Australian Black Metal

Thor Kjaer-Olsen

Beyond Redemtion
Nov 21, 2002
Australia, for now...
I was just wondering if any Aussies listen to Black Metal, scandinavian or australian black metal. Cause i have noticed here in brisbane there is no BM scene at all.

p.s. Dimmu and Cradle of Filth aren't black metal

It's all about Nazxul. The rest of it doesn't interest me at all.

Whatever happened to Lord Kaos?? Australia needs a new cheesy symphonic Dimmi Burger style band, and all the black metal bands seem focused on this black/thrash crap.

Well, Astennu from Lord Kaos went to Europe and released what would have been the last Lord Kaos album as Carpe Tenebrum. Then he joined Dimmu Borgir and made them sound like they do now.

After he left the lineup changed almost bi-monthly. At one point they had half of Psychrist in the band.

Then they broke up and never released the second album that they had written.

Dark Inspirations said:
Check out Arkheth amazing:OMG: "Hymns of a Howling Wind" release you won't get better for Aussie BM in the Norsk Vein. Don't think their from Brizzy but?
www.arkheth.cjb.net
Will do, yeah the main problem with Aussie Black Metal is that they are never promoted. So the only way i hear of any is by this kind of thing or my friends telling me.

Veil of Anguish is a good Black Metal band from down my way... Although, i think they have deserted and a couple of guys play for Befallen

Thor Kjaer-Olsen said:
I was just wondering if any Aussies listen to Black Metal, scandinavian or australian black metal. Cause i have noticed here in brisbane there is no BM scene at all.

p.s. Dimmu and Cradle of Filth aren't black metal

Hailx Thor,
I perform vocals for Brisbane Black Metal band Astriaal. We will be playing our return show in support of Deeds of Flesh [U.S] on Thursday, July Ist at The Indie Temple in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane. The bill will be...

Excruciate [Brutal Death Metal]
Miscreation [Technical Death Metal]
Astriaal [Misanthropic Black Metal]
Deeds of Flesh - U.S [Brutal Death Metal]

This will be an awesome show, a great place to check out some brutal local and international extreme music. I suppose you could describe our sound similar to Dissection and Borknagar but much faster in sections.

Arzarkhel

www.astriaal.com
www.blacktalonmedia.cjb.net

Koich said:
Well, Astennu from Lord Kaos went to Europe and released what would have been the last Lord Kaos album as Carpe Tenebrum. Then he joined Dimmu Borgir and made them sound like they do now.

After he left the lineup changed almost bi-monthly. At one point they had half of Psychrist in the band.

Then they broke up and never released the second album that they had written.
Get out... get out of my head!

Seriously, that sounds like something I would have written. :)

Goreripper said:
Yes I think they are.

No, Arkheth are from Orange, regional N.S.W.
A great BM band and being so young this band has a lot of potential and will be a strong force within the Australian BM underground in the future.

ASTRIAAL said:
Hailx Thor,
I perform vocals for Brisbane Black Metal band Astriaal. We will be playing our return show in support of Deeds of Flesh [U.S] on Thursday, July Ist at The Indie Temple in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane. The bill will be...

Excruciate [Brutal Death Metal]
Miscreation [Technical Death Metal]
Astriaal [Misanthropic Black Metal]
Deeds of Flesh - U.S [Brutal Death Metal]

This will be an awesome show, a great place to check out some brutal local and international extreme music. I suppose you could describe our sound similar to Dissection and Borknagar but much faster in sections.

Arzarkhel

www.astriaal.com
www.blacktalonmedia.cjb.net

Fucking cool, I'll be there. Could you keep me updated if there are any changes in venue or date?

aust bands i support:
The Black Death
KtK
Striborg
Nuclear Winter
Pestilential Shadows
Battalion
Nazxul
Vrag
Myrddraal
Misery's Omen
Ghastly
Zemial

Well, as much as I love and adore Astriaal, they're hardly what you'd call traditional black metal. Neither is Destroyer 666, Gospel of the Horns, and most of the 'others'. Notherealm is true black metal, and I'm sure there are other bands out there.

As far as traditional black metal goes, I think we as a nation need to face the fact that there isn't a large scene, unlike the Death/Grindcore/Metalcore scene. Which is a pity as far as I'm concerned.

That's true requiem, but the metal scene as a whole isn't a large scene. Metal for the Brain is the biggest metal gig of the year, and even that gets barely 2000 people. Deeds of Flesh is playing at Blood Lust in Sydney this year, and they'll be lucky to get more than a couple of hundred there. That said, those of us who are in the scene should support what we have.