Bands that are loved by many, hated by you

schenkadere

Obey my dog!
Apr 24, 2005
NY
www.soundclick.com
you know...those bands or albums you just don't get how and why anyone likes at all yet they're considered classics or at least highly rated

For me -

Fates Warning - No Exit and others
Annihilator - Never, Neverland and anything I've ever heard
Anthrax - Among the Living and the rest
Opeth - Still Life...I like Blackwater Park and Damnation
Nevermore - Politics of Ecstasy
Pantera - all but Cowboys and Vulgar Display
Slayer - I get the significance of Reign In Blood and can tolerate it, but the rest?

Curious of some of yours.

-between the buried and me
-necrophagist/arsis/everything else like it
-wintersun (never heard them talked about outside this board, but as much as people love the here, I just don't "get it")
-Mattias Ia Eklundh (sorry J-dub:heh:)
-Agalloch
-slayer
-king's x
-dragonforce
-anything from Fates Warning with John Arch on vocals:puke:
-segovia
-most van halen
-a good deal of Jason Becker (I always feel bad saying that because he's such a good guy and has some really good stuff but most of it...:puke:)

There are a lot of them. I'll just name a few...

[OPINION]
SYSTEM OF A DOWN

The worst joke ever. I lost faith in humanity because of this band and all their fans.

Slayer

You know when people said metal was noise, not music... Well I think it's true here...

Children of Bodom

I agree SOME of the early guitar work was pretty good. I just find most of it to be uninspired and repetitive. I can't bare the voice either.

Black Sabbath (ozzy years)

Talk about uninspired.

Dragonforce

How can you like these boring riffs and "play as many notes as possible" solos? And I ain't talking about the vocals that don't help on originality.

Symphony X

Nah, just kidding. It's their music that should be on the radio. I'd be sooo happy.

[/OPINION]

This was just about metal bands. I don't mean all pop bands and artists are bad, but I hate most of the shit going on the radios nowadays.

I dont really hate anything, well wait, there are some I have a hate fetish with:
Kiss - I like Detroit Rock City if thats what its called but after the 4th listen of the origional Kiss album I'd had enough.
Foreigner - like nothing but to turn them off, Foreigner made me wish I was one of those types that could smash a jukebox

just stuff I dont get crazy about
Most of the thrash bands, it was the beginning of the ugly singing and just not for me
Metallica - Not capable of likeing them as much as my metal head friends
All of todays stuff with the "wicked" vocalization. Im there for the riffs but when the voice starts... "Im outta here"

-between the buried and me
-necrophagist/arsis/everything else like it
-wintersun (never heard them talked about outside this board, but as much as people love the here, I just don't "get it")
-Agalloch
-slayer
-king's x
-dragonforce
-anything from Fates Warning with John Arch on vocals:puke:
-segovia
-most van halen
-a good deal of Jason Becker (I always feel bad saying that because he's such a good guy and has some really good stuff but most of it...:puke:)

I'm with you on most of these Meedles. I played classical for a while...I get the Segovia thing.

Children of Bodom...good one...I agree some great guitar stuff...but BLAH!

I forgot Metallica as well...I only like Ride the Lightning...I can't stand Hammet.

Psyopus.:puke:

Banned 4 EVAH' :Smokedev:

Becker? Wow....all I can say...... How one person can have their nose so far up Govan's beard, but NOT like Jason Becker? To each their own I guess.. ;)

This shouldn't be difficult.:lol:

Genesis :puke::puke:

Kiss

The B 52s (I actually almost did vomit upon hearing one of their songs. Seriously, I'm not joking.)

Dragonfarce

Pain of Salvation

Marillion

Yngwie

Agreed on Still Life!

Sigur Ros

Metallica

Children of Bodom

etc etc

Children of Bodom...good one...I agree some great guitar stuff...but BLAH!

I forgot Metallica as well...I only like Ride the Lightning...I can't stand Hammet.

Psyopus.:puke:

+1 on Bodom

I'll always have a certain deal of respect for Hammet (albeit it's not very much these days) simply because metallica is what made me pick up a guitar in the first place and I still love some of their stuff, but in all honesty I can't say I really like Hammet's lead playing 80% of the time.

Banned 4 EVAH' :Smokedev:

Becker? Wow....all I can say...... How one person can have their nose so far up Govan's beard, but NOT like Jason Becker? To each their own I guess.. ;)

All jokes aside, there is absolutely no musical correlation between the two other than their choice of instrument and that both have (or had) some pretty intense chops...so I'm not really sure why liking one and not the other would lead to any confusion. I was careful to explain myself just a little bit so it didn't sound like I completely hated the guy (which I absolutely don't). I wont go into detail about my opinions on him because I have too much respect for him to start or incite anything that could be interpreted as offensive or negative and have his name attatched to it. While some of his stuff is great, I feel quite the opposite about the rest of it and I'll leave it at that:).

All jokes aside, there is absolutely no musical correlation between the two other than their choice of instrument and that both have (or had) some pretty intense chops...so I'm not really sure why liking one and not the other would lead to any confusion. I was careful to explain myself just a little bit so it didn't sound like I completely hated the guy (which I absolutely don't). I wont go into detail about my opinions on him because I have too much respect for him to start or incite anything that could be interpreted as offensive or negative and have his name attatched to it. While some of his stuff is great, I feel quite the opposite about the rest of it and I'll leave it at that:).

I know what you're saying. I do though feel he is/was an amazing talent and didn't have the chance to grow as an artist.

Same could be said for Shawn Lane though.:ill: (waiting for the fallout).

also...anything by Buckethead.

Sabbath with Ozzy
Marty Friedman's solo stuff
Led Zeppelin
Nirvana
SOAD
Slipknot
Korn
Limp Bizkit
are these too obvious?

you know...those bands or albums you just don't get how and why anyone likes at all yet they're considered classics or at least highly rated

For me -

Fates Warning - No Exit and others
Annihilator - Never, Neverland and anything I've ever heard
Anthrax - Among the Living and the rest
Opeth - Still Life...I like Blackwater Park and Damnation
Nevermore - Politics of Ecstasy
Pantera - all but Cowboys and Vulgar Display
Slayer - I get the significance of Reign In Blood and can tolerate it, but the rest?

Curious of some of yours.

Yup.

Also...

Metallica - Kill 'em All
Any Nu Metal band.. BLAH!
New Bodom - AYDY to present (their earlier works are untouchable)

Slayer.

Most overrated thrash band ever...

Actually, most overrated band ever.

Also, I've never really understood why there is a lot of hating around Nevermore. Sure the vocals are a bit of an acquired taste, but from a compositional perspective a lot of their music is just plain genius. They've written some of the best guitar parts I have heard in years.