Ayreon

Of course i think the lyrics suck. That's exactly the point: it's a matter of opinion. Just because i think they're horrible doesn't mean someone else can't like them. "Quality of lyrics" is not quantifiable... it's not a solid fact. It's really stupid to get on your high horse because you like lyrics with "more depth". I like Municipal Waste, and their lyrics are pretty shitty, about partying and the like. I like manowar lyrics, which are among the most laughable in metal.

But that first paragraph above is exactly the point... it's this "OMG U DISAGRE WITH ME UR DUM" attitude. Fucking retarded man, seriously.

That's it. I'm out.

:rolleyes: just when I thought there was hope :erk:

glad t'were'nt me

The Castle Hall

At last! you enter the Electric Castle! Here in this vast hall where even shadows fear the
light - here you must confront your past. If you have killed, beware of the Gathering of Spirits
for they do fish for men. Here, the disembodied Astral World becomes flesh once more. I pity the
men of swords.
For here blood runs cold...

[barbarian]
cries from the grave resound in my ears
they hail from beyond my darkest fears
faces of the past are etched in my brain
the women I raped, the men I've slain

shades of the dead are sliding on the wall
demons dance in the castle hall

[knight]
I call upon the sword, the mighty Excalibur
grant me the skill to fulfill my quest

I call upon my king and the knights of the table round
grant me the courage to stand to this test

I call upon the seer, Merlin the sorcerer
grant me the magic to end my pain

I call upon the spirit that lives in a noble heart
grant me the passion that's within my veins

shades of the dead are sliding on the wall
demons dance in the castle hall

:lol: lots of fun

I know Zach. But seriously, if someone's going to do a concept album about a deep subject, and in "prog" music no less, they should at least make some attempt at lyrical integrity beyond first grade writing. Or does the "prog" virtuosity only apply to musical requirements?

Zero Hour= fail

you = fail

you = fail

you both = fail.

+1 :lol:

:worship:

and Zero Hour fails:kickass:

you still = fail :p

I know Zach. But seriously, if someone's going to do a concept album about a deep subject, and in "prog" music no less, they should at least make some attempt at lyrical integrity beyond first grade writing. Or does the "prog" virtuosity only apply to musical requirements?

without wanting to open up a whole nuther arguement here, i think the majority of prog listeners are of the opinion that 'its all about the music'... Sure its always a bonus if the lyrics are clever, thought-provoking, uplifting etc. but I'd guess that for the majority of prog if they like the music, they'll get it, without even knowing what the lyrics are like, whereas they're hardly likely to go out and buy a cd after just having read some lyrics and not knowing anything about the music...

Of course there are always exceptions...

Some progressive music is intense both musically and in message, some is'nt. BFD. Frankly its getting to where alot of it carries the same formula. Would'nt want all the bands I listen to to be the same. Thats my deal with Queensryche vs Savatage vs Fates Warning vs SymphonyX all very different. I'd rather add this Ayreon to the list than most of the power metal bands I can think of, because its different. Threshold as well. Take Circus Maximus for an example, very talented, I like them, but sometimes I get the feeling I've heard much of it somewhere before.

Its really not a big deal
its really not
if it was I would journey the depths of the earth, sword in hand, and slay all those who spoke poorly of - post - Streets - Savatage.

then Ken and I would be the only souls left on earth............. OMG........... =}:-0

...actually i would be standing next to the two of you holing a bloody sword. madness would truelly reign in the hall of the mountain king. or i guess kings since the three of us are the only ones left in the world...new sav rocks. wake of magelllan and poets an madmen are genious albums. some of my favorites of all time.

p.s. i couldn't agree with you more on the "they sound the same... my bands sound different" i still like many bands that aren't 100% orig... but they are never favorites of mine.

Ken, you can argue until you are blue in the face that this is the way things are "supposed" to be, but you're the only one who seems hung up on the fact that it's supposed to be a deep subject. You brought up the comparison to BE, not Arjen or anyone on the forum. And again, Arjen has built a fanbase with Ayreon despite his poor lyric writing (which again, i'm not disputing that with you), so it obviously doesn't matter as much as you make it out.

And might I point out that you enjoy a fair number of Ayreon tracks, and I doubt those tracks had any sudden jump in lyrical quality. They just are good songs with better vocalists.

Again, I'm really not a huge Ayreon fan. I enjoy some of his work, i think he's written some great songs, but i'm not blindly defending him. I'm just tired of these weak, bullshit arguements being passed off as legitimate and then when someone calls you out, you immediately insult their intelligence and get all high and mighty saying you don't have time for them, or saying they're on your "douchebag list" like that should really mean anything.

By the way, i'm mailing your vinyl tomorrow.

If you guys have a secret Zero Hour cd that doesn't make me want to sit in a cold room and grit/grind my teeth, I'd love to hear it.

But you like Ayreon?

Zach, yeah I know. The tracks I do like are *slightly* less painful. Not less cheesy, but better written. Compare, on Human Equation, the content of "Pain" to something like "School" and you'll get what I mean. As for SXJ, he really had nothing to say after the first few posts. After that it was just fun, and then the novelty wore off and I blocked him.

woa, blockage, its like spears through the heart, the maturity of it all

wonder why he had to keep repeating himself... repetitive twisting, turning, attacks, quite fitting to the topic... the ponderance of it all
--------------------------

j-dub...... my armys have catapults and you will tremble in fear as you load your musket while our flaming balls reign down your walls, igniting your hord of Asian sorcery

Zach, yeah I know. The tracks I do like are *slightly* less painful. Not less cheesy, but better written. Compare, on Human Equation, the content of "Pain" to something like "School" and you'll get what I mean.
Again, subjective. I honestly think all of the human equation is pretty consistent in terms of lyrical content. It's not the writing that gets better or worse so much as the chapters and music.
As for SXJ, he really had nothing to say after the first few posts. After that it was just fun, and then the novelty wore off and I blocked him.
Well good for you for blocking him, and you're right that he had nothing new to say. But as Razor just pointed out, there's a damned good reason he had to keep repeating himself.

I'm going to say this very blatantly and flat out, and you're not going to like it but that's just tough titties.

As i've mentioned before in various threads here, i've been watching a lot of clips of the O'Reilly Factor on youtube, and the way you argue is a lot like the way he argues. Sure, you're not a staunch republican pretending to be "up the middle", but your style is very similar.

-Bill rides one small point that has no bearing to the overall issue. He does this because he can win one tiny point and make it known that he has won, then he wins the arguement by default. That's flat out bullshit and everyone else sees that except Bill.

-Bill comes off with a Holier than Thou attitude that he's always right, and no matter what points someone else comes up with, if they don't support his then they're wrong. No exceptions.

-If an interviewee says something Bill doesn't like or he gets bored (aka he's losing the arguement), he'll cut their mic.

I'm not saying this to flame you or bash you, but you seriously need to rethink your approach to getting your point across. It's getting seriously old.

j-dub...... my armys have catapults and you will tremble in fear as you load your musket while our flaming balls reign down your walls, igniting your hord of Asian sorcery

The only flaming balls you'll see will be mine after a 4 hour jaunt at the Burrito Buffet, as I tea-bag you while you take your last breath! :lol: :)
(need to add some humor to this thread, or else a tampon machine :))