Bands every Opeth fan should be exposed to.

Virtually every PoS fan is also a fan of Opeth, I could imagine it's the same the other way around. Proof is this board which has only the most idiotic Opeth fans on it and made all intelligent Opeth fans (who, by my experience all happen to like PoS) leave.

So yeah, other than Porcupine Tree, PoS is the first band that should be mentioned in threads like this.

The thread starter didn't ask for bands that were similar to Opeth. He asked for bands which Opeth fans think are also essential to own/listen to. He didn't say anything about sounding like Opeth or having any connection to them whatsoever.

CAIRATH said:
The thread starter didn't ask for bands that were similar to Opeth. He asked for bands which Opeth fans think are also essential to own/listen to. He didn't say anything about sounding like Opeth or having any connection to them whatsoever.

I think the statement 'Bands every Opeth fan should be exposed to' implies that there be a certain bonding element between every band listed and Opeth. I presume, by reading the title, that the author implied that there is a certain character or aesthetic in music that Opeth fans generally tend toward, and bands that express similar character or aesthetic should be listed.

This is pretty much the reason I only listed Emperor. From what I've heard of the metal scene, they are the only band that manage to stand up to Opeth in a compositional sense.

Sure other bands like Meshuggah have mastered their respective genres, but I feel Emperor and Opeth have fairly similar characteristics, despite their differing beginnings and musical progressions over the years.

Are all the bands being listed essentially prog bands???

I mean not Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Yes, Dream Theater, Tool and what not... I've heard of all the popular stuff being listed, but what about these bands that sound like they are pretty dark metal...

for example, Donnie Darko mentioned that Pain of Salvation is a prog band... I take this to mean that there is both soft and heavy, super melodic and super heavy... long, epic music that isn't just filled with insane double kick (which I also like)... Could you guys possibly list some bands with the main criteria being epic, prog bands with great instrumentation, but that also know how to get really really heavy...

I had only discovered Opeth like a year ago and they quickly became one of my favourite bands... Every album is mind-blowing (although I still haven't heard Orchid) and I would really like to know which of the many metal bands listed here truly encompass that dynamic prog mentality...because I know that Cannibal Corpse and Dimmu Borgir do not (although I'm sure many of you disagree with me - it's just my opinion).

I don't download music but I'll probably check out Pain of Salvation as soon as possible.
Thanks for any feedback.

Check out Gentle Giant... :Spin:...very weird...

These guys broke all the prog rules in the early and mid 70's...very few musicians have reached their level of skill nor have most wanted to...early 70's prog geniuses...

Click on the link, scroll down to the free mp3 downloads and check out a few...especially knots...their octopus album is weird...amazing...as our their 3rd through 9th albums...oh, and if this is too mellow then check out any Cryptopsy album...especially NSV...

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=118

Did I mention that they are weird?

ErikSchierboom said:
*gnawing-teeth mode
Haha, PoS are nothing special? Well, you've just won the prize for most ignorant listener of the year! Congrats to you!
*/gnawing-teeth mode

Well, as for recommendations of Opeth-like bands, I'd name Katatonia, Dark Suns, In Flames and Novembers Doom.

sorry to burst your bubble pal, but im far from ignorant. ive forgotten about more music than youll ever hope to know.

but PoS still isnt anything i feel like listening to.

Even if I disliked PoS, the lyrics alone make the band better than Opeth ever hope to be when it comes to emotion.

Longinus said:
Even if I disliked PoS, the lyrics alone make the band better than Opeth ever hope to be when it comes to emotion.

But TS Eliot totally slays them both! Who cares about lyrics, really? I mean it's nice when they don't suck, but I don't listen to music to hear some kind of message.

Actually, I understand why alot of people say that Pain of Salvation has nothing to do with Opeth. The thing is, that I guess that you haven't fully understood Pain of Salvation then (yeah, sounds stupid :p ).

There are two bands that are very special to me, and those bands are Pain of Salvation and Opeth. What they have in common? They take you on to an emotional rollercoaster. No band can take me so far away from reality as Pain of Salvation and Opeth can. That's what makes those bands special. I've heard alot of the other bands mentioned, they "sound" more like Opeth than Pain of Salvation, but they don't "feel" like Opeth, well, not with me that is.

Looking for a Job said:
waaaaaaaaank

on-topic:
Gr.Wiener.jpg