Ayreon

Oh fuck me for criticizing music. I suppose you, symphonyXjapan, are a massive Ayreon fan, and personally offended by my criticism of the music. So don't read the rest of this post.

My review: The 102 Minute EP
I want Arjen to do better. I expect more from him and his parade of all-stars than what he churns out, which is a double album with 3 or less passable tracks. (This comment goes for Universal Migrator, Human Equation, and 01011001). Their talents and his are wasted on this music. It's often-generic recycled prog riffage with amazing vocal performances... of the worst lyrics ever written.

The concept of 01011001 is a watered down, childish version of PoS - BE. Unlike BE, it doesn't address deeper concerns or present its message subtly and tactfully. Instead it bashes you over the head with it, and with lyrics that are so poorly conceived that they hardly seem serious at all. Also unlike BE, which was highly erratic in genre, 01011001 by stark contrast is nearly as same-ish as a Dragonforce Box Set. It won't offend anybody or spark controversy like BE, but then again it won't do much of anything.

For an album boasting the talents of so many musicians and vocalists, it is a severe letdown. There are no memorable riffs, and the vocals, although powerfully delivered, fall short because the words sung are so awful that the listener makes an effort not to understand them. The songs, though each is of epic length, have nothing of epic majesty to them, and appear to drag on far too long. For all the hoopla about guest vocalists and musicians (I heard nothing memorable on the album from Romeo or Sherinian), the hype was overrated in the greatest sense. None but Jonas Renkse really stand out. His performances, sprinkled throughout, and his grande finale (the only track on which he growls) are the only parts of the album that caught my interest. The rest of it was just passive music.

Arjen could have saved himself time and money and just condensed all of this down to an EP or a Single like Avantasia - Lost In Space. At least that was only 4 minutes long and got to the punch asap. It was listenable. This is the 2 hour version of that 4 minute track, ala Ayreon style. It should also be noted that there are no differences musically or conceptually between the two discs. The monotonous story trudges on as ever, on and on, on and on. While the discs may be labeled "Earth" and "Y" and the graphics represent Earth and a futuristic mechanized world, no delineation is made in the music.
Rating: 1 out of 5
Agreed. Definitely no BE, and Jonas' parts are certainly the best aspect. Overall Definitely a waste of talent with three amazing singers Daniel, Jonas, and Tom.

Wow ! I started a thred that is now 11 pages long and I still know little of the music ........... lol

what a letdown. i was looking forward to listen to this album. i think arjen is doomed to make double albums, maybe because thats what everyone expects from him, and maybe he thinks that if the album is longer it will be better. i bet my ass that he had 5 incredible songs for that album, but felt the need to spread every part of each song into a whole other one so it fills the room for the 2nd disk.
at least thats what came to mi mind after a first listen. maybe ill change mi opinion.

I haven't heard it yet, but despite your reviews I'm going to listen and make my own opinion on it, as I know there's lots of albums that many here don't like that I do...

Absolutely. Reviews are only perspectives. To each person, their own perspective should be the most important.

And then there are people like symphonyXjapan, who can't handle other perspectives contrary to their own. They feel threatened by criticism. I don't get that.

Absolutely. Reviews are only perspectives. To each person, their own perspective should be the most important.

And then there are people like symphonyXjapan, who can't handle other perspectives contrary to their own. They feel threatened by criticism. I don't get that.

true, its amazing how much we agree on, as well as how much we disagree on at the same time... :lol:

btw, Ken I was just wondering, what is an album that you actually reckon is a masterpiece? There seems to be so many that you dislike, or think aren't up to scratch, I'd be interested to know of a couple that you hear and think wow that's amazing... :)

I didnt get that, he explained himself pretty well....... you two are sure going at it though.... round and round in circles :lol:

Savatage has(had) done the best concept albums and I'll accept NO alternative opinions

Not only that....... its the fastest 8 letter word to type with left hand only :p

I didnt get that, he explained himself pretty well....... you two are sure going at it though.... round and round in circles :lol:

Savatage has(had) done the best concept albums and I'll accept NO alternative opinions

Not only that....... its the fastest 8 letter word to type with left hand only :p

Yeah, I don't understand why he keeps saying that I am an Ayreon fanboy and that I can't take criticism? I have only said it like 3 times on this thread that I not only don't even own all the albums, but I really don't listen to Ayreon THAT much in general. I listen every so often if I feel like sitting down to listen to a nice long album and in the mood for spacey music. I don't sit there and pray to it in meditation as if it is some kind of unimaginable masterpiece or anything.

I especially don't understand why he says I can't take criticisms to music that I like. Not only have I said it doesn't bother me if he doesn't like something I do at least 2 times in this argument, but he keeps trying to change around what I am arguing with him about? All I was arguing was that when you put personal opinion aside, one kind of music is not inferior just because the story is blatantly given to the listener instead of making the listener think. He took the elitist route in bringing the inferiority of the story style of Ayreon to a higher level than his personal opinion. If he hates the way the story in Ayreon music is given that is fine; however, he shouldn't question the intelligence of those that do like Ayreon just because the story is "spoonfed" to them.

I also forgot to bring up the subject of the "hype" for 0101001. This album does not have any more hype than any other music release. Of course Ayreon fans hype the new album, they are "fans" who are excited about new music from an artist they enjoy. This is no different that any other musical project out there. Things that are truly hyped are those that are talked about all over corporate mainstream America. If something is really hyped you hear about it everywhere throughout all kinds of media outlets. For example, the most overhyped videogame of all time, Halo 3. I have not seen hype for Ayreon anywhere except secluded within a small portion of the Internet metal community. This hype for Ayreon that kenneth speaks of really is no more than the "eagerness of the fans". Which is nothing more than that of any other band such as SyX.

BTW Razoredge: Savatage is great! I really like "The Wake of Magellan".

I also forgot to bring up the subject of the "hype" for 0101001. This album does not have any more hype than any other music release. Of course Ayreon fans hype the new album, they are "fans" who are excited about new music from an artist they enjoy. This is no different that any other musical project out there. Things that are truly hyped are those that are talked about all over corporate mainstream America. If something is really hyped you hear about it everywhere throughout all kinds of media outlets. For example, the most overhyped videogame of all time, Halo 3. I have not seen hype for Ayreon anywhere except secluded within a small portion of the Internet metal community. This hype for Ayreon that kenneth speaks of really is no more than the "eagerness of the fans". Which is nothing more than that of any other band such as SyX.

This is very true. This is the only place that I visit that I've even seen anyone mention Ayreon. When you're around this genre of music, you expect the bigger projects in the genre to be talked about with excitement... using your halo example, it's gotten to the point where they just put up a Master Chief cardboard cutout and people cum in their pants, talking about how great it is, talking about all the features... this is months before anyone plays it mind you. Ayreon is mainly speculation and hope. I've not seen anyone who hasn't heard it say "OMG THIS WILL DEEESSTRRROOOOYYYY EVERY RELEASE NEXT YEAR!!!". And if they did, they'd be silly.

To those who hear it and love it, i say more power to you. I've heard albums where even though there was shit wrong with it ("glaring issues" is the term someone used I believe :p ) but there is something intangible that sticks out for me. I know that by logic i shouldn't like the album, but i love it.

Also, subject of lyrics, it's just as subjective as anything. Now, I think they're terrible and my examples involved King Diamond, but in an attempt to use that as a contrast to Ayreon, I realized I was attempting to compare a horror/supernatural story to a cheesy sci fi flick. They're meant to evoke two completely different feelings and emotions. personally i think Ayreon's lyrics are horrible and always have been, but if someone else thinks they're either passable or great, who am I to say they're wrong? I also don't think to much of Emily Dickinson's work, but apparently there's a few people out there who considered her to be great. Does that make me wrong and them right, or vice versa? Nah, it's the nature of people.

And SxJ... What are you, my mom? :lol:

The only reason I kept rambling on is because he kept trying to change what I was arguing by calling me a fanboy who can't take criticism. He did this despite the fact I had plainly pointed out otherwise many times on both cases. It really felt like he was not even fully reading my arguments? Oh well...

@Burnout

I would say that 01011001 is best described as "The Universal Migrator" with a few "folky" acoustic parts that are influenced from "The Human Equation". Unfortunately a weak part of the album to me is that there are barely any wind instruments used, which on THE became a big part of the music. This is a little more understandable as 01011001 goes back to the heavier synthesized (space) sound of Ayreon. I also feel that Arjen is getting a little better at implenting the keys into the music since "Into the Electric Castle" and "The Universal Migrator". I don't count the keys in THE because they were used quite a bit differently on that album. They were more used in the melodies of the choruses than as atmosphere.

:lol: ... your signature never applied more than it does to yourself SXJ.

@Zach: Star One ruled.
@razoredge: Savatage ruled.

@Dan: an album I think slays utterly?
Moonsorrow - Hävitetty
Dan Swanö - Moontower
Riverside - Out Of Myself
Marillion - Seasons End
Marillion - Marbles
Anathema - A Natural Disaster
The Future Sound Of London - My Kingdom
Ulver - Perdition City
Third Eye Blind - Blue
Vertical Horizon - Live Stages
Dark Tranquillity - Character
Edge Of Sanity - Crimson 1 & 2
Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
Katatonia - Discouraged Ones
Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain
Agalloch - The Mantle
Yes - Union
Yes - The Ladder
U2 - Rattle & Hum
Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice
Rush - Presto
Rush - Moving Pictures
Rush - Permanent Waves
Rush - Roll The Bones...

How many more do you want? I could list for you literally at least 1000 more.

So Marillion - Marbles is that good? I bought Script for a jesters tear and don't like it that much. I got their newest CD Somewhere else the same day the new PT album came out because the guy who runs a CD shop by me said new Marillion is good. Dick head.