bands like turisas?

not soo viking though thuringian pagan "metal": menhir and odroerir. not heavy, rather background (IMO). german bands, consisting of some shared members. but not everyone's cup of tea.
besides this maybe haggard, though i really dont like that band anymore. some orchestral, ambient, medieval etc-blabla-thing.

Do you lot know any good bands/ensembles that play sort of ambient/background music, with a viking theme, of course?
Wagner, Beethoven, Huldreslat (and amazing folk band) or if you are looking for something more metalhead you could use Burzum, Rivendell, Falkenbach, Equilibrium, Manowar, Summoning, Skiltron, Za Frûmi, Satyricon or the soundtracks from the Lord Of The Rings, Braveheart, Dark Kingdom (Der Ring des Nibelungen), Willow or even from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I think any of these should fit good.

not soo viking though thuringian pagan "metal": menhir and odroerir. not heavy, rather background (IMO). german bands, consisting of some shared members. but not everyone's cup of tea.
besides this maybe haggard, though i really dont like that band anymore. some orchestral, ambient, medieval etc-blabla-thing.

Cheers, now off to find some records, if any shops around here have even heard of those.

GmT-Curwen said:
Wagner, Beethoven, Huldreslat (and amazing folk band) or if you are looking for something more metalhead you could use Burzum, Rivendell, Falkenbach, Equilibrium, Manowar, Summoning, Skiltron, Za Frûmi, Satyricon or the soundtracks from the Lord Of The Rings, Braveheart, Dark Kingdom (Der Ring des Nibelungen), Willow or even from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I think any of these should fit good.

Thanks, I was looking for some folk-ish background music, to be used in a medieval-like party or so. Just general viking music, without any singing. But the ones suggested, together with melchen's are good enough. :)

Dont be an idiot. You know and I know that the music industry is rolling in cash. The whole "they cant afford to continue" will happen when hell freezes over. Im doing them a favour, so they cant afford to be drug addicts and spend half of their career in rehab. :p

i don't think that's *quite* the case.
see, another reason to actually buy the cds is so that they can see where their support comes from. (ie WHERE TO HAVE CONCERTS) so it benefits you to buy the music....
for huge bullshit mainstream bands, that's one thing, but for bands like Turisas which aren't rolling in cash, it's good to actually BUY it and support them

Dont be an idiot. You know and I know that the music industry is rolling in cash. The whole "they cant afford to continue" will happen when hell freezes over. Im doing them a favour, so they cant afford to be drug addicts and spend half of their career in rehab. :p

BANDS having money and the INDUSTRY having money are two quite different things.

Downloading does hurt bands in the long run, not to mention that promoter's often try to get bands out to respective countries based most usually on record sales. Most money a band has usually isn't their own, but the record labels and bands are usually always in debt to the record companies. The recording advance that artists are given from their label is normally paid back by the band from their own percentage out of record sales and this is why many bands never actually make much profit from album sales, because it takes a long time for the recording advance to be paid off - they make their money from touring.

At least, this is how it was explained to me by a few people already in the industry.

Anyway.

Am thinking about checking out Amon Amarth. Just slightly daunted, as I know if it turns out I really like them - I'll be kicking myself VERY hard for not getting into them sooner as they were only just in Australia recently.

=\

yeah I know :) and I saw a part of the show on the Ragnarok Festival but didn't pay a lot of attention to it cause was having too much fun with the Trollfest guys (you should check that band out btw! not like turisas but very cool band! but still a bit unknown unfortunately)