Australian Black Metal

I think entertainment is the wrong word to use. Music is a very broad term, and perhaps more often in the mainstream, music is only intended as entertainment. But the actual music in some bands is intended as something that transcends typical entertainment like watching a film or whatever. Take a band like the Ozric Tentacles, they don't have lyrics to their music, or vocals, but it is still more (to me) than entertainment.
But as you say, I can acknowledge that some people listen to music for the ideologies etc. but if so, why not just read a book about the ideology? I have heard people say before that, it is this that distinguishes art and music(for entertainment). Burzum for example has a heavily NS view point underlying the work. Take away the NS influences, is it still art, and not merely entertainment? Most people can't understand the lyrics anyway since they are written in Norweigen.

Goreripper said:
The answer to both your questions is "Yes".

ok cool thanks... and can any one tell me who really cares if virgin black are christian? like this person said "the fact is virgin black make great music and to not listen to them because they're christian would be very narrow-minded" i mean even the lyrics are great! all you do is disregard the religious stuff that you dont believe in... "of your beauty" has great lyrics and i havent even heard that song yet and i think its good :worship: so... plus it doesnt have any religious meaning when you look at it romantically, which may add to the appeal of the song for me personally [considering the fact that im an atheist]

first you say you do understand blackmetal, then you say you only like astriaal because they have one album of good production and therefore all other black metal is shit because it has shit production? make up your mind. you do know that astriaal did wear corpse paint at metal for the brain a few years ago?

some other black metal bands that also have this "good production" that you think must be present to make a good album:
satyricon, shining, sirius, samael, emperor, akercocke, falkenbach, marduk, mayhem, naglfar, the ninth path, old man's child (plus the many more that i really couldn't be bothered looking up right now).

see, i know people that critisize black metal for one thing or another that are completely justified in their eyes: such as a few outspoken voices in the scene, or the relative obscurity of a lot of quality material. i have friends that really like extreme metal of other forms, and don't like black metal, yet they respect the fact it's my preffered type of music. it is retarded that you think that because i said you don't understand it, it's because you're critisizing it, when you really haven't got a fucking clue. you've heard one darkthrone song, couldn't see past the production, and labelled black metal as a one dimensional artform. i don't care if you don't like black metal, but we already know you're opinion, and as everyone knows: opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got them, and their all about as pretty and shitty as each other.

you're keep going on about how crap the black metal scene is (how would you know?), and then go on about how macho and tough you are because you'd like to think that black metal fans are scared of you. i know which side i'd rather be on. you sound like types of cocksuckers that turn up to metal gigs (any type of metal) and ruin it for everyone, because you're obsessed with looking tough in the hope of hiding your own homosexual urges you obviously aren't comfortable with. "the people are nice, and are like me" ... if they're anything like you, i doubt they're nice.

not all black metal has corpse paint, some of it does. not all black metal has "shit" production, but what type of metal has a consistant track record of extremely expensive and sterile sound? oh, sorry, i forgot you like linkin-park. not all black metal has political motivation, neither does it have to be deep-rooted in imagery. some of it is, and there's nothing wrong with music taking on a little bit more than just the music. it's called multimedia and has been a legitimate art form for quite a while now. you obviously like nasum, who obviously spend either or both a bit of time and money on there cd covers, and good on them for it, because they look great, so why can't black metal do the same thing in a different way? well, you'll say because black metal's imagery is shit, which is completely irrelevant because you don't like black metal. my brother think's nasum is shit, and i know why he does, because he doesn't like them. doesn't make him any less of a good bloke (and probably a lot better than you). my brother also doesn't like black metal, but that he doesn't come in and go on about how shit it is. it's called being a decent bloke. try it, people might not swear at you so much.

you're posts on black metal are irrelevant because you don't understand black metal, you obviously know nothing about the dimensions of black metal, have no understanding of dissonance, minimalism, ochestral structure & arrangement, alternative production values, aural atmospheres/period music, contemporary and classical composition techniques. that's why we're sick of your posts, you're like the fuckhead at gigs who calls out shit to bands when the rest of us just want to watch them and have a good time while you ruin the night. fuck you.

Gothic Butterfly said:
ok cool thanks... and can any one tell me who really cares if virgin black are christian? like this person said "the fact is virgin black make great music and to not listen to them because they're christian would be very narrow-minded" i mean even the lyrics are great! all you do is disregard the religious stuff that you dont believe in... "of your beauty" has great lyrics and i havent even heard that song yet and i think its good :worship: so... plus it doesnt have any religious meaning when you look at it romantically, which may add to the appeal of the song for me personally [considering the fact that im an atheist]
I've got no problems with Virgin Black's beliefs. Unlike other Christian bands like Tourniquet or Mortification who are really evangelistic and preachy, Virgin Black explore the spiritual side of Christianity. And their music is amazing.

@abaddon: I agree with you, but he won't answer, as you can see from his replys he has no valid responses and he will probably turn to calling you a fag in a minute. The shiteater isn't worth your effort.

Abaddon: who are you addressing?:confused:

'Cause if it's Koich, ya'll ain't been paying attention.
Koich knows far more 'bout metal (no matter the genre) than ya'll give him credit for and is not a pure "genreslut" like some of us can be.
But is also shows your ignorance of the whole thing, 'cause Koich just enjoys being a cunt and ripping the shit out of those around him.
As for what you said, it is both valid and whiny.
Get over the argument.
You say your brother is "decent bloke" 'cause he doesn't critise your music, well stop being so hypocriful and take a leaf out of his book!
In Australia, we all have a scene to support, not a genre to propergate. We all attend gigs of bands we may not favour, not to be scenewhores or to make fun of other metalheads, but because we shall a united passion of a music which has taken a lot of abuse from the mainstream and culture critics since its earliest inception way back in the 60's. Koich is not exception to this, he has attended gigs of bands he can't stand and has accepted it all, because he supports the scene and wishes to see Australian Metal flourish.
Can not the same be said of anyone else here?
So, in all points, we are all wrong and right in our matters and opinions but it is time we see narrow definitions of restricted musical subcultures and look at the Australian Metal Scene as a whole and see that it is good! No matter your defined or refined tastes!
Here ends the lesson!
Peace
The Pimp NeonBlack

abaddon said:
first you say you do understand blackmetal, then you say you only like astriaal because they have one album of good production and therefore all other black metal is shit because it has shit production? make up your mind. you do know that astriaal did wear corpse paint at metal for the brain a few years ago?

some other black metal bands that also have this "good production" that you think must be present to make a good album:
satyricon, shining, sirius, samael, emperor, akercocke, falkenbach, marduk, mayhem, naglfar, the ninth path, old man's child (plus the many more that i really couldn't be bothered looking up right now).

see, i know people that critisize black metal for one thing or another that are completely justified in their eyes: such as a few outspoken voices in the scene, or the relative obscurity of a lot of quality material. i have friends that really like extreme metal of other forms, and don't like black metal, yet they respect the fact it's my preffered type of music. it is retarded that you think that because i said you don't understand it, it's because you're critisizing it, when you really haven't got a fucking clue. you've heard one darkthrone song, couldn't see past the production, and labelled black metal as a one dimensional artform. i don't care if you don't like black metal, but we already know you're opinion, and as everyone knows: opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got them, and their all about as pretty and shitty as each other.

you're keep going on about how crap the black metal scene is (how would you know?), and then go on about how macho and tough you are because you'd like to think that black metal fans are scared of you. i know which side i'd rather be on. you sound like types of cocksuckers that turn up to metal gigs (any type of metal) and ruin it for everyone, because you're obsessed with looking tough in the hope of hiding your own homosexual urges you obviously aren't comfortable with. "the people are nice, and are like me" ... if they're anything like you, i doubt they're nice.

not all black metal has corpse paint, some of it does. not all black metal has "shit" production, but what type of metal has a consistant track record of extremely expensive and sterile sound? oh, sorry, i forgot you like linkin-park. not all black metal has political motivation, neither does it have to be deep-rooted in imagery. some of it is, and there's nothing wrong with music taking on a little bit more than just the music. it's called multimedia and has been a legitimate art form for quite a while now. you obviously like nasum, who obviously spend either or both a bit of time and money on there cd covers, and good on them for it, because they look great, so why can't black metal do the same thing in a different way? well, you'll say because black metal's imagery is shit, which is completely irrelevant because you don't like black metal. my brother think's nasum is shit, and i know why he does, because he doesn't like them. doesn't make him any less of a good bloke (and probably a lot better than you). my brother also doesn't like black metal, but that he doesn't come in and go on about how shit it is. it's called being a decent bloke. try it, people might not swear at you so much.

you're posts on black metal are irrelevant because you don't understand black metal, you obviously know nothing about the dimensions of black metal, have no understanding of dissonance, minimalism, ochestral structure & arrangement, alternative production values, aural atmospheres/period music, contemporary and classical composition techniques. that's why we're sick of your posts, you're like the fuckhead at gigs who calls out shit to bands when the rest of us just want to watch them and have a good time while you ruin the night. fuck you.

:lol: You wrote all that for me?? I'm touched :oops:

I actually do like a lot of black metal, Samael were one of my favourite bands for years. What I have a problem with is tr00 black metal, it's fucking pointless. Why do something that has already been done before? Is metal not about pushing the boundries? Basically, I see every tr00 black metal band as nothing more than a cover band.

I will give an example of why I hate the scene. The other weekend, I was going to the toilet at the Demonikus album launch, when I walked in the door I saw the keyboardist from Dissension putting corpse paint on. So I enquired, "hey, why do you wear that stuff?" I knew the answer, but thought I would test him. he replied " I don't know, we just do" I started laughing and went to do a piss.

Now, there is to much of that in your scene, before you address me about not understanding it, because i actually do, how about you fix up the ignorance of your black metal brethren.

I love linkin park

you are a fag because the guy from norway told me to say it.

Fukking Australian Metal Bands To Support!!

DESTROYER FUKKIN 666!!!
Sadistik Exekution
Nazxul
Striborg
Gospel of The Horns
Atomizer
Vomitor
Astriaal
Darklord
ANATOMY (R.I.P)
Bestial Warlust
Armoured Angel
Grenade
Portal
Rev, Kriss Hades
Destruktor!
Nocturnal Graves \m/
Long Voyage Back
Abominator
Hobb's Angel of Death

AND ANY FUKKIN KILLER AUSTRALIAN BLACK METAL BANDS!!!!
FUKKIN CHEERS TO THE AUSSIE BLACK METALLERS!!!! \m/

Anyone know anything about the new Anarazel or Carbon releases?

Damn this thread went to hell and I wasnt even watching. Shame about that.

@Koich: Norway isn't the only Scandinavian country. You make too many assumptions. That I am a "scenewhore" and I try to look scary was the first. That I wasn't scandinavian and my forum name was to be tr00 was the next, so on Now that I'm norwegian. You should learn to ask if you really don't know.

Thor Kjaer-Olsen
Beyond Redemtion

It's redemption, you shouldn't make assumptions about correct spelling.

Oh, and thanks for the geography lesson. I was totally unaware that Norway wasn't the only country in Scandinavia.

Koich said:
:lol: You wrote all that for me?? I'm touched :oops:

I actually do like a lot of black metal, Samael were one of my favourite bands for years. What I have a problem with is tr00 black metal, it's fucking pointless. Why do something that has already been done before? Is metal not about pushing the boundries? Basically, I see every tr00 black metal band as nothing more than a cover band.

I will give an example of why I hate the scene. The other weekend, I was going to the toilet at the Demonikus album launch, when I walked in the door I saw the keyboardist from Dissension putting corpse paint on. So I enquired, "hey, why do you wear that stuff?" I knew the answer, but thought I would test him. he replied " I don't know, we just do" I started laughing and went to do a piss.

Now, there is to much of that in your scene, before you address me about not understanding it, because i actually do, how about you fix up the ignorance of your black metal brethren.

I love linkin park

you are a fag because the guy from norway told me to say it.

if you have a read over your previous posts, it does seem you're doing a blanket attack against all black metal. a lot of black metal bands also still are pushing the boundaries, but there is no stream of black metal that i have found that i don't like so far, and that includes raw scandinavion flavoured black metal. i think it's a type of music that still hasn't been fully explored, and also i've yet to see live in australia till recently. luckily for me in melbourne, we've got anarazel, black bile & notherealm - all bands i enjoy. so what if they're not completely original, be damned if you can't hear a little abigor and anathema in astriaal (attack of the 'a' bands), entombed in earth, my dying bride in cryptal darkness or carcass in blood duster?

i remember listening to 'live in liepzig' and similar live black metal recordings and wondering what it would've been like to be there, and now i've got the chance. as for the corpse-paint thing, to each their own, some bands do it and look cool, some look ridiculous. i know that black bile's reason is because they want to raise the old dangerous spirit black metal had, yet has been lost in many of the old bands and that's a valid reason in my opinion. i don't think they ever set out to do anything hyper-original, they're just trying to find something that has since been lost. a lot like all these new-old garage bands that you see these days, just these guys actually know something about what the original attitudes, feelings and atmospheres were (unlike many of these other new rock bands, because in my opinion they fail horrendously).

as for super mario, i wasn't criticising justin timberlake's taste in music, i was criticising him for the way he criticised music. at least we can all agree on supporting a DIVERSE australian metal scene, where bands of ALL types have a place. even leechseed :err: (... or maybe not...).

:headbang:

I actually agree with a lot of your post Abaddon, but you need to realise the difference that is being influenced by and blatently ripping off.

I lose respect for all that old black metal because there is only so many times you can rearrange 3 notes and make a song. It's just, well, boring.

Pull The Plug said:
Excuse my stupdiness in me asking if there is any metal radio stations in Victoria? Like Victoria-wide?
It ain't stupid to ask questions, mate, far from it.
As for your question, there aren't any purely Metal Radio stations in Australia. Some local stations have timeslots dedicated to metal (sometimes), but they generally only serve a single area (such as the one they have on the South Coast NSW with one of the Malice guys). If you want to know 'bout metal programs in your area, why don't you call you local radio station(s) and see what they have to offer. If they don't do a metal show, start a petition with some of your friends (you'll need over 100 signitures for them to take notice and they have to be genuine, not just one bloke writing 50 different names with the same pen. They tend to check things like that nowadays).
Well, that's the best The Pimp can do.
Good luck in your search.
Peace
The Pimp NeonBlack

Thor Kjaer-Olsen - Did you manage to make it to the Deeds of Flesh gig in Brisbane? If so what were your thoughts on the local extreme music scene? Deeds crushed and that was one of my favourite shows for a longtime...also the venue killz...I hope we can keep it.

Hailx

ASTRIAAL said:
Thor Kjaer-Olsen - Did you manage to make it to the Deeds of Flesh gig in Brisbane? If so what were your thoughts on the local extreme music scene? Deeds crushed and that was one of my favourite shows for a longtime...also the venue killz...I hope we can keep it.

Hailx
No, it was 18+ and the damn door man didn't accept my, ah, modified ID. :cry:
Two of my friends went, they said it was fucking brutal, really impressed. If you can come back to Briz after 4 months, I'll see ya then.