Bands that are loved by many, hated by you

I only enjoyed the Beatles briefly when I was quite young........ then I moved on to all the other bands mentioned in this thread......... guess my Grandmother should have really stuffed those knitten needles in my ears after all......... then I wouldnt be able to hear like the rest of ya's................... HA !

Honestly, I think the Beatles greatness came from.................... DRUGS

Yes i don't like the Beattles at all!! Although i've heard some funny stories about John Lennon's darker side kicking and spitting at people!!

I never liked Ozzys voice or style either and metal heads say that blasphemy... however that is a day and night comparision. Like talent, heart & soul transfered to application vs hey look at me Im the sickest freak around with a nasal voice to boot, everybody else writes my songs and I take credit, when they take me to court for it, I recut the album with someone else playing their parts... that'll teach 'em. Its funny when I say I never liked Ozzys voice, I mean from day one of Sabbaths first album, long before the truth about him came out.

So you see I just dont have what it takes to dislike or not be able to hear the real deal.

I never liked Ozzys voice or style either and metal heads say that blasphemy... however that is a day and night comparision. Like talent, heart & soul transfered to application vs hey look at me Im the sickest freak around with a nasal voice to boot, everybody else writes my songs and I take credit, when they take me to court for it, I recut the album with someone else playing their parts... that'll teach 'em. Its funny when I say I never liked Ozzys voice, I mean from day one of Sabbaths first album, long before the truth about him came out.

So you see I just dont have what it takes to dislike or not be able to hear the real deal.

The only thing Ozzy really did was bring Rhoads out of obscurity. Sure he was part of Sabbath...big deal. Priest did more for forming metal than Sabbath ever did...I don't understand how that's not obvious. Sad Wings of Destiny is really the first "metal" album IMO.

Priest did more for forming metal than Sabbath ever did...I don't understand how that's not obvious. Sad Wings of Destiny is really the first "metal" album IMO.

While I'll agree that Ozzy definitely has no hold on my heart as far as a God of Metal goes (Dio Sabbath = 10x better), I vehemently disagree with anyone who says that Sabbath did not shape the way of things to come in metal.

With no knock against Priest (though I could never get into them), and a personal bias against Ozzy put aside, I still hold that Sabbath were the forerunners.

While I'll agree that Ozzy definitely has no hold on my heart as far as a God of Metal goes (Dio Sabbath = 10x better), I vehemently disagree with anyone who says that Sabbath did not shape the way of things to come in metal.

With no knock against Priest (though I could never get into them), and a personal bias against Ozzy put aside, I still hold that Sabbath were the forerunners.

Priest were really the first to break away from the blues based stuff...Sabbath still hung on to a lot of hippy rock feel...some of it sounds like it's out a go-go bar...listen to Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath for example...not the title track, but the rest of the album. They may have been in the forefront, but Priest did more to shape modern metal.

Priest were really the first to break away from the blues based stuff

Amen...
sings "Tyrant- capturer of humanity. Tyrant- conquerer of them all. Tyrant- hideous destructor. Tyrant- every man shall fall!!!!"

Possibly, but Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath was like what...their 3rd album?

I'm not discounting Priest's credit, but Sabbath was there first. They spearheaded the whole thing.

Plus, Black Sabbath s/t = 7 years prior to Sad Wings

There were other heavy bands too...Blue Cheer, Budgie, Hawkwind...listen to how bluesy Sabbaths first albums are...Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was their 5th album, 1975...some of that sounds like pop thanks to Rick Wakefield.

Sad Wings was '76, but Rock a Rolla was '74.

I guess I don't really see early Sabbath as metal. Sure some of the elements were there, but I see it more as an offshoot of the hippy, stoner 60's music...for that matter, is the heavier Hendrix metal, or Led Zeppelin? not really.

I'm not arguing...just explaining my opinion. I'm not saying your wrong. I just feel Priest made the defining moves.

Sorry I didnt mean to go around the corner with Ozzy there, but I get going on Ozzy and I need to be slapped to snap out of it..... lol I was just makeing that comparision due to basphomy being mentioned.

Roots of "metal" ???? I could go on forever but no one would agree with me and all the little twists of hard rock vs metal, it just gets nuts. Then metal has many tributaries and a few branches insists on getting more extreme every year... to the point now where I have heard many younger people say 80's metal isnt really metal....... its 80's hard rock...... :zombie:

First I'll just mention Rock a Rolla, I had only borrowed that for awhile like 18 years ago, so I cant say what its importance was back in the mid 70's. But my impression was "wow, Priest used to be a hardrock band." I was unaware that they were that much of an older band. I remember I liked it some but not as much as my early 70's "hardrock".

I agree with Schenkadere in a similiar way however. I have always felt Sabbath got too much credit, or that they seemed to get all the credit.

First you can go back to '67 when Jimi wrote Purple Haze, thats is when the poundin began, he had a few heavy hitters on that record. Sure not exactly "metal" but it pounds, it pumps, it was the beginning

69, 70 & '71 were some big years for a new sound
LZ - Whole Lotta Love - good example of a early driven metal riff, then came Immigrant Song in '71 if thats not a metal riff I dont know what is.
'70 Black Sabbath releases first record, contains many different sounds, good record
'70 Uriah Heep releases first record, these guys however primitive used alot of heavy distorted pedalin riffs, they also used many other sounds and were not about being "Evil" but they still could stew up a dark sound
'70 Atomic Rooster - releases "Death Walks Behind You" lots of dark stuff on that
Deep Purple....... anyone? I'd have to check cronology but they were there, working their own little twist but I think Machine Head was '71, it was like their ? 5th record ?. Highway Star
Jethro Tull - yea go ahead laugh, you wouldnt be if you were around in those years, there is no doubt in my mind that these guys influenced early metal bands. I think Aqualung was '71, listen to Cross Eyed Mary and imagine the same song with modern distortion
Alice Cooper - again I'd need to check cronology but I think "Killer", their third recording was '71 mixed bag of sounds like all the other bands but whos going to question Alice and the boys influence ? Who ever talks about Glen Buxton ? Maybe not a virutoso but great origional song writer.

Then theres other agressive bands of the same 69 70 era... Mountain, James Gang, The Guess Who "American Woman", Ive read "Free" was an important hitter in England, I know we all dug "Alright Now", didnt mention "Inagoddadivida", Rush was not far behind, a song by The Crazy World of Arthor Brown called Fire, that was like maybe '67.

Other bands like Schenkadere mentioned Im not fimiliar with... another one Trapeze. Shit what about Hocus Pocus by Focus.... that was '71, Helloween covered this song. Maiden covered Tulls Crosseyed Mary. Edgar Winters "Frankenstien" was '71, Grand Funk was very aggressive and they were recording in 69 & 70, Queens debut was '71 I think, maybe later, thats got some heavy shit on it.

Sabbath had a few things, like the darkness, Iommi tuned down to C I think due to a hand injury but I mean Iron Man... come on, I was sick of that song fast, Paranoid, Faries Ware Boots, ect. is another story but like I mentioned other bands, especially like LZ, Heep and Atomic Rooster had their share of heavy pounding songs right along side of Sabbath.

Thats all I know, thats the music I was listening to in those very early years and I'm telling everyone, Black Sabbath was not an island, they were not alone in this movement of what eventually evolved into what was called heavy metal. Neither was Priest, even though, like Sabbath they survived and were active and instrumental during the full fledged metal years.

It means this, cross posted from the other thread since I did it backwards:

Anthrax/SoD/MoD
Freak Kitchen
Nightwish
Nevermore
Radiohead

I'll think of more later

EDIT: haha, just realized I did this backwards. Everybody loves these bands^ I can't stand them.

It means this, cross posted from the other thread since I did it backwards:

Anthrax/SoD/MoD
Freak Kitchen
Nightwish
Nevermore
Radiohead

I'll think of more later

EDIT: haha, just realized I did this backwards. Everybody loves these bands^ I can't stand them.

I agree with all of them...except MOD...I like a lot of Billy's stuff...plus I love him personally...he's a great, old friend.

Here we go: Children of Bodom. Why do people like this band? or Cradle of Filth for that matter, or Yngwie Malmsteen?

note: this is a rhetorical question. don't actually answer. :lol:

Dont forget ZZ Top's first album was in 71 also... its well known they have influenced a ton of metal bands / guitarists ..

Its been forever that I have seen someone mention Atomic Rooster , my Uncle had Death walks behind you on vinyl, I used to listen to that when i was very young.

Dont forget ZZ Top's first album was in 71 also... its well known they have influenced a ton of metal bands / guitarists ..

Its been forever that I have seen someone mention Atomic Rooster , my Uncle had Death walks behind you on vinyl, I used to listen to that when i was very young.

We listened to Tres Hombres & Fandango alot in the early/mid 70's as well. I see now thats their third & fourth album (73&75) but Tres Hombres was the first we had heard of them. That was common back then, bands needed to break the airwaves to get nation wide attention. ZZ was a big influence on me thats foresure, but more on the blues side than anything. They still had their share of riffage and poundin' though. More than anything they brought boogie in hardrock to popular attention.

Rooster went all to hell after DWBY, I've heard nothing after, that was even remotely similiar. Which was common in the 70's as well. In many instances I could almost believe there was some kind of emphisis placed on the next album sounding NOTHING like the last. I dont think it worked well for those bands either, the ones that survived stuck closer to a single format.

Golden Earing - Radar Love - '73 was another important song and that was from their 9th studio album

Yeah Id agree.. believe it or not some people would try to throw The Kinks into a dicussion like this also.. however I just dont see the "metal" aspect.. in some ways I can see the arguement.. however i tend to think of them as fore fathers more along the lines of hard rock.. even glam rock.. however they definitly had some sort of edge for a 60's band.