Awful news....don't know how else to say it

A special edition of Headbangers Ball, focusing on the life and music of the late Dimebag Darrell will air this Saturday, December 11.

I don't get MTV2 currently. What are the chances of somebody taping this episode for me. I will pay you or give you tons of promos/CDRs/whatever.

And oh, from that cool ebay listing, one assshole sent the seller an email:

"EVERYONE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL THIS JERK.THIS IS A EMAIL I RECIEVED FROM HIM OR IT. "I see everybody saying God Bless Darrel. Did Darrel ever Bless God by reading a Bible or playing music to worship God. Darrel's God was Satan, so in a way maybe his God has blessed him by saving a hot seat in hell for him. To bad. You can change your life by changing God's. Jesus is waiting for you." HIS EMAIL IS BQQGIE@YAHOO.COM WHAT A JERK!!!!!!!!!"

I've been gathering my thoughts on this since I first saw it last night. I held off, hoping and thinking that it wouldn't be true and that Dime and Vinnie were alright. Though I haven't listened to Pantera a lot for awhile now, they were one of those building blocks that I think every metalhead has. Cemetary Gates has always been one of my favorite songs and going back and exploring all of Pantera's albums, they truly were a great band. They just went out and played metal. No frills, just put it all on the line. Today I got out my Pantera shirt for the first time in a long time and made a makeshift memorial on it to wear around. I've blasted Pantera all day and the solo from Psycho Holiday literally sent chills down my spine. As always, you take for granted what you have until its gone. Dime was a talented man and Pantera will always live on. I think I've discovered a new respect for what the man could do and what the band's music actually gave to me in the big picture of things.

To J.: This hits us all hard because we live our music. That is the reason why I and many others are here. Maybe it isn't the same for you, but for every album that influences me, it becomes a part of me and my life. Therefore, the artist becomes personally tied into who I am. When an artist who helped build me up to the point that I'm at is senselessly murdered, it takes a piece of me away and obviously that hurts. If Mikael Akerfeldt was shot, your damn right I'd cry and wouldn't sleep, eat or feel anything but pain for days. Yeah, it's terrible when anyone dies and I recognize that, as I appreciate life as much or more than anyone else out there, but I will never deny that when it is someone who has had a profound effect on my life, that it will hurt more. Maybe you find that selfish, but when I listen to Dimebag playing guitar and think about him being gone, its more painful than a 30 second clip on the news about a stranger. Maybe we're all over-reacting in shock of the whole thing, but I've always felt that metalheads and the artists are extremely close no matter what, a brotherhood if you will. I know you don't feel that way and that is the difference.

Nate: I can probably record that show for you. Considering our close proximity to each other in location, it should get there quickly too. We'll discuss it if you want.

Opeth17 said:
To J.: This hits us all hard because we live our music. That is the reason why I and many others are here. Maybe it isn't the same for you, but for every album that influences me, it becomes a part of me and my life. Therefore, the artist becomes personally tied into who I am. When an artist who helped build me up to the point that I'm at is senselessly murdered, it takes a piece of me away and obviously that hurts. If Mikael Akerfeldt was shot, your damn right I'd cry and wouldn't sleep, eat or feel anything but pain for days. Yeah, it's terrible when anyone dies and I recognize that, as I appreciate life as much or more than anyone else out there, but I will never deny that when it is someone who has had a profound effect on my life, that it will hurt more. Maybe you find that selfish, but when I listen to Dimebag playing guitar and think about him being gone, its more painful than a 30 second clip on the news about a stranger. Maybe we're all over-reacting in shock of the whole thing, but I've always felt that metalheads and the artists are extremely close no matter what, a brotherhood if you will. I know you don't feel that way and that is the difference.
I've already pretty responded to this. I get it. And no, I don't think any of you are over-reacting, nor were people over-reacting when Quorthon or Chuck died.

People mourn in different ways, I guess. The difference here is probably that I think Pantera's music pretty much blows ass. Sure, they have a good tune every once in a while, but most of it is just pseudo-macho jock redneck metal. I do recognize Dimebag was a monster on the guitar, though.

But I am curious to know what this "profound effect" on your life was, and how exactly he influenced you. His guitar playing, I assume.

J. said:
But I am curious to know what this "profound effect" on your life was, and how exactly he influenced you. His guitar playing, I assume.

I assume that from this comment, music hasn't in some way changed the person that you are. (no offense in case I'm wrong) I got into music and subsequently metal at a fairly young age. Entering high school, a time where both your mind and body are going insane. This is a time in your life where you decide who and what your going to be and represent over the years. The decisions you'll make at this age you'll either look back on with pride or be disgusted with yourself. Personally, bands like Nirvana, Pantera and Slayer helped move me towards metal. Opeth in turn was the first time I ever heard true emotion in music, emotion that could make me break down and cry because it conveyed feelings without words. An acoustic break, a well-timed solo, these are things that can send chills down my spine. Because of the depth of the lyrics, the feelings conveyed, it helped open my mind. As a child you live in a box with a very innocent view of what life entails. When I discovered these bands and in particular Opeth and the music it lead to, it helped discard that and helped me grow. The philosophical and religious viewpoints that bands bring to the table helped broaden my horizons and made me into an explorer. I was already a history buff among other things, but metal made me think deeply about life and existence because of the open-mindedness or at the very least, new viewpoints it brought to the table. Like I said, music becomes a part of me when I hear it, and so do the artists. It can move me like nothing else and that is why I'm here. Music is not a hobby to me, it's my passion and with every passing day and each new band and album discovered, I'm introduced to a new point of view, a new culture, something that will further my interests. I've always thought that music is either in your blood or it isn't. I've always been one to think ahead and be an individual, but metal brought that to the forefront like never before and continues to today. If that is not a "profound effect" for something to have, I don't know what it is.

I'll admit that Pantera did not have the most profound effect, but they were a stepping stone that helped lead me to where I am today. Without bands like Pantera that serve as a link between Nirvana and Suffocation, I could never listen to the music I do today and they have my respect because of that. Darrell's guitar playing is incredible and some of those solos send chills down my spine. I don't know if you feel music in your very being like I do, but that is why events like this hurt and why artists like him matter to me more than some random person.

I haven't opened the thread in GMD since that blasphee (?) dude said "glad he's dead" because it was obvious where that was going to end up. There are certain things I have no tolerance of, and instead of getting myself worked up over it, especially when it probably involves some keyboard jockey just trying to get a rise out of myself and others, I just stay away.

Anywho, Pantera very much affected me on a personal basis. There are a select few bands that I have identified with so much that the musicians involved start to literally feel like loved ones. Bands like Pantera, Megadeth, Slayer, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Primus, Tool, Danzig, Morbid Angel and maybe a handful of others feel like brothers to me. I can pinpoint specific moments of my life that correlate to specific songs or albums over the past 13 years that I've been listening to all of them. I have a bond with these bands, whether or not I've ever even seen them in person has no bearing on how I feel toward them. The emotional load their art has given me truly creates a love affair, and when a tragedy strikes their camps, it strikes mine as well.

I could go on, but Opeth17 pretty much already nailed every point I would make so I'll just stop and say "what he said." :Spin:

Sure, music moves me, but those moments are very rare and are something truly special. It takes an album of gargantuan proportions. Not just any album or any artist that helped me along the way truly means a lot to me. In fact, I can barely think of many albums I'd give a perfect score to.

And sure music has helped shaped who I am, just as baseball (my other passion) has, but I do not wear either as a badge of honor like a lot of people do. Those are simply the two things that interest me the most, and please me the most.

I'm just not a mushy-gushy person. I don't cry often at all, so when someone I've never met dies, it just doesn't affect me too much. And anyway, it's the music I'd be attached to, not the individual that I've never met. No matter what, they can't take the music away.

I can accept that answer because I can see where your coming from. The biggest difference I can spot are those final two sentences. I guess with me, the artist represents the music, because in the end, we wouldn't have it without them. That is why I feel so close to some artists, because without them, I wouldn't have their great music that has helped me a lot today. Without Mikael Akerfeldt and subsequently, his music, I would not be here with you fellows today. I differentiate little between the music and the person creating it because they are critical to each other.