bands like lamb of god

Um. Maybe Maiden and Priest made metal what it is, and you're being a while musically they may not draw to heavily on them, they draw on bands that were inspired by them, and they draw on the whole attitude and energy of 80s metal, of which Priest and Maiden were the frontrunners. Just maybe.
And maybe, just maybe, Maiden and Priest are far more visionary, talented, creative, and awesome than Lamb of God. And maybe, just maybe, you're being an idiot to suggest otherwise.

And maybe, just maybe... no.

Lamb of God was primarily and almost completely inspired by Pantera with some Napalm Death thrown in. Pantera was inspired by more Death, Thrash, and other underground extreme metal after they made the switch from Glam. Napalm Death was around when Priest and Maiden were, so I'm doubting the influence there.

I don't know where you get the attitude thing from, I've never seen LoG try to look like bikers or like some epic douche like Maiden.

Believe it or not, but Maiden and Priest aren't the reason for all heavy metal today. While they are extremely influential, I see a minimal at most influence on LoG.

No it's not, you drew that assumption the second you demanded that I "prove to you that I'm not an insecure 14 year old". Don't go rearranging facts now, please.
*I* haven't. If you can't understand what I've already said in my post, then you're a lost cause.

Um. Maybe Maiden and Priest made metal what it is, and you're being a while musically they may not draw to heavily on them, they draw on bands that were inspired by them, and they draw on the whole attitude and energy of 80s metal, of which Priest and Maiden were the frontrunners. Just maybe.
And maybe, just maybe, Maiden and Priest are far more visionary, talented, creative, and awesome than Lamb of God. And maybe, just maybe, you're being an idiot to suggest otherwise.

Maybe, but maybe not.

Just 'cause you guys love Maiden and Priest and have told yourselves they are infallible essentials, you can't consider otherwise. Tunnel vision.

Maiden and Priest were important. Forerunners of 80s metal. But they weren't the ONLY 80s metal bands. They have more to do with the lighter side of metal like heavy metal and power metal, than with the darker side of metal. The darker side had already been jump-started by Black Sabbath 10 years earlier (give or take). Yes Maiden and Priest were extremely important, and provided some influence to countless bands. But they're far from the only influential bands, and it's just conjecture to say that bands such as Metallica, Slayer, and Death wouldn't have existed without Maiden and Priest. And in that vein, it's more than possible that Lamb of God would exist just as they are without either of those upbeat 80s bands. It's impossible to know for sure. But it seems pretty likely to me. Just because a band loses one of their influences doesn't mean that the band wouldn't have been able to be what they were.

Your belief that they're more talented, visionary, creative, and awesome is just opinion.

Maybe, but maybe not.

Just 'cause you guys love Maiden and Priest and have told yourselves they are infallible essentials, you can't consider otherwise. Tunnel vision.

Maiden and Priest were important. Forerunners of 80s metal. But they weren't the ONLY 80s metal bands. They have more to do with the lighter side of metal like heavy metal and power metal, than with the darker side of metal. The darker side had already been jump-started by Black Sabbath 10 years earlier (give or take). Yes Maiden and Priest were extremely important, and provided some influence to countless bands. But they're far from the only influential bands, and it's just conjecture to say that bands such as Metallica, Slayer, and Death wouldn't have existed without Maiden and Priest. And in that vein, it's more than possible that Lamb of God would exist just as they are without either of those upbeat 80s bands. It's impossible to know for sure. But it seems pretty likely to me. Just because a band loses one of their influences doesn't mean that the band wouldn't have been able to be what they were.

Your belief that they're more talented, visionary, creative, and awesome is just opinion.

That pretty much sums it up.

I really don't like any of the 3 bands mentioned, nor do I really hate any of them either. But I have to say, I respect maiden and priest more.

And for anyone saying that they're only respected because they're older and popular, and in the future LoG will be respected, take a look at Metallica, while they do get a lot of respect, there's definitely a lot of metal heads who don't like them either.

I have no gripe with lamb of god, but their music doesn't interest me, nor do I think they've left any kind of legacy behind.

Napalm Death were quite a bit later than both Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, and Priest's best stuff was made in the seventies and not the eighties.

having just watched that music video where lamb of god plays at that little girl's birthdat party, I have to say they have dropped down in my book from alright, to incredibly lame.

I'm sorry, but if you actually believe that if both Judas Priest and Iron Maiden never existed that not only would it be possible for Lamb Of God to exist in its current form, but in fact the vast majority of Metal, then you're simply woefully ignorant. The fact of the matter is that, regardless of your opinion on said bands, it's damn near impossible to overstate the influence they've had directly on the entire trajectory that this style has taken since they've existed. Not even Metallica would have been the same band, and Iron Maiden wasn't explicitly a primary influence to their sound. Sure, maybe a band called Lamb Of God would exist, but to be so confident that they would have had the same sound is just denying reality or simply overstating an indefensible proposition in order to support an argument.

Yeah, left a word or two out.
By doing what? dressing in fruity stage apparel, utilizing fantasy lyrics half the time, and having over-blown stage props?
Yes, except I would phrase that as "dressing cool, using lyrics drawn from non-drug-related sources, and putting on a decent show"
as to these band being more "awesome" than Lamb Of God....uh...lol?
"Lol" as in, "lol ldo"

Ahhhhh damnit, we all have different opinions, and no one is an "idiot" for having a different opinion, dude. I may think some bands you like are laughable and vice-versa, but damn,it's not like someone has personally insulted you based on liking a different band.
Yeah, I confess to overreacting. Just getting tired of people blaspheming. You don't have to love it, but you have to respect it.

Lamb of God was primarily and almost completely inspired by Pantera with some Napalm Death thrown in. Pantera was inspired by more Death, Thrash, and other underground extreme metal after they made the switch from Glam.
Death comes from thrash (morbid angel, possessed, death). Thrash mixed NWOBHM style (led by Maiden and Priest) with hardcore punk. So...I'm thinking that yes, in fact, you can pretty easily trace the influence from Maiden and Priest. It isn't like they're carbon copies, but the influence is crucial and undeniable.
Napalm Death was around when Priest and Maiden were, so I'm doubting the influence there.
As in the band formed in 81, at which point both Maiden had been around for 6 years and Priest had been around for even longer. Then they didn't release until 87. At which point Maiden and Priest had both released their classic and most influential albums.
I don't know where you get the attitude thing from, I've never seen LoG try to look like bikers or like some epic douche like Maiden.
Epic douche? How has any member of Maiden ever been an epic douche?
Anyhow...I'm talking about the attitude of rocking, of playing energetic music with passion, of putting in the effort to put on a good show for the fans, of flying in the face of the establishment, etc. To be honest, this was definitely inherited from punk rock, but Maiden and Priest carried it on to metal. And bands like Maiden, Priest, and Sabbath brought the working-class feel to metal.

But they're far from the only influential bands, and it's just conjecture to say that bands such as Metallica, Slayer, and Death wouldn't have existed without Maiden and Priest.
Motorhead, Sabbath, Maiden, and Priest were the heavy metal icons prior to the thrash movement. They and the NWOBHM movement they headed inspired thrash bands like Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, etc, who inspired Death & co.

And in that vein, it's more than possible that Lamb of God would exist just as they are without either of those upbeat 80s bands.
Getting tired of this. No they wouldn't. They would sound like Hatebreed.
Just because a band loses one of their influences doesn't mean that the band wouldn't have been able to be what they were.
Unless of course all their other influences depend on that influence.

The awesome part is opinion. You can't deny that they were visionary and creative.

I'm sorry, but if you actually believe that if both Judas Priest and Iron Maiden never existed that not only would it be possible for Lamb Of God to exist in its current form, but in fact the vast majority of Metal, then you're simply woefully ignorant. The fact of the matter is that, regardless of your opinion on said bands, it's damn near impossible to overstate the influence they've had directly on the entire trajectory that this style has taken since they've existed. Not even Metallica would have been the same band, and Iron Maiden wasn't explicitly a primary influence to their sound. Sure, maybe a band called Lamb Of God would exist, but to be so confident that they would have had the same sound is just denying reality or simply overstating an indefensible proposition in order to support an argument.

Pure conjecture. Like I said before, power metal and heavy metal have little to do with Lamb of God's sound. If you think extreme metal wouldn't have existed without Maiden and Priest, I think you're being a little silly. What specifically did they ahve to do with it? Sure they're 2 of the most popular metal bands of all-time, but that doesn't mean extreme sounds couldn't have come out of the underground without their popularization of metal. There's no band whose influence can't be overstated. It's rare that any specific band is the only band to come up with certain sounds, most of the time multiple people do it unconnected with each other. The Beatles changed the face of modern music forever in many ways, but they weren't doing anything that hadn't been done before, they were just the popular band to do that stuff.

Your ideas about "denying reality," you act as though it's possible to know how things would have turned out if the past was changed. That's nothing but bollocks, we have no way of knowing what may have happened. We can only guess. I haven't heard a single thing from Maiden or Priest that convinces me they're absolutely necessary to the entirity of metal. Metal expands in all different directions and comes from countless different sources. I'm sure they were a big influence, but it seems more than likely to me that the advancements in extreme metal, which they didn't have much of a direct hand in to begin with, would have went on similarly without them.

WeAreInFlames - you don't know what you're talking about. They'd sound like Hatebreed? Lawlz. Any support for that at all?

You're just being obtuse. Everything that came after Judas Priest and Iron Maiden that were critical to the evolution of Metal would have, in some way, whether in a large or small role, would have been fundamentally different. You can't remove a critical component of a band's sound and claim that they sound the same as if that component was not removed, and that is essentially what you're saying when you call "CONJECTURE!!!" on my claim that bands would sound different if you eliminate key components that make up their sound. Without Judas Priest, even Iron Maiden would have come out differently, as would the entirely of the NWOBHM movement. The NWOBHM movement having taken a different path would fundamentally alter the course of the development of Thrash Metal via genre staples such as Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and more of the most significant players in the field. In turn, the evolution of Death Metal and Black Metal would also have been fundamentally altered. The extension goes on ad infinitum. It is called a chain of events, and is hardly reduced merely to conjecture. It's not hard to perceive that Slayer would be radically different without the influence of Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. It's fairly clearly certain that bands such as Death, Possessed, Slaughter, Sacrifice, Death Strike, Massacre, and other early Death Metal bands would have had a different approach as well due to the fundamental difference in their primary influences. The same case can be made for the origins of Black Metal. Venom would have been dramatically different without Judas Priest especially, as well as Iron Maiden, and the same can be said for Mercyful Fate, Bathory, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Sodom, and all of the other originators of the style. As logically follows, if you dramatically alter the fundamental core of evolution of x, then x will be fundamentally altered. It's hardly mere conjecture to follow a logical chain of events to demonstrate the way in which things would have taken a different path had a link in the chain that makes up the path which was ultimately taken been removed.

Of course, this is all assuming that, had these bands never existed, the NWOBHM movement would have still occurred, which very well could have been unlikely, and at best it would have been very different. Following this pattern, it could very well have been the case that the early Thrash Metal bands would have not adopted this formulation and would have either never existed to begin with or would have simply been Hardcore Punk bands in the vein of Discharge, GBH, The Exploited, etc.

This is also, of course, taking a complete blind eye to the obvious influence that Judas Priest and Iron Maiden have instituted on the harmonics found in, yes, Lamb Of God. So yes, you're wrong assume the probability or even remote likelihood that Lamb Of God would be the same today if Judas Priest and Iron Maiden had never existed. The likelihood is so far off the charts of probability that its actual occurrence would most likely be a result of Lamb Of God simply being an incredibly innovative band, since the path forged without Judas Priest and Iron Maiden that, in its current formulation, would have been left with a tremendous void that Lamb Of God would need to fulfill in order to make up that ground. The fact of the matter is, and this is hardly mere conjection, that in all credible likelihood, Lamb Of God would not sound the way that they do today if Judas Priest and Iron Maiden had never existed, and to assume it's likely that they would have is either to assume uncanny innovative prowess for the band or to assume a great deal in the way of plugging the gaps in the chain of events which would have to essentially artificially create the influence that Judas Priest and Iron Maiden had on everything that developed in their wake.

WeAreInFlames - you don't know what you're talking about. They'd sound like Hatebreed? Lawlz. Any support for that at all?
That was what we call a joke. Some of us make them. Some of us fail to detect them.
But actually, the hardcore influence would be much more prominent in their music, in all likelihood.

Anyhow, don't mess with Nec. Otherwise, shit like this might happen:
You're just being obtuse. Everything that came after Judas Priest and Iron Maiden that were critical to the evolution of Metal would have, in some way, whether in a large or small role, would have been fundamentally different. You can't remove a critical component of a band's sound and claim that they sound the same as if that component was not removed, and that is essentially what you're saying when you call "CONJECTURE!!!" on my claim that bands would sound different if you eliminate key components that make up their sound. Without Judas Priest, even Iron Maiden would have come out differently, as would the entirely of the NWOBHM movement. The NWOBHM movement having taken a different path would fundamentally alter the course of the development of Thrash Metal via genre staples such as Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and more of the most significant players in the field. In turn, the evolution of Death Metal and Black Metal would also have been fundamentally altered. The extension goes on ad infinitum. It is called a chain of events, and is hardly reduced merely to conjecture. It's not hard to perceive that Slayer would be radically different without the influence of Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. It's fairly clearly certain that bands such as Death, Possessed, Slaughter, Sacrifice, Death Strike, Massacre, and other early Death Metal bands would have had a different approach as well due to the fundamental difference in their primary influences. The same case can be made for the origins of Black Metal. Venom would have been dramatically different without Judas Priest especially, as well as Iron Maiden, and the same can be said for Mercyful Fate, Bathory, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Sodom, and all of the other originators of the style. As logically follows, if you dramatically alter the fundamental core of evolution of x, then x will be fundamentally altered. It's hardly mere conjecture to follow a logical chain of events to demonstrate the way in which things would have taken a different path had a link in the chain that makes up the path which was ultimately taken been removed.

Of course, this is all assuming that, had these bands never existed, the NWOBHM movement would have still occurred, which very well could have been unlikely, and at best it would have been very different. Following this pattern, it could very well have been the case that the early Thrash Metal bands would have not adopted this formulation and would have either never existed to begin with or would have simply been Hardcore Punk bands in the vein of Discharge, GBH, The Exploited, etc.

This is also, of course, taking a complete blind eye to the obvious influence that Judas Priest and Iron Maiden have instituted on the harmonics found in, yes, Lamb Of God. So yes, you're wrong assume the probability or even remote likelihood that Lamb Of God would be the same today if Judas Priest and Iron Maiden had never existed. The likelihood is so far off the charts of probability that its actual occurrence would most likely be a result of Lamb Of God simply being an incredibly innovative band, since the path forged without Judas Priest and Iron Maiden that, in its current formulation, would have been left with a tremendous void that Lamb Of God would need to fulfill in order to make up that ground. The fact of the matter is, and this is hardly mere conjection, that in all credible likelihood, Lamb Of God would not sound the way that they do today if Judas Priest and Iron Maiden had never existed, and to assume it's likely that they would have is either to assume uncanny innovative prowess for the band or to assume a great deal in the way of plugging the gaps in the chain of events which would have to essentially artificially create the influence that Judas Priest and Iron Maiden had on everything that developed in their wake.
I believe you've been owned. :p

This is more or less what I've been trying to say, only more wordy and scholarly.

And none of this changes the fact that I prefer Lamb Of God to I.M. or J.P., and readily deny that they mean anything to me, and then take a piss on their albums, and then laugh at those who cry about said pissing on the albums of homos in spandex.

Yes. Homos in spandex.

j.k.....no need for a pro-spandex riot here.

In this whole debate, however, if said 2 over-hyped and unabashedly worshipped bands DIDN'T exist, it's safe to assume some other bands with some other names would exist in that similar style, and thus be worshipped instead by the "metal faithful" years down the road. What does all this mean? WHO CARES.

So, anymore bands that sound like Lamb Of God?

And none of this changes the fact that I prefer Lamb Of God to I.M. or J.P., and readily deny that they mean anything to me, and then take a piss on their albums,
:lol:But in actuality, I do enjoy LOG's music and will piss on any Maiden or Priest album given the right opportunity.