Ayreon

Well, I will listen to it before I buy it. I can't say I really enjoy any of their stuff but, who knows. It could be great.

whats the deal with this moonsorrow ? I think I downloaded a few songs and wasnt it some alien language ? I think they had one of those rabid dogs "singing" too dont they ?

whats the deal with this moonsorrow ? I think I downloaded a few songs and wasnt it some alien language ? I think they had one of those rabid dogs "singing" too dont they ?

*sigh*... yes and yes.

They sing in Finnish and they do have a more "black metal" style vocal delivery, but it's straight up viking metal. Moonsorrow is, to my ears, one of the best bands out there right now and has some of the finest compositions. The raspy vocals work with what they do, though they're hardly extreme metal as there are no blastbeats and the music is very melodic and epic as hell.

Their last album, V: Hävitetty (Chapter 5: Ravaged) is literally one of the best, most flawless albums ever penned.

So Marillion - Marbles is that good? I bought Script for a jesters tear and don't like it that much. I got their newest CD Somewhere else the same day the new PT album came out because the guy who runs a CD shop by me said new Marillion is good. Dick head.

You should get Seasons End if you haven't got that one, that's their best.

And symphonyxjapan, you're a massive fanboy and you don't have to argue your points cuz it's like you're going berserk with blank bullets. Also, you don't have to be ashamed to say you download music, even from your favorite band. I'm downloading 10101010 whatever as I type.

I dunno how zachs gonna react but I actually thought Moonsorrow were kind of boring. They are good and I see their qualities, I love long songs that build up, and I enjoy viking metal but I just think they are kinda boring. Could be that I need to listen to them some more.

Currently listening to Connect the Dots. It's good except the chorus. TBH not a single woman in Ayreons projects can sing for shit.

Definitely start with Seasons End for Marillion.

Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws are also excellent.
Also a big fan of Marillion.com and This Strange Engine.
Marbles is great but it's really mellow by comparison. The bonus track "Ocean Cloud" is a highlight.

I dunno how zachs gonna react but I actually thought Moonsorrow were kind of boring. They are good and I see their qualities, I love long songs that build up, and I enjoy viking metal but I just think they are kinda boring. Could be that I need to listen to them some more.

*Insert 5 paragraph rant of me flying off the handle*

TBH not a single woman in Ayreons projects can sing for shit.

Floor sucked on Star One. She's a good vocalist, but the melodies and harmonies Arjen made her sing were ass.

Definitely start with Seasons End for Marillion.

Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws are also excellent.
Also a big fan of Marillion.com and This Strange Engine.
Marbles is great but it's really mellow by comparison. The bonus track "Ocean Cloud" is a highlight.

Ok, I'll check out Seasons End.:)

I almost won Seasons End Picture Disc UK Vinyl yesterday but some bastard beat me with 20 seconds left. I was livid.

The best thing about Star One was Russell Allen & Dan Swanö

I almost won Seasons End Picture Disc UK Vinyl yesterday but some bastard beat me with 20 seconds left. I was livid.

The best thing about Star One was Russell Allen & Dan Swanö

Too bad Swanö didn't go touring, he'd look fab in one of those tight gay space costumes :lol:

Now playing Beneath the Waves, another decent song from 10101010101 which could be better without shitty chick choruses. I'm sure they can sing very well, it just that it sounds shit and it would be so much better without it

Im currently listening to "The Castle Hall" under headphones and I think its a trip. I'm chuckling a bit, I must admit. Good entertainment

ok, i'm not a huge fan of arjen himself... or his projects, but the man can choose some fine vocalists.
just listening to the song on the myspace and hearing jorn, hansi, and daniel on one song... my head might explode.

again...this has nothign to do with fanboiness.... i think ayreon is "ok" at best, but the vocalists are far better than ok.

i will buy the album.

can someone email me "the fifth extinction" to tide me over though?
darkblade543@aol.com

:lol: ... your signature never applied more than it does to yourself SXJ.

@Zach: Star One ruled.
@razoredge: Savatage ruled.

@Dan: an album I think slays utterly?
Moonsorrow - Hävitetty
Dan Swanö - Moontower
Riverside - Out Of Myself
Marillion - Seasons End
Marillion - Marbles
Anathema - A Natural Disaster
The Future Sound Of London - My Kingdom
Ulver - Perdition City
Third Eye Blind - Blue
Vertical Horizon - Live Stages
Dark Tranquillity - Character
Edge Of Sanity - Crimson 1 & 2
Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
Katatonia - Discouraged Ones
Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain
Agalloch - The Mantle
Yes - Union
Yes - The Ladder
U2 - Rattle & Hum
Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice
Rush - Presto
Rush - Moving Pictures
Rush - Permanent Waves
Rush - Roll The Bones...

How many more do you want? I could list for you literally at least 1000 more.

k thanks, that will do... :lol:

But seriously, I just wanted to get a reference point as to where you opinion lies... :)

imo Zero Hour would be my favourite out of that lot methinks...

can someone email me "the fifth extinction" to tide me over though?
darkblade543@aol.com

Isn't it up on his myspace at the moment, just listen to it on there...

you both = fail.

The best new Ayreon track is The Sixth Extinction. Jonas P Renkse ftw. The vocalists do a great job throughout... but that's the only song I can actually listen to and enjoy it.