Bands that are loved by you, hated by many

Most all of the music I have listened too during my life was not warmly recieved. Most of those that eventually were happened years after. LZ, Rush, Funk, Fusion are perfect early examples. I was even into the Blues long before its popularity embrace in the mid 80's. DT & Fates Warning are good later examples.

Important thing is I dont give a shit, I've always know what I was hearing and have accurately predicted a few future trends in music.

Some of these are pretty well liked, just not in the rock/metal circle that most of my friends fall into, so that's how I'm coming up with these:

-Michael Lee Firkins....i don't think he's really all that hated, a lot of people just don't know who he is and write him off as "another one of those shrapnel guys".
-Brad Paisley-laugh all you want, but I think he writes great, catchy tunes and he's a really good fuckin' guitar player
-meat loaf
-the police (some of their stuff...definitely not all of it)
-tower of power- such an amazing group
-mr. big-there's probably no good reason I should like this band:erk:

Yep...I think firkins is one of the few real jems that shrapnel had at that time. I think he and Greg were both forced into a corner that they didn't exactly fit and I don't think either of them as many people as they would have back then if they were marketed more accordingly (or if varney had loosened his reigns a bit).

And yes, Vince Gill is pretty great too. I love this video of him and Brent Mason (another one of those "time to sell my guitar on ebay" types):

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=oeJHnkUKg_M[/ame]

As for Mr. Big...yeah, no good reason I should like them. In an attempt to gain back some street cred, I will say that they were how I first heard of both Paul Gilbert and Richie Kotzen.

Yep...I think firkins is one of the few real jems that shrapnel had at that time. I think he and Greg were both forced into a corner that they didn't exactly fit and I don't think either of them as many people as they would have back then if they were marketed more accordingly (or if varney had loosened his reigns a bit).

And yes, Vince Gill is pretty great too. I love this video of him and Brent Mason (another one of those "time to sell my guitar on ebay" types):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oeJHnkUKg_M

As for Mr. Big...yeah, no good reason I should like them. In an attempt to gain back some street cred, I will say that they were how I first heard of both Paul Gilbert and Richie Kotzen.

Gill will smoke Mason in the chicken pickin Tele stuff....that clip just doesn't show it.

I dunno about that dude....how much of Brent's stuff have you heard, aside from his session work that is? If you've got about a hundred bucks (or whatever they're going for on ebay these days) and a wife you really want to piss off by spending that much on a single CD, you should get his solo album, Hot Wired.

Brad Paisley-laugh all you want, but I think he writes great, catchy tunes and he's a really good fuckin' guitar player
+1

my last girlfriend was a huge country fan. i saw this guy live and he was great. great live show. AMAZING country guitarist too.

i don't hate DT i just think they are over rated. not terrible stuff really.

i only have one flower kings song (A Vampire's View) and i love it.... but then again i have an unhealthy mancrush on dan gildenlow...

Dream Theater would definately be one I reckon... :lol: Perhaps The Flower Kings and Neal Morse as well? Don't know if people hate them, but I sure don't know many who like them...

DT is an obvious + for me, and I like the latter two as well. Neal's lyrics can be a bit much for me sometimes but it doesn't bother me too much.

+1

my last girlfriend was a huge country fan. i saw this guy live and he was great. great live show. AMAZING country guitarist too.

^5

I've yet to see him live unfortunately, but next time I have a chance I'll definitely do so. The guy has some pretty insane chops and is a very unique player. His note choices are pretty interesting for what he does.

i guess people don't tend towards the high end technical stuff so, i'll say:

Spastic Ink
Blotted Science
Thought Chamber

but here's the place where i get to show off all the stuff i listen to that almost NO ONE else does.

for meditation
hindustani ragas (sitar)
japanese shakuhachi
chinese gu qin
iranian dasgah

some country (rubbed off from my last GF)
brad paisley
mongomery gentry
dierks bently

folk
Cat Stevens
Jethro Tull

Classical(you guys are probably alright with it but many people aren't
Igor Stravinsky
Gustav Holst
Antonio Vivaldi
Modest Mussorgsky

and the ultimate guilty pleasure....

Les Miserables

I dunno about that dude....how much of Brent's stuff have you heard, aside from his session work that is? If you've got about a hundred bucks (or whatever they're going for on ebay these days) and a wife you really want to piss off by spending that much on a single CD, you should get his solo album, Hot Wired.

Fair enough...but on the other hand...how much of Vince Gills stuff have you heard...the recorded stuff is mainly sappy country love songs...look around on Youtube...you may be pleasantly surprised. I saw him live and he was quite impressive...besides having a voice like silk...not necessarily my cup o tea, but I recognize the talent.

Just looked...there isn't much of him just flat out playing, but check this...Vince's Tele tone is inreal!
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=XcjLvWCOgb0[/ame]
How about Johnny Hiland, Meedles...familiar with him...he's amazing too!
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=JGlbmEIoGhg&feature=related[/ame]
I don't know who that second clown is, but he sucks.

That vince gill video is great...if you don't have that dvd (the players live in nashville) I highly reccomend it. Johnny Hiland is great, love his stuff. He came to my school about 2 months before I got here...the bastard! I like his PRS signature model a lot too. That other guy is (i believe) Arlen Roth. Pretty awful tone there....the playing wasn't exactly stellar either. I think my favorite country lead tone is Paisley's....those Dr. Z amps kill.