guess. We have some prog songs (we actually make all kinds of music, from pop to country to grind, usually in the same song) but they are a little long to make people download.

So, for the downloading...demos of our upcoming mini-cd:

http://www.somber.net/phiissik/mp3/lobsters.mp3

http://www.somber.net/phiissik/mp3/man_from_two_worlds.mp3

Hit it!

Those drums are programmed??? They sound damn good!!! I WANT YOUR DRUM SAMPLES!!!!!!!! (please?? hehe) The drums dont sound so convincing at around 1:15 of "Man from two worlds" , just the snare sound really, but the rest sounds very good. If you could at least give me some details of what you used to program your drums, and how big the sample set is (i only have 8 different wav samples total - snare,bdrum,3toms,cymbal,ride,open/closed hihar - it seems like you are able to get a few different snare sounds and cymbal sounds and such?)

The songs are pretty damn cool, well constructed and obviously well played, many influences it seems and it sounds like this is only the tip of the iceberg so thats a very good thing. Both songs are recorded and mixed very professionally, i have proffessionally released CDs that sound much worse than this. Vocals are awesome, good to see some quality clean vocals rather than just death vocals. Was this stuff done in a studio or is it home recording?

Im only recently (past 5 months) been getting into this more extreme side of metal so im not the best guy to compare you to other similar bands, but you guys are damn good. Very good.

:)

Well YaYoGakk, thanks for the compliments! I can rock you the samples maybe. I'll try to get you two different snares too. I use an Emu Proteus 2000, but I bet I could just record the samples from the unit.

:) :)
That would be very cool if you could do that!! Id be eternally thankful, i record a few different styles of music and the current kit sound i have just doesnt cut it for the more extreme stuff.