Korn
Nuclear Assault
Cradle Of Filth
Deicide - Slayer did it all already
King Diamond - the solo stuff, just Merciful Fate revisited
Manowar

God this list could go on and on .... sucks being old ... lol

Cacophony - It was all done already by Malmsteen, Macalpine, and Howe

I'll have to call shenanigans on this one:)

Greg Howe's debut came out in 1989, Cacophony released Speed Metal Symphony in '87 and Go Off! in '88 and their styles are pretty separated. The Yngwie comparison is still a little bit of a stretch....they were definitely more over the top and more intricate from a compositional standpoint, though Yngwie's influence was apparent. Macalpine...probably not as much of a stretch but I still don't know that I'd lump them entirely side by side like that.

I'll have to call shenanigans on this one:)

Greg Howe's debut came out in 1989, Cacophony released Speed Metal Symphony in '87 and Go Off! in '88 and their styles are pretty separated. The Yngwie comparison is still a little bit of a stretch....they were definitely more over the top and more intricate from a compositional standpoint, though Yngwie's influence was apparent. Macalpine...probably not as much of a stretch but I still don't know that I'd lump them entirely side by side like that.

No offense to the other guy...everyone's opinion counts, but I'm with you on this one Meedles.

I like some In Flames...Jester Race has some cool moments and Colony is a good album.

Yea that Greg Howe thing thru me a bit too, his later jazz stuff even reminds me a bit of Puleo, who was recorded in '87

Slayer.

Most overrated thrash band ever...

Actually, most overrated band ever.

Also, I've never really understood why there is a lot of hating around Nevermore. Sure the vocals are a bit of an acquired taste, but from a compositional perspective a lot of their music is just plain genius. They've written some of the best guitar parts I have heard in years.

Agree on the Nevermore part.

Biggest one for me would probably have to be QUEENSRYCHE... :puke:

Obviously most mainstream and nu-metal stuff, Children Of Bodom, Joe Satriani a little bit, I don't mind him, but a bit too simple yet everyone loves him, Kenny G, not a huge fan of Segovia in the classical area, most thrash metal is overrated imo... Guthrie Govan is also overrated... :heh:(just threw that one in for Shenkadere and Drew... :p )

Biggest one for me would probably have to be QUEENSRYCHE... :puke:

Obviously most mainstream and nu-metal stuff, Children Of Bodom, Joe Satriani a little bit, I don't mind him, but a bit too simple yet everyone loves him, Kenny G, not a huge fan of Segovia in the classical area, most thrash metal is overrated imo... Guthrie Govan is also overrated... :heh:(just threw that one in for Shenkadere and Drew... :p )

Satriani +1

Symphony X. What an overrated, talentless, shitty band :lol:

Ok, serious now. I think someone already said this but Slayer has to be the most overrated band ever. I never liked Slayer and really can't understand why they have such a big following. Shitty music too :lol:

SATRIANI -2. Satch is God.

There are probably a thousand bands I could throw in here...but I'll just pick the biggest.

Led Zeppelin
Kiss
Pink Floyd
Jimi Hendrix
Slayer
Dream Theater
Rush (minus Peart)
Opeth
Steve Vai
The Beatles

I don't know if I hate any of these bands...well, maybe Slayer. But they are all quite overrated.

Now that I really think about it...Pantera...I really don't like much of their stuff at all...way overrated!

Definately agreed.

The thing that gets me the most about Pantera is the teenager following who blindly claim that "OMG OMG OMG DIMEBAG WAS THE BEST GUITARIST EPHAR!11!!1"

He was alright, thats it, nothing more, nothing less. Just alright.

The fact that he got shot made everyone think he was a guitar god or something.

I'm with the others who liked Cowboys and Vulgar. After that...meh.

Dimebag was a solid guitarist. I mean, he wasn't a proghead/jazzhead/virtuoso, so I give him credit for what he could do. He definitely had a style of playing that was unique in sound.

First of all nobody is overrated, only those that think their own opinion rules, are overrating themselves.

Most all bands/artists mentioned here were/are highly influencial in their fields/time period, that in itself proves highly questionable comments.

About Pantara - Im not a fan of that style of music, I have friends that are, but Ive watched a few Dimebag solo videos and it seems to me the guy was very talented and had his own thing going on, long before he was "shot". Thats the view from an unenthoused outsider, so once again...... see lines 1 & 2..........

if only people exerted as much of their "hatred" energy toward our fucked up corrupt governments and corporate systems as they do artists who are only expressing their personal creativity..... something they are supposed to be doing.... where as the governments are NOT! ....... just sayin, seems rediculous to hate someone for breathing into music with everything else going on out there. :erk:

Razor, I'm pretty sure "hate" was just the word choice for the thread. I doubt that many people here legitimately HATE the bands they listed.

Overrated, to me, means that their talent has been blown out of proportion. Not their influence. I had THE BEATLES on my list. Not because they were not influential, or meaningful, or talented. Just because their TALENT has been blown way out of proportion by the fans, and I don't generally enjoy their music.

If our opinions don't matter because the only thing that matters is what matters, then why do we ever talk about music. Ya dig?

I get that bad things are goin' down in the world and all that, but that doesn't mean we have to spend every discussion focusing on those things. If you do, fantastic. Please go change the world. I'll be glad to help, just let me have my BS conversations about how much Linkin Park sucks first.

Dont worry, I was just makeing a rash point about the love of music. Disliking bands such as LZ, Satriani, Queensryche, Hendrix, or Rush to name a few, kinda makes a personal statement to me that whomever has no idea what they are listening too or how to listen to music for what its worth. Always treating music as if its some kind of virtuoso competition, when in fact music was never a competition, just a personal quest of some elusive means of self expression.

Now if your talking about bands like Kiss that didnt get far past the stage of tuning their guitars and rarely tried to improve themselves or step outside their safe tiny little (makeup) box thats one thing but there are bands mentioned here that had excellent careers and made huge footprints (even Kiss)...... sorry but theres something else at work if people... especially those closely tied to music.... cant appreaciate them. Seriously, just take a look at the list, many of the bands/artists mentioned are unique...... I mean "what is going on in this town", we're not talking cookie cutter bands, is this that town where every road leading out of town brings you back into town at the other end ? ...... nevermind.... I love music, I like you guys but I just aint feeling the luv in threds like this where great bands, musicians, technique developers, barrier breakers or song writers are mysteriously being dismissed... by amature musicians no less...

Honest painful truth..... thats my story and Im stickin to it... peace love and all like that :)

It's all about fun posts airing your dirty, musical laundry. It's an interesting way to get musician's thoughts...just meant to be fun...don't take it too seriously.

Could have called it...bands that are loved by many, but you don't really like so much, but it wasn't as catchy a title.

I agree on the Beatles thing for the most part...I think their greatness came more from the studio.

I only enjoyed the Beatles briefly when I was quite young........ then I moved on to all the other bands mentioned in this thread......... guess my Grandmother should have really stuffed those knitten needles in my ears after all......... then I wouldnt be able to hear like the rest of ya's................... HA !

Honestly, I think the Beatles greatness came from.................... DRUGS