Bands that evolve greatly

Alright, before I take my nap, I gotta know this...

Grimarse, what the hell does this mean:

non gratum anus rodentum

Blinded By Blood said:
Can you guys think of any bands that made a complete change around for the better in their career? Katatonia and Ulver are the two main examples I can think of

Ulver didn't change for the better.

Arcturus is a much better example of how a black metal band should evolve to such extent.

i was originally going to post:
death
opeth
at the gates
amorphis
sentenced

because i didnt read the original post in enough detail. i just assumed because katatonia was mentioned we were just talking about bands that developed a completely different sound. then i re-read and noticed it was bands who "bettered" their sounds. i disagree with katatonia and cant think of any band that changed significantly for the better. although primodial's sound is somewhat different on the gathering wilderness compared to imrama, but both are good.

I would say opeth has changed for the better. The band originally was a gothenburged styled death metal band just alittle less typical. Mikaels clean vocals have greatly improved. The band started expirimenting musically and clean vocal greatly improved. The band song writing is more focused and directed. Opeth have released a neat soft album.

Opeth now is ten times more than if they would have played typical gothenburg metal melodies. Not that I don't think the first 2 albums are great, but why go down as another gothenburg influenced melodic metal band.

The Greys said:
I would say opeth has changed for the better. The band originally was a gothenburged styled death metal band just alittle less typical.

what decadent said. deliverance and the ghost reveries are two of the worst albums i have ever heard (well GR in particular, but deliverance is pretty fucking boring). That and damnation was nothing above mediocre. so i dont see how they are getting any better.

also, werent you just arguing with me in your thread saying that morningrise (and opeth in general) aren't DEATH METAL?

To add to that, Opeth's latest work is far more derivative than their earlier albums. About half of Deliverance is a homage to Morbid Angel, Damnation is just pure 70's prog worship, and GR is something in between with a lot of Still Life thrown in to show that "they've still got it".

When in the death metal thread I did not see opeth as death metal. I guess you could label morningrise as melodic death metal or gothenburg. The point of my poll was to vote on actually death metal albums that are pure to the genre in a sense. I'm just going to put a cd on there because growling vocals or something. It was not a melodic death poll.

My Arms Your Hearse, Still Life,Blackwater Park,Damnation > Orchid, Morningrise. I enjoy Deliverance and Ghost Reveries. I like gothenburg melodies but they get old quick and the band can't just keep putting out melodic death metal albums. This is where people in metal get stupid regarding music. The newer albums are less redundant then the first two.

...and why do people expect so much from opeth over bands. Opeth can't get away with things but everyone can that plays music. They're just a band and still less redundant than a lot of heavy bands. Some of you don't even realize how hypocritical your are being with your outlook towards music. Your favorite bands can do the samething for 10 years and if opeth repeats something or shows infleunces it's wrong. Some of you like bands that are so worship to an infleunced but if opeth wants to put some morbid angel style riffs on a cd it's wrong.

Agalloch has 3 cds and the last 2 are exactly the same, but that's ok!.

Darkthrone can release the same black metal cds with celtic frost riffs for 15 years and opeth repeats themselves they are not longer good or something. ok

Every chasm cd is the same, every incantation cd is the same, and yeah I like both but there is no reason to pick out things in a band.

Arcturus is NOT a good example of a BM band improving, the new one is utter trash. In fact they've done nothing good since La Masquerade....

The Greys said:
When in the death metal thread I did not see opeth as death metal. I guess you could label morningrise as melodic death metal or gothenburg. The point of my poll was to vote on actually death metal albums that are pure to the genre in a sense. I'm just going to put a cd on there because growling vocals or something. It was not a melodic death poll.

My Arms Your Hearse, Still Life,Blackwater Park,Damnation > Orchid, Morningrise. I enjoy Deliverance and Ghost Reveries. I like gothenburg melodies but they get old quick and the band can't just keep putting out melodic death metal albums. This is where people in metal get stupid regarding music. The newer albums are less redundant then the first two.

and why do people expect to much from opeth over bands. Opeth can't get away with things but everyone can.

what? you are giving me a headache *argh*

from your list, all of the following bands could be considered melodic death metal:
at the gates - the red in the sky is ours (starting to doubt whether you have indeed actually heard it)
amorphis - the karelian isthmus

so why is opeth suddenly left out? also just because opeth is from sweden doesnt mean they have the "gothenburg sound". they were melodic, but like decadent said, vastly different to your typical melodeath gothenburg band. and finally, i have no greater expectation of opeth than i have of any other band. the fact is, post morningrise they got progressively worse. you cant seriously tell me you dont find songs like master's apprentice fucking boring.

ps: what the hell does the bolded sentence mean? what are you talking about?

The gap between "Morningrise" and "Lunar Strain" is not that great. Furthermore, Opeth was a much better melodeath band than a ... whatever-the-hell-they-are-now kinda band. Also, Mikael's vocals have taken a turn for the far far far far worse on "Ghost Reveries". Actually, I'd go as far as saying that he sounds like a bloody pop singer now!

talk about getting defensive about opeth. the new material sucks. get over it. what the fuck have other peoples opinions about bands i personally dont even like (i.e. darkthrone) got to do with my opinion about the ghost reveries.

I find it funny when people bash opeth for repeating themselves when all your bands do the samething.

what's any different.

Do I bash Agalloch because they're 3 cds into their carrer and their last two cds are the same thing, the 3rd not being as good the previous ?. A band so new. What's with that

Fact
Orchid and Morningrise > all other Opeth Relases

GR is the best album they have put out since still life IMO, and even still life got fucking boring most of the time. Deliverance has one of Opeths greatest songs, deliverance, but is also, on the whole, a boring album to listen to. mayh and bwp have glimps of greatness but are so over rated its just stupid. Damnation sucks.

Okay, you've just completely invalidated any points you might have accidentally made. Pale Folklore and The Mantle sound the same? And Ashes Against the Grain isn't even fucking out yet, but I'd confidently vouch for it to come quite close to toppling The Mantle from its current throne.

Ashes Against The Grain sounds like the mantle not as good, but it's ok if agalloch repeat themselves... it's ok.

I understand.

i never said i didnt like new opeth because they have repeated themselves. in fact i dont think anyone did. decadent said GR contains traces of Still Life - but that's not the crux of the issue with that album. That album sucks for so many more reasons than it sounding somewhat "Still Life-ish". so im not going to sit here and justify why i can like bands who "repeat themselves" even though generally i dont. so what are you getting at?

also pale folklore and the mantle dont sound at all the same - they are similar styles, but thats about it. ashes against the grain im not going to comment on, as ive only listened to it once (although the 5th track kicks all sorts of arse).