Bands that deserve more credit than they get

Opeth. *ducks*

Seriously though, it is almost unheard of for bands to exist for 20 or more years, and write 9 albums without having made a bad album, or something that is so run of the mill that no one gives a shit about. Opeth has never done this.

With Opeth it's pretty relative. Everything is run of the mill compared to BWP or SL.

With Opeth it's pretty relative. Everything is run of the mill compared to BWP or SL.

Not even. While I hold Still Life above the rest, to say BWP is that much better than MAYH and Deliverance, and to a certain extent Morningrise, is just lunacy. I'm not going to go and rank all of their albums, but there's no way you could ever convince me or anyone who actually knows Opeth's discography that they only have two great albums and then the rest of their material. No way in hell.

Fuck i gotta agree with chimaira.
They definatley have produced some crap, but mainly early on. They have also produced some incredible albums too.

Wtf Opeth is the most overrated band in the history of the world, in Europe at least. Everyone spends every minute of every gig talking about how Mikael Aakerfeldt is God on Earth and writes the best music known to man and has the most beautiful voice of any human etc. etc.

Volbeat are also super-fuckin-popular over here right now, but that's cool because they are clearly 100% more badass than Opeth ;D

Not even. While I hold Still Life above the rest, to say BWP is that much better than MAYH and Deliverance, and to a certain extent Morningrise, is just lunacy. I'm not going to go and rank all of their albums, but there's no way you could ever convince me or anyone who actually knows Opeth's discography that they only have two great albums and then the rest of their material. No way in hell.

Dark Angel, Sepultura and Possessed.
For me 3 of my favourite thrash albums are, Darkness Descends, Beneath the Remains and Seven Churches, I don't think these bands get enough credit as the big four do. 3 of the best metal albums ever In my opinion.:Smokedev:

I think I'm interpreting this topic differently than most of you. Megadeth, for example, deserves a lot of credit, because they were innovative and original, if not influential. Megadeth too often gets wrote off as a Metallica rip-off, but if you listen to most melodeath and metalcore bands these days, you will hear some Megadeath influence, more so than Metallica.

Actually, most of the thrash I hear in core comes directly from Puppets. You may be getting confused by hardcore parts that sound pretty metal. Also, good idea. Megadeth deserve more credit for inspiring metalcore. Thanks, Dave!

Actually, all metalcore bands need to give credit to Agnostic Front and Vision Of Disorder, but only a few (mostly good ones) can rightly credit Megadeth for influencing them. I understand that metalcore is over saturated and glutted with shit, but there are a few diamonds in the rough. For example, what do you think of your countrymen, Threat Signal, WAIF? They're a good Megadeth influenced metalcore band, IMO.

For example, what do you think of your countrymen, Threat Signal, WAIF?.

Heh, saw them live opening for Dark Tranquillity. They were meh and didn't remind me of Megadeth at all and the singer kind of tried to hit on the girl I was with. Not the worst band there, though.

Actually, that really does remind me of later Megadeth. But Megadeth weren't really good after the first two albums (aside from Hanger 18), so that's not really a great thing.
EDIT: Song is epically gay, btw

Fuck i gotta agree with chimaira.
They definatley have produced some crap, but mainly early on. They have also produced some incredible albums too.

True they did have some pretty bad stuff at first but, every band produces some bad music at one point or another

Volbeat are also super-fuckin-popular over here right now, but that's cool because they are clearly 100% more badass than Opeth ;D

Yeah like i said they aren't really underrated in europe but I don't know more than a handful of people other than myself where I live that has ever heard of volbeat I was mainly talking about north america for that one

Watchtower is easily the most underrated band in metal. Listen to Life Cycles and then Cynic's Focus. Or Argonne Forest and ITP/Symbolic-era Death. Or The Fall of Reason and early Dream Theater. Or any of Control & Resistance and Spiral Architect. Or any Watchtower period and Fates Warning's No Exit. Virtually every major tech/prog band of the late 80's/early 90's wore Watchtower all over their sleeves and a lot of people are unaware of them, or write them off because their vocals. Aside from the biggest of big-names I don't think any metal band was as far ahead of the curve as they were.